To Use a Custom Offer or Not, That's the question

adwordsadvisor

Since I had this dilema here on Fiverr as well in other places, I am interested to have your thoughts on whether custom offers work better for you than your original offer and how it affected your mode of operation with the customers…like: did you tend to immediately offer a custom offer or did you stick to original structured offer in most cases.

AdWordsAdvisor

Hello AdWordsAdvisor. I love using custom offers and do often, but custom offers should really be used if the buyer is interested in your gig and wants similar work from you that is almost like your gig. Afterall, they found your gig and if your gig is not exactly what they want, a custom offer is perfect, because it lets you, the seller, increase sales without having to edit your gig a million times like we did in the old days of Fiverr.

Also, gig packages are also a great idea, so use them.

I hope this helps,
Bruce

I work mainly with custom offers. This is especially important since many buyers don’t read the gig description.They just don’t read it.
I’m also very keen on good communication and want to know if the buyer has at least conversational English skills. If they don’t I send them to another seller as I don’t have the time for sign language. But serious, if they can’t communicate well it can go terribly wrong.
Other than many other sellers I don’t like it when a buyers just orders a gig.

I use custom offers, but not to offer any discount on what I do. With my writing the gig packages are quite structured, such as 250 words for $5. So what if a customer wants 1100 words? Well a custom offer works perfectly.

One thing I would note is the option to select and expiry date for the offer. I used to not fill this in then I found people ordering from me 6 months after we had last spoken. All orders are welcome, but it is much easier while things are fresh in your mind.

My main use of custom offers is also making offers for higher wordcounts, would be a bit inconvenient for both the buyer and me, if they had to puzzle a 50K words text together from my standard gig.

I love the expiry option, and honestly without that, you really can´t do business, especially not, if you work alone, that´s my main peeve with BR, if there´s a BR with a really high wordcount, you make an offer, no expiration date possible, and then they come back to you with it 6 months later, when you´re 120% booked out? Sure, I could put ‘this offer expires…’ in the custom text, but reading about some problems people had and how CS dealt with them on the forum, makes me careful. A pity for the buyers really that many sellers won´t reply to BRs for this and other reasons.

Archived