How often does someone steal/copy your gig?

johanna2353

I’ve been on fiverr for about a month and I really enjoy the website. However, I’ve noticed that I’ve had to report somebody at least once a week for copying or stealing my gig word for word. At first, I was shocked and angry, then I realized this happens to almost everyone on fiverr lol. Most of the time it’s just some “guy from Bangladesh” who steals my gigs. I’m just curious, how often does this happen to you guys? And do you think it affects your sales? Thanks in advance for any tips/info. 🙂

Hi,

I’ve been writing for more than 10 years now; not here, but on other sites. This happens all the time…people taking ideas from other people. There really isn’t anything you can do about it. A title cannot be copyrighted, so we can take any title and write something. But…the beauty of it is, the subject matter, quality of work, and professionalism. Basically, we have to make ours stand out by being better. Use our creativity and imagination. It doesn’t matter if someone offers the exact same gig as you or I, because not only will the work be different, ours will hopefully be better. Someone looking for the best will choose “the best”, even if someone else offers the same service. Best of luck.

Reply to @lierrebridges: I agree! I guess the downside is the buyers getting ripped off. Also, it’s not really a big deal when a lot of people have a similar gig that offer the exact same thing; it just upsets me when they steal it word for word from the title to the description. I feel like that will confuse customers and end up hurting sales.

You can report gigs that are copied word for word to CS. They’ll probably tell you that they can’t tell you what they do with the copy cat gig, but every time I’ve reported someone who’s just copied and pasted my description, picture, and title (with my name in them, no less!), the gig was gone within a few days.

• 1 year later...

It’s not just the description, they also steal your gig image.
Mine got stolen a few times, my friend’s gig gets stolen constantly so I notify her right away. One time I even asked for a quote to the fake seller and the person sent me a “sample” which was horrific in quality.
Those fake sellers are usually gone in a few days.
The other “interesting” gigs I see are the ones where the title is pretty much the same,
the gig description is a complete copy, yet the gig image has NOTHING to do with the gig.
I’m sure there is no way they will get orders, so I am assuming they create those gigs just to mess up the search???

it happened to me now. Yesterday i did a search and found that a girl from Morocco copied my gig from title to desription, word by word. It really messed up the search result. I don’t understand how should that girl did like that since her profile said that she is a prof marketer. How could a prof marketer have to copied other’s content ? I reported to CS and waiting for their action.

Archived