What am I doing wrongly?

careerplus

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reply to @careerplus: No-one is laughing at you. In fact, @vainpaper was more likely teasing me. I offer a gig rewriting gig titles and descriptions. 🙂

Honestly, I mean no offense, but if you don’t know what’s wrong with your writing, you shouldn’t be selling it as a gig. Focus on what you (or your group) can do exceptionally well instead of what you believe will sell better. Or, ignore the advice, leave your gigs as they are and you will probably still make sales. 🙂

In any case, you need to be patient. It can take weeks to get a first sale and there is never a guarantee that anyone will be successful here.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aakarsh1997

Reply to @writerlisaz: Please do not suggest such practices. This is a very bad thing to do and must be condemned altogether. We sellers here represent the Fiverr community, and you would not like to have buyers see such stuff and go away from the community.

Hello,

Since you wanted to know about typos, I will offer this and hope you understand that a writer needs to know basic grammar. I count 9 grammatical errors in this sentence:

"I am Professional Resume and Article Writer. I am here to help you get that your dream Job and fill you your Blog and Website with Quality Content."

I had to say that since you offer writing gigs, you may need to brush up on correct grammar to get people to buy your gigs.

Reply to @misscrystal: This kind of thing gets to me sometimes. There was a guy with one content writing gig up asking for help. He was pointing out all the blogs he had written for but his profile and gigs were littered with errors. I tried to point him in the right direction without rewriting all of it for him. I suggested other gigs that didn’t require as much focus on writing. I wasn’t mean about it. He never did really get it and when he starting sending me inbox spam I gave up. Other people just kept telling him he was doing fine. I don’t know if they were trying to mislead him on purpose or what.

If people don’t want to hear the truth they shouldn’t ask for it. Replying to someone to say they are doing fine when they aren’t is mean. It gives the seller false confidence. They end up with a ruined account and negative feedback or they get pity sales and good feedback that only lasts for a few gigs. OK, sorry, off the soapbox. I didn’t mean to use you as a therapist! 😛

I see many who are not native English speakers offering writing gigs. English is not an easy language to learn to write. I actually now see 11 grammatical errors there in two sentences. Most native English speakers would notice them. As you say, the truth is best and may help point someone in the right direction. It probably explains the lack of sales.

Reply to @aakarsh1997: I found the article. It was on Side Hustle Nation–and was a very popular article. I saw it a while after I started so didn’t use the idea. And he says this: “Pro Tip: If you sign up for Fiverr’s poorly-publicized affiliate program, you can actually earn money on the deal if your friends are new to Fiverr.” I personally have brought a lot of new people to fiverr because my friends want to use my service. I haven’t paid them or given them any special deals to do it (that affiliate program email never worked for me), but I think as a start this is a great way to get new people to use the site.

Reply to @careerplus: No, careerplus, I cannot buy from you, but I’m sure you’ll do well enough without my patronage. You already have more sales and reviews than I did in my first month. Just remember I’m your friend when you get rich. 😉

Obviously you are doing things rightly as far as Fiverr salesmanship is concerned.

I’m fairly convinced there is no point to trying to help anyone who asks for it on Fiverr.

Guiding sellers by offering suggestions on how to appropriately and conscientiously provide quality work can prove to be counter-productive; in terms of sales, there are SO MANY high-selling gigs that I personally wouldn’t take the time to read beyond the first word or two (if I can get past the username), let alone purchase, it’s almost like teaching someone how to set themself up for frustration and low earnings. And c’mon, people who barely know a language, yet insist on selling language-based gigs aren’t looking for advice, they’re just advertising. Carrying on a conversation is just providing more link opportunities.

Then again, the threads can be quite good entertainment. Carry on! 🙂

I have heard a lot about asking friends and family to try your service out and that way you really provide the service. Your friends can give you constructive criticism in private and public reviews. Paying people to buy gigs strikes me differently so I’m just adding personal opinion on that topic. If people give great reviews because they are paid and the seller gains ranking it seems like that might promote competitive advantages that other sellers don’t get. Someone else might not have the money to pay people so they couldn’t do the same to get the same advantage. I wouldn’t recommend that a new seller pay people to buy gigs even if Fiverr doesn’t care.

Reply to @fonthaunt: I get what you’re saying, but there is a difference in paying people to buy gigs and giving them a gig “for free,” which is what the article’s advice was. You’re just giving them the $5 and they turn around and spend it on your gig. You make $4 back and fiverr gets $1. I get what this could be controversial, but I didn’t think it was such a bad idea when I read it. It gets your gig noticed from the start, and for only a small investment on your part. As I said, I didn’t need to do this and read the idea in Side Hustle Nation after I had taken off here, but I do think it’s one way to get a start. I could ask my mom to buy an editing gig from me–whether I give her the $5 to do it or not. Yes, it’s likely she’d give me a positive rating no matter what, but hopefully I’d actually do good work for her and it would be deserved. I guess I too often assume people are honest and good before I have reason to think they’re not…but sadly, I should probably not assume things.

Archived