Overdeliver. Hmmmm. Do you?

bigbadbilly

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I subscribe to Madmoo’s mentality…I genuinely LIKE overdelivering. That is, IF it’s on a gig where it comes very naturally. Most of my gigs allow for this kind of work. I always deliver the best possible quality, but here’s an example.

One of my gigs is taking pictures in a wig with a sign. I always deliver the best quality in a timely fashion, but I might include 10 extra pictures, simply because I have them. Why not give the customer something more as a treat for choosing you? I like it. I like the feeling of pleasing someone in a surprising way, and I can’t tell you how many tips I’ve received as a result! Furthermore, you get overly positive feedback as a result. My rating? 100%. And as if all that wasn’t enough, it increases your popularity because people refer you to their friends, getting you more orders, thus more money.

Now, I understand that this is a business, with the ultimate goal being more sales. Wasting time costs you sales, so if overdelivering impedes your ability to do things in a timely fashion, it’s not worth it. I don’t “overdeliver” on my transcription gig…one of the few I don’t. I still do the best quality I can, and deliver within a short timeframe, and you can see from the amount of return customers I have that it’s well worth the price. I wouldn’t say I overdeliver on this, but it doesn’t mean the quality suffers. I guess I just do throw around the word “overdelivery” a lot, and what that is may differ from person to person.

I subscribe to Madmoo’s mentality…I genuinely LIKE overdelivering. That is, IF it’s on a gig where it comes very naturally. Most of my gigs allow for this kind of work. I always deliver the best possible quality, but here’s an example.

One of my gigs is taking pictures in a wig with a sign. I always deliver the best quality in a timely fashion, but I might include 10 extra pictures, simply because I have them. Why not give the customer something more as a treat for choosing you? I like it. I like the feeling of pleasing someone in a surprising way, and I can’t tell you how many tips I’ve received as a result! Furthermore, you get overly positive feedback as a result. My rating? 100%. And as if all that wasn’t enough, it increases your popularity because people refer you to their friends, getting you more orders, thus more money.

Now, I understand that this is a business, with the ultimate goal being more sales. Wasting time costs you sales, so if overdelivering impedes your ability to do things in a timely fashion, it’s not worth it. I don’t “overdeliver” on my transcription gig…one of the few I don’t. I still do the best quality I can, and deliver within a short timeframe, and you can see from the amount of return customers I have that it’s well worth the price. I wouldn’t say I overdeliver on this, but it doesn’t mean the quality suffers. I guess I just do throw around the word “overdelivery” a lot, and what that is may differ from person to person.

Mine will depend on my gig. Today, I added extra words into an article - mainly because it wouldn’t make sense without them - and the buyer was really happy with it and thought I’d over-delivered. To me it wasn’t over-delivering, it was offering a high quality article that made sense and included all the relevant information. I believe in offering quality and if that’s over-delivering - to me it isn’t but to buyers it may be - then ok I do it but I don’t go out of my way to do it. If that makes any sense.

Mine will depend on my gig. Today, I added extra words into an article - mainly because it wouldn’t make sense without them - and the buyer was really happy with it and thought I’d over-delivered. To me it wasn’t over-delivering, it was offering a high quality article that made sense and included all the relevant information. I believe in offering quality and if that’s over-delivering - to me it isn’t but to buyers it may be - then ok I do it but I don’t go out of my way to do it. If that makes any sense.

Archived