Be Aware For Identity Theft

Hello Everyone,

Fiverr is a wonderful platform and have being increasing both seller and buyer security constantly.

That being said, I have to share with you something that is happening to me right now and it's a red flag you all should know about.

One potential buyer contacted me to help with marketing and to make improvements on a website. The person was telling me a weird but not so hard to believe history about the business, but, I moved forward tailoring the list of improvements we could do.

After the person agreed with the pre-order task list I gave, I said that I would need the credentials to login into the website platform and social media channels. Here, came the dangerous part. 

THE DANGEROUS PART

The person asked for my personal information and my passport copy so I could have access to the website platform. It's a simple website from a simple business - not some big corporation or government platform.

As you all know, Fiverr give buyers all the security, and if this was an accountancy issue, the buyer would point Fiverr (the money recipient), not you.

Most importantly, you are not signing any agreement directly with the buyer for a long term job, you are doing it thru Fiverr. So, by giving all your personal information and a copy of your documents is extremely dangerous and completely unnecessary.

Never share sensitive information and documents with anyone. Fiverr is the shield for buyers and sellers.

This is a real life example of phishing and identity theft. Be aware!

Regards,

• Like 24
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, navid_zafar said:

Thanks for brining it to the forums so that people are aware of it.

Thank you @navid_zafar - it's something we all need to be aware. It was my duty to share this knowledge with all our fellow sellers. 🙂

Best regards,

• Like 13

2 hours ago, methark said:

The person asked for my personal information and my passport copy so I could have access to the website platform. It's a simple website from a simple business - not some big corporation or government platform.

Not even a big corporation or a government platform would ask you for your passport copy.

Not to mention that asking for or sharing personal information is a violation of Fiverr's Terms of Service.

I hope you have reported that scammer.

• Like 14
  • Up 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, catwriter said:

Not even a big corporation or a government platform would ask you for your passport copy.

Not to mention that asking for or sharing personal information is a violation of Fiverr's Terms of Service.

Exactly, it goes against Fiverr TOS too. Reported.

Edited by methark
Minor edition.
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, catwriter said:

Reported, of course! This is completely against Fiverr TOS and security.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, catwriter said:

Some have asked for people to sign an NDA though. I assume Fiverr would allow that if the seller agrees to it - if it's just a signature (though it could be risky since it's probably usually about legal action they could take).

• Like 12

15 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Some have asked for people to sign an NDA though. I assume Fiverr would allow that if the seller agrees to it - if it's just a signature (though it could be risky since it's probably usually about legal action they could take).

True. I would just accept long-term buyer users though. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, uk1000 said:

I know of sellers who have just signed with their Fiverr username. No sharing of personal information there. 🙂

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, catwriter said:

I know of sellers who have just signed with their Fiverr username. No sharing of personal information there. 🙂

It's my ethos. I just say my name with long term buyers. 😁

• Like 11