Allowing sellers to give free gigs to buyers (at least for new sellers)

thesociety

I think magy1808 said it best: why pay for anything when you can get it for free? But, more importantly, why would a seller want to do any work for free? This is, of course, just my experience, and others may have had better experiences, but gathering from the other freelancers I’ve worked with, none of them have ever had good experiences with spec work.

When I was brand new on Fiverr, naive, and desperate for work, I probably did work for free, let’s say fifteen times. Out of those fifteen clients, one of them ever came back to make a real purchase. All fifteen of those clients, however, used the work I did for them. Most of the people I’ve talked to have a similar experience–giving out spec work, especially on a site like Fiverr, where there are millions of sellers, tens of thousands in every category and more signing up every day, all offering services for dirt cheap, is pointless. Buyers won’t use those free, promotional gigs to try out a new seller and see if they like working with them. They’ll use a free gig from one new seller, then move on and find another one, and then another one, and then another one.

It’s much better to allow sellers to decide for themselves if they want to do work for free or what kinds of promotions they want to run on their own gigs, rather than institutionalizing free work on a website where, again, everything is already extremely cheap.

I don’t really know if buyers get a free gig when signing up. It’s been a long time since I bought my first gig. 🙂 As to the rest of it, I don’t like the idea of free gigs because among other things, the reviews wouldn’t be as trustworthy.

If someone wants to give a gig away, easy enough anyway, they can just let the buyer say what they want in an inbox message and deliver it free. Free sample but no review and no problem.

I think sellers might self-limit on the use of coupon offers, though, if they had to pay fiver a $1 commission AND give the gig away. I think paying Fiverr to give away work wouldn’t go far. I don’t know if it would really work, though. Imposed limits aren’t a bad idea either. Or, we could just leave things as they are and charge people a nice cheap $5.

Free? I’m not on Fiverr to work for free. When I write on my personal blog, that’s free, and maybe people will click my Amazon affiliate links and buy something, maybe they won’t. When I write an article for publication, that’s free, and if it gets rejected, I make $0. When I submit brand names on Naming Force, that’s also free, but whoever wins 1st place gets $250 to $500.

Fiverr is wonderful because here, you can make money for anything. That pays my bills, doing things for free doesn’t pay anything. So don’t be desperate for orders, just create gigs that are worth $5 or more with gig extras. Remember, not everyone is cheap, some people are paying for the convenience of what you do. Someone that hates writing headlines will pay me $5 to write five, or in the case of others, $5 to write one, or ten or twenty.

Someone that hates writing articles will also pay $5-$15+ depending on the seller, his ability, his reviews, etc. Someone that can’t draw a straight line will hire a logo designer. Someone that needs a prank call or a girl in a bikini singing “happy birthday” will pay for that. Because it’s only $5 to start, people can afford it. If it’s a business, they can afford $50-$100+, it’s nothing to them compared to offline prices.

And there will be times you can’t do the job because it’s not worth it to you regardless of price, so you’ll tell your buyer to hire someone else.

Archived