So a friend asked me...

zeus777

A while ago a coworker of mine asked me about Fiverr, he wanted to know how it works, how much I make, etc etc.
Since my coworker can speak/read/write three languages fluently, he seemed to be interested in creating an account. I told him he can do a translation gig for sure.
He did create an account, but then his first daughter was born and he got busy so he still hasn't created a gig. He IS skilled and qualified though, so I'm sure once he creates his gig he will do quite well.
Just today another friend of mine asked me about Fiverr, he seemed to be interested, he did point out though that he wasn't sure what we can offer as a service.
He's a computer guy and can speak 2 languages, I'm sure he can be pretty successful too.
He wanted to know more about Fiverr, so while we were sipping coffee and munching on scones, I told him everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I know about Fiverr.
Both the good and the ugly.

By the time I was finished, it looked like he was having second thoughts. I guess he found out that while Fiverr can be great, it IS a job after all, and you will be facing stressful situations quite often. He actually said "Eww...." when I told him about the silly "Hi give me job" spam messages I get.

Any of you guys have friends who started Fiverr recently after seeing your success? Did they end up being successful too?

• Like 24
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

Any of you guys have friends who started Fiverr recently after seeing your success? Did they end up being successful too?

No, our conversations pretty much sound like yours.

Many of my friends have a lot of talent and show interest, but then don't follow through. It seems like a good idea at first but they learn that Fiverr isn't a place to get money quickly - it's like any business that you have to build over time. So they quickly lose interest.

Some think Fiverr is still a place of $5 gigs and don't think you can make real money here. They ask me why I'm giving up my food science job to compete with the man singing the "Happy Birthday" song with his goat.

And there are others who don't want to do the "hard stuff" and tell me that they will just work under me ... expecting me pass work on to them (I politely decline).

• Like 19
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

A while ago a coworker of mine asked me about Fiverr, he wanted to know how it works, how much I make, etc etc.
Since my coworker can speak/read/write three languages fluently, he seemed to be interested in creating an account. I told him he can do a translation gig for sure.
He did create an account, but then his first daughter was born and he got busy so he still hasn't created a gig. He IS skilled and qualified though, so I'm sure once he creates his gig he will do quite well.
Just today another friend of mine asked me about Fiverr, he seemed to be interested, he did point out though that he wasn't sure what we can offer as a service.
He's a computer guy and can speak 2 languages, I'm sure he can be pretty successful too.
He wanted to know more about Fiverr, so while we were sipping coffee and munching on scones, I told him everything, and I mean EVERYTHING I know about Fiverr.
Both the good and the ugly.

By the time I was finished, it looked like he was having second thoughts. I guess he found out that while Fiverr can be great, it IS a job after all, and you will be facing stressful situations quite often. He actually said "Eww...." when I told him about the silly "Hi give me job" spam messages I get.

Well, honestly I have trained few of my friends (course mates) and all of them have become Level 2 Sellers with the help of my guidance. They continuously asked me to help and guide them whenever they encountered any issue until they become experienced. I feel so lucky that they actually listened and followed my instructions and advices. Unfortunately, I cannot reveal their identities (want to keep them as my hidden gems lol). They always look for me whenever they need my help and appreciates me too. Their niche were logo design, illustrations, content writing, social media posts designs etc.

On the other hand, sometimes they ask me to give them the tasks but I always politely decline their requests and encourages them always to manage everything on their own. I have helped you in reaching/accomplishing your goals.. so next step should be yours. I can guide you but no job from my side until I ask them to do on my own!

• Like 14
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vickieito said:

No, our conversations pretty much sound like yours.

Many of my friends have a lot of talent and show interest, but then don't follow through. It seems like a good idea at first but they learn that Fiverr isn't a place to get money quickly - it's like any business that you have to build over time. So they quickly lose interest.

Some think Fiverr is still a place of $5 gigs and don't think you can make real money here. They ask me why I'm giving up my food science job to compete with the man singing the "Happy Birthday" song with his goat.

And there are others who don't want to do the "hard stuff" and tell me that they will just work under me ... expecting me pass work on to them (I politely decline).

I think that opinion was general and covers most. All folks want:
1. to become billionaire in first week

2. without doing hard job

3. and without pressurizing to think, and invent. Just want to do daily routine job sleepily. hehe

I think most of time and for most folks, job under a bald boss with normal stable salary is suitable.

Fiverr is related to self business. Have unstable income, for every seller, regardless of badges.

And not always everyone destiny is to be fiverr freelancer.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, vickieito said:

compete with the man singing the "Happy Birthday" song with his goat.

I once paid $5 to a hairy guy who dances in bright blue spandex while singing happy birthday to my friend, I'll gladly pay for that gig too! 🤣

22 hours ago, smartdezigns said:

they actually listened and followed my instructions and advices.

....that's quite rare around here, just reading that makes me happy!

• Like 9
  • Haha 3
  • Congrats! 1

On 7/25/2023 at 6:31 PM, zeus777 said:

nce paid $5 to a hairy guy who dances in bright blue spandex while singing happy birthday to my friend, I'll gladly pay for that gig too! 🤣

Oh, did Fiverr get rid of those types of services? I couldn't find "hairy guy in blue spandex" using Fiverr's search and there used to be a Lifestyle section with those birthday greetings! Where did that section go???? I remember that guy. 😂He might have inspired the guy with the goat to sing the Happy Birthday song, too!

On 7/24/2023 at 8:27 PM, smartdezigns said:

I have trained few of my friends (course mates) and all of them have become Level 2 Sellers with the help of my guidance.

@smartdezigns, I think that's awesome you were able to help so many of your friends be successful on Fiverr! Have you considered doing business coaching as a gig?

I think everyone needs the help of a coach when starting their business. An hour after I posted my first gig, I hired my first business coach, a nice lady from Pakistan (I got scared and lonely within the first hour of being on Fiverr). 😅 Having a coach made all the difference for me.

On 7/25/2023 at 2:39 AM, grayprogrammerz said:

I think most of time and for most folks, job under a bald boss with normal stable salary is suitable.

Fiverr is related to self business. Have unstable income, for every seller, regardless of badges.

And not always everyone destiny is to be fiverr freelancer.

This is definitely the hardest thing I've ever done! I agree that many people would be happier with a secure job and guaranteed income. However, it's hard to go back to that life once you get a taste of freelancing. I love being able to change my prices whenever I want and being able to work and take naps when I need them. 😊

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3

3 hours ago, vickieito said:

@smartdezigns, I think that's awesome you were able to help so many of your friends be successful on Fiverr! Have you considered doing business coaching as a gig?

I think everyone needs the help of a coach when starting their business. An hour after I posted my first gig, I hired my first business coach, a nice lady from Pakistan (I got scared and lonely within the first hour of being on Fiverr). 😅 Having a coach made all the difference for me.

Well, honestly every other person has suggested me to launch a Company because of successful Freelancing career and hire other designers or a team for myself so that I can hand over my tasks to them and I can take rest now as it's been 9 years of Freelancing. According to them, I have done a lot of services for myself lol (they called me a "Rich Lady" :classic_laugh:..) 

Coaching Business: Yes, I have thought of that too but here in Pakistan, every other person considers himself as a successful or experienced (which in actual they are at zero level).  Even others have suggested me to open a YouTube Channel and start teaching there. Actually, I don't want to do anything neither want to launch a company nor a coaching business or YouTube channel. I think that these things requires a lot of time, investment, hard work and detailed planning too which I guess that I can't do alone.. Also about their gigs: I don't think that I will be able to manage them due to some personal reasons. (we can discuss this part privately via Forum's messages if want to).

For now, I am fine with the things as they are.. But there is a possibility in the future that I might hire 1 designer with whom I can share my burden (my mother suggested me this after checking my condition this month lol). Reason is that this month (July 2023), as compared to last year's, my sales got increased by 20% so I had to manage and work on everything on my own till I got badly exhausted (sleepless nights plus had too much body ache). So far, July 2023 has been considered one of the best month of 2023 year in terms of sales!

Let's see how it goes in the future and what steps I take. Hope for the best! 

Edited by smartdezigns
Additional Content
  • Like 10
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

On 7/25/2023 at 10:59 AM, zeus777 said:

Hi there, I recommended fiverr to one of my very close friends & he joined fiverr after I cleared all the doubts he had about the platform. He is a very technical guy & offers great services to his clients. I was unclear about some stuff for which, my personal fiverr account is currently in review & God knows how much time it will take, but while my profile is restricted and in review, I've gone through all of the recommended practices by fiverr including following TOS at all times as well 🙂

• Like 4
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

20 hours ago, vickieito said:

Oh, did Fiverr get rid of those types of services?

I'm not sure if they got rid of them entirely, but I think the blue spandex ribbon dancing guy isn't around anymore.
I think there was also this guy who dressed up as Jesus and did personal messages, that was pretty funny too.
I'm aware that Fiverr is trying to look "Professional," but I do like those silly gigs as well, I hope they all stick around 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Congrats! 1

I've suggested Fiverr on a few occasions but try to keep it in perspective referring to it as a good "side hustle" if you put effort into it.

I think one friend did launch a music mixing-related gig and I don't doubt is making a few bucks at it.

That's sort of how I have viewed Fiverr all along, as another source of income but not a primary one. 

• Like 5
  • Congrats! 1

I have recommended Fiverr to about 30 people. After explaining it in detail, mentioning all the efforts needed to be successful on the marketplace and its benefits, just about 14 created gigs in my niche - Financial Consulting Services. Nine were successful and cashed out really good. Six are still on till date. 

We mostly share ideas in WhatsApp groups. But since the great purge in January, many are beginning to lose faith that the platform has become more difficult than before to earn. It has made a lot of freelancers from my area to give up. 

Nevertheless, I believe if you shift your mentality from seeing Fiverr as just a "side hustle" and treat it like a business, you'll definitely see the rewards. No business has a stable income. 

• Like 4