Your Fiverr Buying Story

smudged

Recently I have been trying to have a text translated from English to French. I originally had a wonderful individual who translated the text by hand and it was authentic and genuine. I was able to use and publish it as I wanted.

I have since lost this contact and I had to search for another translator that could offer the same quality. I told myself “No Problem, tons of translators on Fiverr” … boy was I wrong.

I bought a gig from the first seller and received the translation very fast. I opened it, read through it and decided to compare it with a copy and paste of the Google translation… DING DING DING, 98% match. I stumbled upon a GOOGLE PLAGIARIZER. Copies and pastes results and skims through the text quickly to catch the Google mistakes. The first translator that did this to me made awful mistakes it was a real joke.

The second seller that did this to me was much more careful with the corrections and only made one error however, still a 97% Google Translation match. I’m assuming people aren’t aware that plagiarism checkers exist and one only has to compare the Google results with Seller results.

I have found a new translator that does produce GENUINE translations. I am willing to put my name on the line for her work. Her Username is Frenchshrimp and her Gig can be found here:

https://www.fiverr.com/frenchshrimp/translate-any-text-from-english-to-french?funnel=2014111618451577512808980

I have all the comparison proof required alongside my ability to read french to say that this Gig is genuine and the translation offered by Frenchshrimp is 100% done by hand, by her. She deserves to be recognized for this and not thrown into the pile with the Google Plagiarizers.

Slap a genuine sticker on her.

-Max

Concerned for the Fiverr buyers who cannot verify the translations they receive from their sellers.

(Posted in Suggestions & Fiverr Stories)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi guys, I’m new to this website and I wanted a graphic designer to help me out and make an infographic or two look better/more professional. What’s the best way to do this - is it best to just pick an infographic designer and ask if they can do it? I don’t want to post a link to the work on here in case it’s not allowed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! =)

Hey ezyaccess (tried to send this privately but couldn’t)

I haven’t ordered any graphic design gig yet so can’t vouch for anybody but one thing is for sure - if you’re paying 5 bucks, don’t expect miracles and do expect frauds.

Communicate with the seller beforehand and make sure that in your message you make it clear that you are looking for a graphic designer offering genuine work created by the seller. Nothing stops individuals from offering ‘professional’ work that in reality is a knock-off. A copyright infringement court case is never something I want to have to deal with, and I’m assuming you wouldn’t want to either.

Secondly, inform yourself of the copyright and what you can do with the design they delivered. Are you going to publish the graphics? Resell? etc… etc…

If they lie to you, you have the evidence.

One important fact that you have to realize is that the people who ARE truthful and offer services that normally would cost hundreds of dollars for $5 are working below poverty level.

Research your seller, converse a lot about what you’re looking for and ask to see prior work before buying their gig.

Oh and if you do land on a person that completely surpasses your expectations and the work is genuine, know that giving them a little more cheese for the same amount of work is still the best bargain you will find in your life.

-Max

• 2 weeks later...

I have no gigs for sale on fiverr, I’ve only been a buyer, and some things became obvious within ten minutes of browsing sellers’ gigs.

For those who don’t speak English as a first language, I would recommend that you make sure a buyer knows that you want to completely understand their request. I think it is probably very difficult for some people who have English as a second language, and even though they might be offering good gigs, there may be problems because of that. So much comes down to communication. I don’t speak any other language very well, so I am impressed when sellers from other countries try to sell in English. I have purchased from sellers who say “I don’t speak English very well but I want to make sure we understand each other. You will get my best effort” or something. I appreciate sincerity. And a note to other buyers: Just because a seller may not speak English doesn’t mean anything at all about the quality of their work. It’s a big, wide world and there is talent everywhere.

Most sellers delivered what they said they would. I think out of my last 25 orders only two came back as going over the deadline with no communication at all. These are probably sellers who signed up on fiverr, didn’t get many orders, and just never logged in again. Not professional, but not unexpected.

I think it needs to be made more clear to buyers that they should be more honest when leaving feedback and what happens when they do. Mostly this is because of eBay, which has a totally meaningless feedback system, either you leave five stars or else. I either leave five stars all the way, or I don’t leave feedback at all. I don’t want to hurt a seller’s reputation, so if I’m not happy and they don’t want to correct the situation I just resolve never to buy from them again. That has happened twice. But when I leave five stars I mean it. I think people expect too much from five bucks and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by most sellers.

The difference in every single case has been in communication. You can’t expect a lot of orders with a ten-word description of your gig followed by “Order now it’s amazing I’m the best”. I have honestly seen a description beneath a gig that was basically “Order from us cuz we da best bro”. That tells a buyer nothing at all except that the seller is too lazy to inform me about exactly what I’ll get. I think I’ve sent three orders back for revision. Two were over-the-top accommodating about it and one…wasn’t, let’s put it that way.

I don’t know if sellers can set up an autoresponder or not, but I would strongly encourage that, just a note for the buyer that says “I just got your order and want to thank you for your business. I’ve got other orders in the queue and am working hard for those customers just as I will for you. I will respond as fast as I can. In the meantime, if you can think of anything that will help me do a better job for you, let me know. And be sure to check out my other gigs to see if there’s anything else I can do for you.” Then provide a link to those gigs.

Business is about building relationships. I realize that many gigs are a one-off, such as designing a logo or singing a birthday song, which you can’t really expect repeat business from. But can you make a collage of those videos and put it on youtube for more advertising? What about offering referral bonuses, I don’t know if fiverr has a system for that or not.

If you’re in a competitive area, such as SEO marketing where every seller promises to deliver amazing results, put the amazing results that your buyers have got in your listing. If you are offering bot visits, say so. Maybe all a buyer needs is bot visits to increase the number of views on their video. If you’re offering organic traffic but can only do a few hundred visits, say that. Emphasize the quality of the traffic and say where it comes from. Any website owner who orders is going to check for results and if they’re disappointing, down go your ratings.

The worst thing you can do is lie about what you’re offering. I’ve seen this with photo editing gigs, where the seller actually wanted me to believe that my image would be on a billboard in Times Square. Right next to his listing in the gig gallery was exactly the same photoshopped image from a seller who made a point of saying “This is for a realistically photo edited image, not the actual billboard”. Which brings up another point - check out what other sellers are offering! That way you can zero in on what makes your gig different.

Is there some way to do the work once, and then offer it as a gig that works for all sellers? I’ve ordered from a seller who did videos. He has built up a number of generic stock videos that work in any situation. He only had to do that once, and now he can offer it as a gig that pays again and again.

Lastly, think of fiverr as a place where people can exchange their creativity. If you’re relying on it for income, that can happen too. I’ve bought from people whose business is doing fiverr gigs, that’s all they do and it’s their sole source of steady income. That can happen. But until you get there, think of it as paid practice. Sort of like a band playing in a bar with no customers. Instead of getting mad that nobody came to the gig, think of it as paid rehearsal.

A big shot is just a little shot who kept on shootin’.

• 1 month later...

Our bands Fiverr Tribute video ** MOUSE Vs CHRISZIO : 1/2 Wig Fiverr Dance Remix.

Not only was our first Ep mixed and mastered on Fiverr but we have just made a multi gig Fiverr Tribute dance remix video, featuring some dance remixes via Fiverr and a multitude of classic Fiverr dancers from around the world all compiled into this Minimix tribute to all that is Fiverr.

Reply to @vainpaper: Exactly! As a buyer who has never met nor able to talk to sellers, how are sellers supposed to adequately deliver what the buyer wants if they don’t want buyers asking questions? I’m in that situation right now and he claims he knows what I want and seems to refuse any communication unless it’s started by him. It’s as if all they want is payment upfront and to be left alone–then are butt hurt and crying about how much effort they put in doing the gig when they deliver the work and the buyer hates it! I ordered a (Whiteboard Animation) gig on Mon Jan 6; It’s now, Friday, Jan 9th and I can’t wait until Sun (Jan 11th, 2015) to see what my 2nd seller sends me!

(Fri Jan 8th, 2015) As a buyer, my biggest gripe with sellers is, LACK of communication! They don’t seem to want to get a real deep understanding of what buyers are looking for. They only want a few lines of info from a buyer and want no more communication, then can’t understand why buyers don’t like what they were sold. The worst part is them being mad because you’re angry, wanting a refund on what “they claim” is their “best” work! Yeah, right!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a few services here on fiverr and have to say my first thoughts are you pay for what you get.

Though in fairness and understanding the cheaper of the things I paid for actually communicated rapidly and was very polite ,however the end result was not able to be used so it was a waste of time and effort , to be honest im more disappointed it didn’t pan out so well that seller had potential to really get some cool stuff happening.

Next one is a work in progress … and substantially more then $5 , im very hopeful it isn’t a waste of time (though I do have good feelings about this one) and haven’t started it off well with a misshap where I selected the wrong thing in paypal , im in the process of fixing this with some luck it will be fixed and I can see some work happening.

So all in all its still early days had fiver recommended to me by someone that used it here in Australia and I did get a delivered product on my first order so I am not complaining.

Definitely a good service to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Reply to @safwan:

This is sad to see you post not one but two misleading statements.

Explaining more : The level of a seller in no way assures the buyer of a better result. Some newer sellers work harder to get a reputation , and will deliver more then a level 2 seller sometimes.(not always)

Secondly it is futile in most cases to bother contacting sellers before purchase as the buyer may find they hold off a project just to wait for a reply that never comes from busy sellers that wont talk to buyers unless they have purchased.

Despite the fact you would very much like buyers to jump your hoops it is not always in their best interest to do so, however your point about checking credibility should not be entirely dismissed and one should check it based on common sense.

Hi I found Fiverr very difficult to work with at first, with no outside contact with the vendor, problems uploading files and no visible ‘help’ in the website, problem solving was quite difficult… plus it’s quite difficult to explain exactly what you’re looking for in a message…but I’ve been using it for nearly a month now and have found some wonderful professionals on here…

Being self employed is quite a lonely business, but having Fiverr is like brainstorming with an amazing set of friends who understand what you’re looking for!

Thank you to everyone who has added their input to my business, I’ve felt truly inspired… particularly Jesse at https://www.fiverr.com/enoproductions and Lemon at https://www.fiverr.com/lemonjolly for amazing customer service 🙂

Usually I’m more of a seller than a buyer, but, recently, I ordered a GIG to help me increase traffic of my website. Before ordering, I searched for the best possible quality, checked sellers reviews, rating, communication and all, then I asked a few clarifying questions, and then I ordered. Problem is: I never received anything (no traffic), even if this TOP RATED seller claims everything was done.

The truth: nothing done, my money gone. Money that I worked to obtain, here on Fiverr.

This doesn’t mean that I’ll stop trusting other sellers, but, it’s a big red flag is a top and high rated seller didn’t do it’s job. I’m afraid of doing my next purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When the GIG sounds to good to be true, probably it is not true.

I was scammed by Fragglesrock in their GIG “I will give you 10 amazing and UNIQUE articles”. Yes, the articles look unique at the first impression but I discovered the trick one month later.

NONE of the 22 articles they provided were unique; yes I ordered all the Extras because I was impressed from their deliverables!

I know the technique they are using to make the article look unique.

I’ll show you exactly how they do it.

Look below:

“Jobs Search - Against All Odds and the Recession”

"Jobs Search - Аgаіnst Аll Odds аnd thе Recession"

Do you recognize any difference? Let us use Google search: Copy the first line and search for the exact phrase in Google: “Jobs Search - Against All Odds and the Recession”. You will find the article they used; not unique at all.

Now Copy the second line and search for the exact phrase in Google: “Jobs Search - Аgаіnst Аll Odds аnd thе Recession”. Did not match any document! And this is what they sent you!

They replace some of the English characters from the articles they are copying with some of Unicode characters that looks exactly the same.

I can’t do anything about it since more than 3 days passed; Fiverr won’t allow me to send any kind of complain after 3 days!

The GIG is still online with a lot of 5 star rating, it is hard to discover the trick within 3 days:

I recognize sellers are people trying to earn extra income or Fiverr is their sole source of earnings but Fiverr should offer some basic tips:

#1 For seller’s whose second language is English, stop referring to every client as “sir”. Even when I requested not to be referred to as “sir”, the seller continued to address me in that manner. In fact, every seller continues to address me as sir when it would be safer to address me by using my username.

#2 Don’t mark a gig as delivered when that is not the truth and you haven’t contacted the buyer to let them know you’re running behind schedule. Lying never makes a good first impression.

#3 Don’t beg for a five star review. A seller marked the gig as delivered when, in fact, he was behind schedule. When I contacted him about marking the gig as delivered he apologized and asked for a five star review. He asked over and over and over again. I was happy with the final result and gave him a tip but I opted not to leave a review.

#4 Sellers – sometimes a bad review is because your deliverable was bad. I know reviews drive a seller’s rating and I’ll leave a good review even if I’m not completely satisfied or I won’t leave a review at all. And even though sellers are willing to make as many revisions as necessary to get their five star review (see #3) it’s not worth my time to go back & forth numerous times for a $5 -$20 gig. Of course, the inevitable email begging for a less than 5 star review be removed was immediately sent by the seller. But I gave the seller the option to mutually cancel the order after the disastrous first submission but they refused.

I’m satisfied with almost all my gigs but I must admit I have modest expectations. Despite the promise of amazing services by sellers we’re still talking about paying only $5.

It’s common knowledge that developing apps can cost an arm and a leg. I came across Fiverr through researching freelancing websites, and became a buyer before a seller here. I’m a recent college graduate and started working in a business company last September. I was restless… I wanted to make an impression, to leave my mark on the company, and I didn’t like being in the newbie’s position of doing simple, repetitive paperwork - so I turned to Fiverr when a sudden idea came to mind.

The company I work for owns several restaurants. One of these is a French-themed restaurant cafe, one of the most popular cafes in the country. It has been running for almost ten years now and I thought I could introduce something new to it to enhance the customer experience and to decrease the restaurant’s menu prints cost in the long run - hence, the idea to develop a menu app for the restaurant was born.

I found an iOS app developer here on Fiverr whom I felt was promising. I had an idea, he confidently declared his ability to bring my visions to reality and right then and there I suddenly found myself working with the developer. I waited until the final build was completed and cleared of any remaining bugs before I requested a meeting with the CEO and VP of the company last month. I showed them what I had and they were really impressed! Both were excited to launch the app in the restaurant. They inquired about the cost of the app and I told them not to worry about it, that it was a gift from me to the company (yes, it was THAT affordable!) and they were most humbled. We made plans to purchase the 1st generation iPad mini going with my cost-effective strategy because we didn’t need the newest model to run the app. Today, we are just waiting for the photographer that the company hired to shoot photos of all menu items to be incorporated in the app before it is finally ready.

All in all, Fiverr has certainly made my life much more exciting from both a buyer and seller perspective.

http://forum.fiverr.com/uploads/FileUpload/e3/3298d6e1a44e36e1949fc7c767fe36.jpg

http://forum.fiverr.com/uploads/FileUpload/f7/8b8e05d853b5e077cad42d399c8c21.png

Archived