Biggest lesson learned on Fiverr?

Kesha

Navigating Fiverr can be a real growth journey, both professionally and personally. Whether it’s mastering time management, honing project skills, setting boundaries, or negotiating with clients, freelancing on the platform teaches valuable lessons along the way.

What have been some of the biggest lessons you’ve learned while using Fiverr? 

• Like 14
  • Up 1

There were lots of great things I learned, from getting opportunities to improve my expertise to always staying professional no matter the situation. I also managed to improve my scam-detection meter quite a bit.

Maybe the best lesson for everyone is to not trust random "buyers" that promise the moon and then some. Most of those buyers that say "Give me a discount now and I will give you 20 more orders after" are usually people that never come back and who just want to get your work cheaper. And in general, a great lesson is that.. if it's too good to be true (little work - lots of money), then it's most likely a scam.

• Like 12
  • Up 4
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, Kesha said:

Navigating Fiverr can be a real growth journey, both professionally and personally. Whether it’s mastering time management, honing project skills, setting boundaries, or negotiating with clients, freelancing on the platform teaches valuable lessons along the way.

What have been some of the biggest lessons you’ve learned while using Fiverr? 

Do not hire a team if you don't have a good budget. Low-budgeting team members will destroy your Fiverr profile. I always looked for low-budget team members to outsource my work, but it fired back badly. Now, I have a good team and repeat clients 🙂

• Like 8
  • Up 1

I've learned to be cautious and to never put all of your eggs in one basket. Fiverr offers zero protections for the seller and a single misstep can cause years of progress to crumble even if it's entirely not your fault. As a new buyer you'll almost never be chosen over a seasoned seller and almost all of the common freelance fields are already over crowded so niche's are extremely rare to find.

Take logo design for example. This is likely the most crowded section in fiverr and even if you did manage to make it to the first page there's 3 sellers that combined have more orders than all the next few pages put together. There's also a source of ....autocannabilism since there's also an auto logo maker feature on the site. 

It takes a good designer years to be able to stand out just to make way less money than you would anywhere else and then by some miracle you do carve a small niche for yourself Fiverr changes their level system and how you get graded in it and you'll lose all your progress, levels, and perks.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1
  • Up 5

• 4 weeks later...

I learned a very bitter lesson this past week and, sadly, it has put a very sour taste in my mouth. I'm honestly now not sure of quite how to proceed on Fiverr with new projects - if at all.

This week, Fiverr CS unilaterally cancelled an order on the insistence of a scammer client, without prior consultation with me. I lost USD 800 of hard work.

Fiverr CS - during later discussions - were, sadly, clueless and despite a multitude of different aliases weighing in on why they did what they did (there were many conflicting reasons), the best they could offer were useless platitudes. They obviously did not read the copious explanatory notes I left in the project log.

So Seller has to be aware of scammer clients, and inept, incompetent, untrained CS. The Escrow system is fatally flawed and offers NO protection to the Seller. A very dangerous state of affairs.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

The biggest lesson I've learned is that you have to know you're clients so that you can provide them with quality service.  Having a full discussion  before you start the project will provide a clear understanding of what your client is looking for. 

DALL·E 2024-10-13 00.54.39 - A detailed portrait of Elizabeth Percel, a customer service expert and entrepreneur. She has shoulder-length wavy dark brown hair, warm brown eyes, an.webp

• Like 3

Navigating Fiverr has been a great learning journey. As a seller creating custom intro animations, I've learned: Time Management, Skill Enhancement, Client Communication. These experiences have been incredibly rewarding and helped me grow both professionally and personally. 😊

• Like 2

The biggest lesson I learned on Fiverr goes back to the very beginning of my web design career, nearly 16 years ago. I landed three big projects in a short time, but I wasn’t yet equipped to deliver perfection within the deadlines. As a newcomer to web design, I worked tirelessly to complete two of the projects, but one was left unfinished. I still remember that time vividly. Today, I can handle any web design task like a pro, but I’ll never forget when my skills were just in their infancy.

• Like 1

One of the biggest lessons I’ve learned on Fiverr is the importance of clear communication with clients. Early in my web design career, I took on a project where I thought I understood exactly what the client wanted. However, midway through, I realized there had been a misunderstanding about their vision, which led to a lot of back-and-forth and delays. From that experience, I learned to always ask detailed questions upfront and ensure we're both on the same page before starting. Now, I make communication a top priority, which has made a huge difference in my work and client satisfaction.

• Like 2