First order with 4.7 star

cahit_dogan

Question

It's been 6 days since I opened my Fiverr account. Got my first order 2 days ago. The buyer was a good person. I was very excited as it was my first order and the delivery that the buyer wanted from me was not exactly the same service I had on my gig so we had some communication problems. However, I mentioned that I was very eager to solve the problem and I delivered exactly the order he requested. He said would work with me again in the future (you can never be sure of that). I understand my mistake and I will not do it again.

He gave my communication star a 4 and the review was added to my profile and gig with 4.7 stars.

When I review other people's profiles and gigs, most are 5 stars.

I'm a little worried at this point. If I got 4.7 stars on my 10th order, this wouldn't be a problem, but since I got 4.7 stars on my first order, I'm not sure if I'll get an order again. What would you like to recommend me?

My profile: https://www.fiverr.com/cahit_dogan

My gig stats
Impressions: 172
Clicks: 9

Edited by cahit_dogan
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

20 answers to this question

No problem, it's happening in our freelancing journey. Sometimes the moment is coming better and sometimes up & down comes as well. Don't be worried and be confident for your next upcoming journey. What happen in your previous day is totally buyer intention and his total observation from your work or experience.  

• Like 12
  • Up 1

5 minutes ago, shafin901 said:

No problem, it's happening in our freelancing journey. Sometimes the moment is coming better and sometimes up & down comes as well. Don't be worried and be confident for your next upcoming journey. What happen in your previous day is totally buyer intention and his total observation from your work or experience.  

My concern is whether I can continue my journey with a 4.7 review first order. I'm wondering, is an seller with no reviews better or one with 4.7 reviews and 1 delivery?

Edited by cahit_dogan
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, osmanking001 said:

Figure out the reason why you had 4.7 in your last order and make amends

Sometimes sellers do make mistakes, but I've also found that (some) buyers can be hypercritical. The fact that OP did correct on the subsequent delivery sounds like that probably should've warranted a 5 star review  for his efforts.

33 minutes ago, cahit_dogan said:

He gave my communication star a 4 and the review was added to my profile and gig with 4.7 stars.

If you'll look at buyer's profile, he actually gave the last seller a 4.7 on their first order too, but he also seems to have subsequently provided 5 star reviews to that same seller.

Unfortunately though, you can see that said seller hasn't received any orders from anyone else. So, this does pose a considerable concern. Did the suboptimal initial review either (a) reduce that seller's presence on the search results -and/or- (b) make it so his profile looked less optimal to prospective buyers?

At this point, your best bet might be to try your hand at 📱 social media promotion in an attempt to mitigate either of the above concerns, or perhaps to think of some special deals/offers that might entice people to give your service a try. Although I realize that's suddenly a lot of new work to put on your plate, it might be a good way to dig out of this unfortunate situation.

Edited by themarineiguana
  • Like 10
  • Up 1

35 minutes ago, themarineiguana said:

Sometimes sellers do make mistakes, but I've also found that (some) buyers can be hypercritical. The fact that OP did correct on the subsequent delivery sounds like that probably should've warranted a 5 star review  for his efforts.

If you'll look at buyer's profile, he actually gave the last seller a 4.7 on their first order too, but he also seems to have subsequently provided 5 star reviews to that same seller.

Unfortunately though, you can see that said seller hasn't received any orders from anyone else. So, this does pose a considerable concern. Did the suboptimal initial review either (a) reduce that seller's presence on the search results -and/or- (b) make it so his profile looked less optimal to prospective buyers?

At this point, your best bet might be to try your hand at 📱 social media promotion in an attempt to mitigate either of the above concerns, or perhaps to think of some special deals/offers that might entice people to give your service a try. Although I realize that's suddenly a lot of new work to put on your plate, it might be a good way to dig out of this unfortunate situation.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Sometimes sellers do make mistakes, but I've also found that (some) buyers can be hypercritical. The fact that OP did correct on the subsequent delivery sounds like that probably should've warranted a 5 star review  for his efforts.

I think my deliver is successful and fast. I don't think I was bad at communication either. I helped him more than I should have.

I am sure that the buyer does not fully understand what kind of service I offer. The lesson I learned is that in order to get 5 star, I should ignore the buyer's flaws and try to offer the best service.

I haven't seen a decrease in my search results rankings. I need to track my stats for a few more days to be sure.

At this point, your best bet might be to try your hand at 📱 social media promotion in an attempt to mitigate either of the above concerns, or perhaps to think of some special deals/offers that might entice people to give your service a try. Although I realize that's suddenly a lot of new work to put on your plate, it might be a good way to dig out of this unfortunate situation.

You're right that I need to work a lot harder to fix this.

I wish we could hide the visibility of the reviews until the 5th review. My first order may not show what I deserve.

Edited by cahit_dogan
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cahit_dogan said:

My concern is whether I can continue my journey with a 4.7 review first order. I'm wondering, is an seller with no reviews better or one with 4.7 reviews and 1 delivery?

yes, it would help if you continued because something is better than nothing,

• Like 10
  • Congrats! 2

I mean, any gig less than 5 stars sucks for buyers. 

This indicates that the rating function is rather meaningless.

If the gig rating is divided into 5 and less than 5, why are there different ratings? For example, there is no difference between 1 star and 4 stars. The buyer will think they both suck.

Also, if a buyer unfairly gives you less than 5 stars on your first gig, your Fiverr journey is over. You must delete your account and create a new one.

• Like 8
  • Up 1

While it’s not ideal that this was your first review, there’s a silver lining, I think.

Sometimes when someone has very few reviews and they’re all 5 stars, it might seem to a potential buyer that the reviews could be fake. Obviously fiverr does a lot to ensure that fake reviews aren’t on the platform but a new buyer might not know that.

The odd imperfect or even negative review shows that the reviews you’re receiving are real and that you’re not perfect (who is?) Obviously, you need mainly positive reviews, but I don’t think this is the end of the world.

Once you have 300 reviews, no one will doubt the authenticity of them, because of the sheer number.

I know this doesn’t help you get your next order but, when it comes, hopefully you’ll do great and get 5 stars. Then you’ll be well on your way.

As one final note, 4.7 stars is not a bad score, in my opinion. I have a gig with a 4.3 average, due to a low number of orders and a single negative review. That gig still gets impressions, clicks and the occasional order.

• Like 9
  • Up 3

34 minutes ago, charlsmcfarlane said:

Sometimes when someone has very few reviews and they’re all 5 stars, it might seem to a potential buyer that the reviews could be fake.

4 hours ago, cahit_dogan said:

If the gig rating is divided into 5 and less than 5, why are there different ratings? For example, there is no difference between 1 star and 4 stars. The buyer will think they both suck.

This is one of the reasons why Fiverr is going to start implementing reviews on canceled orders - and they are lowering the bar for sellers to maintain their level to 4.3-star reviews. Fiverr expects to see more 1, 2, 3, and 4-star reviews due to this change and hopefully the rating scale will have more meaning to buyers.

• Like 13

14 hours ago, cahit_dogan said:

I mean, any gig less than 5 stars sucks for buyers. 

This indicates that the rating function is rather meaningless.

Also, if a buyer unfairly gives you less than 5 stars on your first gig, your Fiverr journey is over. You must delete your account and create a new one.

In the past few days, I also got a client with whom my communication went very well. However, they gave me a 4-star rating and left. The thing is, we can't always understand the nature of buyers. Some buyers consider a 4-star rating as a good one, while others don't.

• Like 7