Scammers on Fiverr

midnightstarr20

"Leave this site?"

Dang, what do you mean, like a threatening message like "You need to leave Fiverr or else??"
Or more like "Hey Fiverr sucks, go to so-and-so site!" instead?

I've been on Fiverr for quite some time, but I've never gotten such a message!

3 hours ago, zeus777 said:

Dang, what do you mean, like a threatening message like "You need to leave Fiverr or else??"
Or more like "Hey Fiverr sucks, go to so-and-so site!" instead?

More like "Message me/our CEO/our project manager on telegram", and the like, would be my guess.

And yes, a lot of that going on recently.

Yes, I also received a message with an invitation to cooperate in whatsapp. There was a person who offered to work, sent a pdf in which the description of the work, but he also said that you need to pay a guaranteed deposit, and then when the payment for the work is received, they will return it. Be careful. Thank you.

18 hours ago, midnightstarr20 said:
Do any of you on this forum notice anything strange going on with Fiverr lately?

In the past two days, I have received three requests from scammers asking me to leave this site. Have you also experienced this?

Yes! I got recently. It's very annoying.

I just joined this site as a buyer and noticed something strange on some high rated sellers reviews. Lots of them are posted by the same people, at various times, reviews are good but different words. This is disturbing, as now i am wondering if these people don`t buy these good reviews to get higher ratings and get the jobs! Now i feel i cannot trust this system! So disappointing!

On 4/22/2022 at 3:20 AM, cocomarb said:

I just joined this site as a buyer and noticed something strange on some high rated sellers reviews. Lots of them are posted by the same people, at various times, reviews are good but different words. This is disturbing, as now i am wondering if these people don`t buy these good reviews to get higher ratings and get the jobs! Now i feel i cannot trust this system! So disappointing!

I'm not really sure why that is disturbing. In fact, if a friend told me they want to order on Fiverr, "scroll through all the reviews and see if they have some returning customers", would be one of my tips. 

Many of us high-ranking sellers are high-ranking for good reasons, one of them being that we have regular customers who keep coming back, because they are happy with our services. I have customers who order since years, customers who are happy to wait until I'm available again if I'm booked out, ...

And many of them leave reviews. Often different words, but some also write the same text always, or even for all sellers they buy from, either to save time, or because they don't want to think about new words every time, or because their English isn't so great, and they rather write the same thing.

It's good and smart to be careful and go about choosing a seller wisely, but what you describe sounds like the common and normal thing for high-ranking sellers. If good reviews and returning customers are the only thing that strikes you as untrustworthy, you may be missing out on some really good sellers.

If you feel too timid to place a big order with such a seller, despite everything else than good reviews by repeat customers, like their profile page and Gig pages, descriptions, portfolio samples, and everything else seeming coherent and convincing, you can contact them to ask them with details about your job and ask them if they'd take it on, and see if they seem credible and capable in your conversation, and you can also ask for a custom offer for a small job first, and see how it goes, before placing a bigger order.

Of course, there are some bad apples, like everywhere, but usually, the higher-ranking a seller is, and the longer they are on the platform, the lower your risk (there's not much risk for buyers anyway, if a seller won't deliver, you can cancel the order and get a refund. It may help you to trust Fiverr more if you read up on the mechanics of the system in their Buyer Help Center articles.)

Again, it's smart to be careful, absolutely, I just can't really follow your reasoning. If it's a new seller who only has reviews from the same person, I can understand that distrust quite well (and even then, it might just be a buyer who took a chance with a new seller, and is happy enough with their work that they keep coming back, but with high-ranking sellers with lots of reviews and many buyers, I'd rather see returning buyers as a good sign. 

And I should maybe mention that, while being a high-ranking seller who never bought a fake review in my life, and has many retuning customers, some of whom kindly leave reviews for every job I do for them, I've also bought quite a few Gigs myself, so I understand the struggle of choosing a seller. I'll admit that it usually takes me a lot of browsing and looking closely and comparing, but it was well-invested time, and all sellers delivered what their Gigs promised, and I've ordered from sellers from different levels, from newbie to Top Rated Seller.

Hope that helps by adding a little perspective.

Archived