Buyer Requests Get Better!

silberma1976

I realize that many people feel buyer request are littered with spam, and some people think they are worthless. And maybe it feels that way at times. They do get better.
In my experience, the more you build your presence here, and the more reviews you garner, the more of a response you get from buyer request submissions. This, of course, goes with a proper submission, which has been discussed here.

Over time, do not stop doing buyer request. They get better with age.

I hope you won’t sink that much as to rely on Buyer Requests. It’s a really good thing for new sellers to get started but it is absolutely impossible to survive from Buyer’s Request. It’s horrible to rely on it for longer than a couple of months.

My personal experience is that Buyer Requests need to be understood before you can get something good out of them.

Yeah, they definitely are a good way to get in contact with potential buyers and even establish a few long-term relationships. The “problem” is that some digging is required and you can’t expect to receive a positive answer from day one.

Dozens of requests are posted every day. The key to success is analyzing each one of them before you send your offers. There’s a limit to the number of offers you can submit daily, anyway.

Only pick the jobs you are sure you can complete, be professional, polite, and in general refrain from being a complete arsehole and you will be able to use that section to expand your business.

Just my two bits of opinion here, managed to rise to level 1 in roughly a month by only using requests. Obviously, your mileage may vary according to the type of services you are providing.

@writer99025: You have some amazing gigs and considering the number of orders you have in your queue, has sinking in search results affected you much?

@hackrie: I like Buyer’s Request. I’ve found really great Level 0 up to TRS to do work for me. Sometimes it can be a challenge to filter through all the sellers, and sometimes it doesn’t work. I did find a cartoonist and an eBook Cover designer that I’ve used multiple times.

It’s complicated…the reason I’m down in search results i because I’ve been on vacation mode/limit orders for 5 of the last 6 months…my sales ($$$) are the same as last year, when I used to have 60-70 orders in queue…I have bigger orders, fewer orders, and 99% of my orders are from old clients. I’m not attracting new clients anymore, and this is worrying me. But my sales are the same as this point last year, so I’m not that worried as yet.

I think @acossidente said something important: pick gigs you know you can do and are in your category.

When you get to a certain number of reviews, and you have some momentum behind you, and you place a submission for a buyer request, you may get better results.

Do not top doing them, even if you are established. I do them when I am busy and slow. Sometimes, the buyer chooses someone else and comes back to me weeks later, or I get an immediate response. Sometimes, it comes a few days later. Some of my favorite, long term work has come from buyer request.

Do not be quick to dismiss them. They are the most legitimate way to try to get work through the platform.

Sellers aren’t supposed to advertise their gigs in buyer requests. Be lucky yours didn’t get through the review process for whatever reason because it means you don’t automatically get on other sellers’ blacklist.
It is really, really annoying to see sellers advertise their gigs in buyer requests, and there’s absolutely no point because buyers can’t see the requests, only other sellers.

I used buyer requests for a couple of weeks as a newbie but to be honest it was incredibly time-consuming, the resulting gig order ratio was low, and because you only see categories that your gig is in then if your gig is a fit for multiple categories you see perhaps 10% of suitable buyer requests.

At the time it made me feel as if I was doing something constructive though so from a morale point of view it was probably good. It’s badly designed so I don’t know if I’d use it again if the orders seriously dried up or whether I’d just spend more time on other work avenues.

Archived