Critique my work?

wooden_fish

No I don’t but maybe that’s just me. I’m trying to give up coffee and not very alert. Oh weather? Yes I see it now. Probably on a page about weather they would work.

If the lightening bolt was more vertical, like it is coming down from the sky, and the snowflake had pointed tips rather than oval tips, and the raindrop was slightly narrower and less round it would help.

Oh weather?

I didn’t notice it either the first time I looked at these 🙂

And that’s why for example I wouldn’t be able to use these. I’d go for stock icons like these which are included in my monthly subscription among thousands of other icons. There’s nothing special about these, but they are easily understandable and almost all decent stock sites have them.

image.thumb.jpg.9a9c56c3adc0756cdaff5e4bf98ccd4f.jpg

I think if @wooden_fish would create some unique icons that are not so common, he might get some sales.

Right now there are way too many alternatives that might fit better for an average use.

Oh weather?

I didn’t notice it either the first time I looked at these 🙂

And that’s why for example I wouldn’t be able to use these. I’d go for stock icons like these which are included in my monthly subscription among thousands of other icons. There’s nothing special about these, but they are easily understandable and almost all decent stock sites have them.

I think if @wooden_fish would create some unique icons that are not so common, he might get some sales.

Right now there are way too many alternatives that might fit better for an average use.

They need to be easily recognizable.

You can always add colors to the stock ones if you want to. I don’t like the stock ones either though.

My first requirement is to look like the thing it is representing so there is no mistaking it. The second is to not look “cute” or cartoonish. The third one is to be pleasing to the eye.

They need to be easily recognizable.

You can always add colors to the stock ones if you want to. I don’t like the stock ones either though.

My first requirement is to look like the thing it is representing so there is no mistaking it. The second is to not look “cute” or cartoonish. The third one is to be pleasing to the eye.

I don’t like the stock ones either though.

It depends on the purpose.

When we’re talking about website design then icons help users easily navigate, find and categorize relevant information. Stock icons are not necessarily meant to make the site pretty or unique.

For example, if you go to Apple’s website, then there’s nothing special about these 2 icons, but you can instantly tell that first is magnifying glass for search and second is a shopping bag for store.

image.png.bbd401da3f131b1c14fff753cdf77647.png

@wooden_fish I would first recommend figuring out who’s your target audience? I can tell you my opinion from web development POV, but if you’re targeting a different audience then you can ignore my comments 🙂

Probably just a poor style choice. Anyone have an idea for a niche theme for me to work on for practice/gig images?

Anyone have an idea for a niche theme for me to work on for practice/gig images?

You could do something seasonal (current season) and maybe that would help it.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

That’s a good example for a different type of audience.

These won’t work for web design due to format, weight & lack of flexibility from coding side, but there definitely is market for it. Probably even a bigger market as developers go for SVG nowadays.

@wooden_fish if you can make something like misscrystal posted then create a gig for that.

If the use case is unique enough then $25 for a small set is OK 🙂

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

With that highlight and gradient I hardly see where you could use these specific icons besides a PowerPoint or something. They don’t seem to work well for web or print IMO.

@uxreview, assuming I do want to focus icon design on web/mobile ui, what suggestions do you have from a backend perspective. When you’re building a site, what file type, resolution, etc is best?

With that highlight and gradient I hardly see where you could use these specific icons besides a PowerPoint or something. They don’t seem to work well for web or print IMO.

@uxreview, assuming I do want to focus icon design on web/mobile ui, what suggestions do you have from a backend perspective. When you’re building a site, what file type, resolution, etc is best?

When you’re building a site, what file type, resolution, etc is best?

I prefer using SVG because it can be directly manipulated by JS or CSS.

I have monthly subscription to multiple sites like flaticon.com, but even with 1M+ icons they don’t cover everything. If you don’t make sales here, then you might wish to sell directly to stocks.

When you’re building a site, what file type, resolution, etc is best?

I prefer using SVG because it can be directly manipulated by JS or CSS.

I have monthly subscription to multiple sites like flaticon.com, but even with 1M+ icons they don’t cover everything. If you don’t make sales here, then you might wish to sell directly to stocks.

Great, SVG is easy peasy.

If you don’t make sales here, then you might wish to sell directly to stocks.

Good suggestion. There’s also the option of joint copyright ownership and I can sell it directly anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

I also don’t expect to have a buyer that says “do some weird stuff to photos” with no further direction.

This gecko is waaaay different from your current portfolio. Once you add this to your portfolio I’m sure you’ll get more complex orders 😉

Anyway, I didn’t want to demotivate you 🙂

Just make sure the tools you use today will support your creativity in the future.

Just make sure the tools you use today will support your creativity in the future.

In a way also, not using adobe tools forces me to be a bit different than everyone else. Maybe it limits me in some ways, but it also prevents me from showing these mockups/renders that I can only assume are built into PS (and of course, other laziness pitfalls).

image.jpg.ec0e141cd4bd64b8210360c4f0425216.jpg

image.jpg.7e8e6ef2ebb9171495f654d69db1522c.jpg

image.jpg.0e9db5aea67fcff42848183e6e01b9bd.jpg

image.jpg.ccbf6fb8dc2607c37a918c003c6c971b.jpg

image.jpg.4c18abc60076a4bfd8d05308ba833fdc.jpg

But if I had the need for a gecko like the one you did, I’d be happy to pay $100+ without thinking.

What would you call this style of work? Photoshop art? Like the fake images intended to go viral on the internet but with better intents. I’ve tried a few keywords and can’t pull up much similar stuff on Fiverr or on Google for that matter.

Archived