Mutual Cancellation AFFECTS Seller Rating

lauraserves

I completely agree with this, but there will still have those buyers:

“ordered by mistake”,

buyers who dont read completely the gig description/faqs,

buyers who think sellers should do everything they want for the price they want,

buyers who want to cancel even after a perfect order is delivered (scammers),

unresponsive buyers who dont deliver the complete information for the job get done within the delivery time,

those buyers who have had a problem to upload a crucial file and dont realize it wasn’t uplodaded (and dont answer in time when asked to try uploading again),

Buyers who order something which is not delivered by the gig.

Oh and @jonbaas … these people EXIST

amazing@@@@@@@@@@@@1!!!

Blithe responses are not helpful in this conversation. Those buyers who purposefully ignore ordering requirements do not respond to “good communication” whatever that may mean in this context.

I’ve been a successful seller on Fiverr for almost four years. In that time, I have never experienced buyers who “purposefully ignor ordering requirements”. My order questions, my clearly-written gig description, FAQs, packages, etc, and my efforts at communication have eliminated this as a problem.

If a seller has a high number of “buyers who purposefully ignor ordering requirements”, then I have to think one of two things is the root of the issue…

1. The seller needs to find a better customer market – (i.e., higher quality sellers).

2. There must be something that isn’t working with the seller’s own order questions, gig description, FAQs, packages, etc.

Why is it the first thing some sellers do when they complain, is to blame the buyer for everything? Maybe the seller has something they need to work on to avoid confused buyers, or buyers who “purposely ignor ordering requirements”.

My point in all this is to remind those who are frustrated here that it probably isn’t entirely the buyer’s fault when issues like this become prevalent. There ARE things sellers can do to minimize these issues, and deal with them individually if, and when, they might arise.

Communicate better, both on your gig, and with confused buyers.

I can’t help but wonder why I, a veteran seller, haven’t experienced these kinds of issues to such detriment, and yet, others complain that they face them every day. Surely these kinds of things can be avoided (or minimized) if only certain sellers change their selling approach.

Jonbaas said, "I’ve been a successful seller on Fiverr for almost four years. In that time, I have never experienced buyers who “purposefully ignor ordering requirements”.

Well bless your precious heart. Some people have all the luck and talent while the rest of us just slave away in the real world.

Jonbaas said, "I’ve been a successful seller on Fiverr for almost four years. In that time, I have never experienced buyers who “purposefully ignor ordering requirements”.

Well bless your precious heart. Some people have all the luck and talent while the rest of us just slave away in the real world.

This sounds a bit condescending. Should I be offended?

• 3 months later...

It’s like Fiverr is basically saying “You’re just one seller, you don’t matter” and "Because a customer ordered and canceled your gig (EVEN AFTER I CLEARLY STATED "DO NOT ORDER BEFORE MESSAGING ME), we would penalize you.

The thing is, though, Fiverr is set up to be a retail services marketplace. This is why they have packages, gig descriptions, order extras, even numerous green “buy now” buttons. The site is designed to encourage buyers to place an order straight from your gig page. Buyers do not have to send messages before placing orders. Gigs are designed to facilitate buyers choosing what services they want straight from your gig page, and placing an order for those services via the big green “buy now” buttongs. This is how Fiverr is designed to work.

Now, that’s not to say YOU, as a seller, can’t ask buyers to message you before placing an order. However, this does still, clearly, go against the designed retail format of all gigs. And you do that of your own choosing. You can’t force buyers who understand the retail format of Fiverr to send messages to discuss custom order agreements. You should be providing everything that a buyer needs right there on your gig page.

It is not Fiverr’s fault if a buyer doesn’t message you first. And, as a result, Fiverr should not be blamed for buyers wanting to interact with gigs exactly as they were designed.

If a buyer chooses to contact you do discuss alternate terms for a project, that is their choice. But certainly not a requirement – according to how gigs are designed.

It is not Fiverr’s fault if a buyer doesn’t message you first. And, as a result, Fiverr should not be blamed for buyers wanting to interact with gigs exactly as they were designed.

I am fairly certain it was Fiverr who at one point was encouraging sellers to ask buyers to contact first to avoid cancellations; it definitely was a supported practice…

• 1 month later...

I have had a similar problem where buyers were placing orders for services I didn’t even offer. I had also asked buyers to get in contact a couple of times in my gig description and one in the gig requirements stating ‘make sure you have been in contact if not already done so before proceeding’. Obviously people were ignoring this and proceeding anyway.

I was on my way to level 2 status, I have had 3 cancellations and I’ve been demoted to new seller. It’s all well and good saying 'its not Fiverr’s fault, and I do agree to this to some point, but if they are going to take a 20% commission from our sales then they could at least be a little bit better protecting mishaps to our accounts similar to this!

I did get in contact with Fiverr’s support and their response was pretty much I can appreciate the orders you received were for services you do not offer, but you do have until the 15th of next month in our next review to turn it around. My response was Ehhh!?!?

I think Fiverr should have a review option where you can submit for a review into the reasons of the cancellation and from there they can make a fair decision if your stats should be affected or not.

The current system at the moment is unfair. There is nothing stopping me making multiple accounts and ordering random services my competition does not even offer, and force them to cancel the purchase and take a hit to their stats. It wouldn’t surprise me if people were doing this! (This is an example, I am not planning on doing this Fiverr mods!)

@lauraserves the best temporary solution I could think of, is to increase the initial $5 price to $995 this seems to have stopped the random orders. You may initially think putting a price that high may put people off, where in-fact I have found it has done the opposite and made people more curious to click on my gig and read the description.

• 11 months later...

I completely agree with this, but there will still have those buyers:

1. “ordered by mistake”,
  2. buyers who dont read completely the gig description/faqs,
  3. buyers who think sellers should do everything they want for the price they want,
  4. buyers who want to cancel even after a perfect order is delivered (scammers),
  5. unresponsive buyers who dont deliver the complete information for the job get done within the delivery time,
  6. those buyers who have had a problem to upload a crucial file and dont realize it wasn’t uplodaded (and dont answer in time when asked to try uploading again),
  7. Buyers who order something which is not delivered by the gig.

who get penalized for this all? The sellers.

I’ve seen almost all of the above examples and I feel Fiverr is stacking the stats in their favor. I had a buyer receive delivery for 2 orders, leave positive reviews, then decide she wanted more from the gig without re-ordering. She then made a credit card complaint several weeks after the completed orders and reversing payment to Fiverr. Fiverr then canceled the orders and I’m penalized for both. Not only do I not get paid, but I received a drop in my seller level days from reaching level 2 status. I did contact CS who was basically offered no solution other than ‘I’m sorry’. Overall – that’s not cool! At the end of the day, I can accept the customer being refunded. But what’s not acceptable is that Fiverr penalizes me even after the crazy customer left positive reviews. What’s up with that?

• 4 months later...

Happened to me too.
A customer picked the “Basic” version of my gig and asked for “the moon” (a task I would ask more money than my biggest gig).
After he understood we mutually decided to delete the order.
But BOOM! Lost order completion rating!
Madness! They are toying with us.
I’m seriously thinking to watch for an alternative to fiverr.

• 1 month later...

Hello, first time I posted here. Ok so I have had in the last week several cancellations and it’s something i am very surprised about. One did order wrong and I got an up-sell from it, however the others were that they wanted 3D rendering and Measurements (I state I don’t do these). Also I find a lot of people don’t read what they get. I clearly state in my FAQs what I offer and try to state it on the gig (there is not much room however). This is something we need protection on. Or hey, let’s just find another platform to sell our services, or better yet, someone make another freelancer platform like fiverr… obviously we aren’t important enough even though this business wouldn’t exist without us.

• 6 months later...

A buyer ordered a story from me for 5$. The story was 500 words for just 5 dollars!!! I wrote the story which was perfect at all. I just described a situation in the form of story as nothing else can be added in just 500 words. Though, it was admirable. I delivered the order 1 day earlier. After exactly two days she messaged me.
"Hi,

The story just describes a situation, it is not really a story, who is the protagonist, how is he playing out in the story? Can you please rewrite the story and it is for kids 10 yrs and under,
can you please use words which are easy for them to understand

Thanks"

In spite of this, all this situation was no problem for me, but the best part is she gave me 2.5 hours to do this. It almost takes about 4 to 5 days to write a story. Then, when I requested additional time, she didn’t respond for about two days. Is this a joke??

A buyer ordered a story from me for 5$. The story was 500 words for just 5 dollars!!! I wrote the story which was perfect at all. I just described a situation in the form of story as nothing else can be added in just 500 words. Though, it was admirable. I delivered the order 1 day earlier. After exactly two days she messaged me.
"Hi,

The story just describes a situation, it is not really a story, who is the protagonist, how is he playing out in the story? Can you please rewrite the story and it is for kids 10 yrs and under,
can you please use words which are easy for them to understand

Thanks"

In spite of this, all this situation was no problem for me, but the best part is she gave me 2.5 hours to do this. It almost takes about 4 to 5 days to write a story. Then, when I requested additional time, she didn’t respond for about two days. Is this a joke??

• 4 months later...

I’m an artist here on Fiverr and have actually never dealt with a cancellation until yesterday, when a client, after weeks of no communication, says: this ain’t the art style I was looking for, sorry to waste your time, and cancels an order which took roughly 35 hours to finish. I’m generally an easy going person, but that pissed me off as it completely screws over my perfect rating, and put me out of 35!!! hours of work. The gig included revisions (which I offered), but guess what, no response from the buyer. Eventually I decided to not get stuck in a wad of back and forth with a person who was clearly never intending to pay me for the work (they paid for the custom offer 9 days late, leading me to think they expected me to start working without them having paid). I don’t fully understand how such arbitrary decisions from buyers are able to knock down sellers in ranking. While I assume Fiverr doesn’t have the capacity to review each issue on a case by case basis, there should at least be an option for the seller to cancel the order without repercussions to their visibility, other than a hella lot of time spent.

Archived