Tip regarding emojis

usahmad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you’re overthinking it.
However, I do notice that for some reason, the sellers who are always at the top-of-the-top on the site seem to be majority of women who make an overt attempt to look “hot”. They also seem to have greater numbers of reviews on their gigs (hence sales) It would appear that a great number of buyers are chauvinistic and buy with their “pants”, which is very unfortunate. It’s not news, and it’s not always true, but it seems, to me at least, it’s true a good majority of the time. I tend not to hire fashion model-wind tunnel types for my voiceover business. If you’ve ever met real voice actors in the studio, they typically aren’t sex symbols, both male and female. lol.

http://static1.businessinsider.com/assets/images/us/favicons/favicon-32x32.png?v=BI-US-2017-06-22Business Insider
http://static6.businessinsider.com/image/557b0d8b69bedda02e9dba81-1190-625/this-woman-quit-her-job-paid-her-debts-and-bought-a-house-thanks-to-a-side-job-that-earns-9000-a-month.jpg

This woman quit her job, paid her debts, and bought a house thanks to a side job...

Now, Redd Horrocks is debt-free, typically earning $9,000-$11,000 a month from voiceover gigs she finds through Fiverr.

Do you mean women like her, Red Horrocks? She’s a super seller making over $9,000 a month who does voiceovers. Do you think she got to the top on her looks?

Or you probably mean women like her, oldbittygrandma. She looks like a model:

https://www.fiverr.com/oldbittygrandma/create-a-video-of-me-performing-your-script-with-my-old-hippy-broad-character-720phd?context=collections&context_type=pre_defined_false.ownership_false&funnel=b106c0d8-4202-47d5-acd5-29d08c69d42b

Nice try to diminish successful women sellers. It won’t work. They didn’t get to the top on their looks.

Fascinating discussion. And there is plenty of literature on the topic.

The long and short of it is there is a time and a place for the emoji, or what was back in the day the beloved emoticon, and the is a time to refrain.

DO NOT USE: in official documents, professional interactions, professional marketing and public relations, academic papers, essays, legal documents, white papers, formal letters, press releases et al.

DO USE THEM: for casual communication, casual marketing, and warm & fuzzy customer service (there is research that this, in fact, is beneficial to customer support in many customer service type industries)

IF YOU DO USE THEM: Consider that the original purpose of these groovy little faces was a shorthand form of non-written communication. They were meant as the of visual facial cues lacking in written communication in this newly written chatting akin to instant quick telegrams

Thinking back to my earliest days doing statistics on the mainframes at Harvard and Smith in the early 1980s, and on to Compuserve SIGS in where I got my start “chatting” (what we all now call texting) in 1985 while in Law School, the smiley covered many a misunderstanding. In those early years, we were predominately writers, programmers, geeks and nerds Sarcasm and puns were our bread and butter but didn´t always communicate well, and slang almost never crosses international borders. Add the smiley in its many forms and the wit flew.

Keep in mind when using an emoji its origin and purpose. Let it reflect your facial features and your feelings, the visual communication cues missing in textual communication. Limit use to casual, warm & fuzzy, communication, but consider it in customer service if appropriate. And don´t over do it.

Just thought I would add my knowledge from 30+ years of communication via this means.

I offer my services in a variety of fields and you can find me here on Fiverr most every day, live and ready to Chat with you. I can offer, research, writing, and consultation starting from just… Five Dollars 🙂

All the best!

Susan

I notice my typed : ) was auto translated into a face - sort of helpful, but if I wanted to use a yellow face smile, I could click on that button… I would prefer the option, as I think a typed smile is better than an emoji in fiverr communications (unless it was a client I was really friendly with)

• 1 year later...

I beg to differ, emojis are visual communication and in some cases needed to determine what the person is feeling and thinking at the time and more often than not save you a client if they see a happy face at the end of a sentence rather than nothing and leaving them scratching their heads if their English isn’t very good.

They also distinguish the difference between someone wondering if someone else is been sarcastic or not, as human emotion without emoticons/emojis is very hard to pick up on, unless you know that person really well and even then it’s still not that easy unless they end a sentence with something like this 😛

When I’m a buyer and run into a seller that uses them I’m gone. I want a professional working for me and NOT someone who may be a teenager without skills.

Keep your approach professional until you get to know someone – then get cute.

When I’m a buyer and run into a seller that uses them I’m gone. I want a professional working for me and NOT someone who may be a teenager without skills.

Keep your approach professional until you get to know someone – then get cute.

It shows that someone does not know how to be professional and businesslike so in that respect it’s a tipoff to avoid them.

I’ve ever used them so far in responses when clients used emojis before, otherwise I wouldn’t do it either. But I’ve also worked in customer support for a pretty big catalog company here in Germany and I was supposed to use smileys when answering mails.

Archived