I am selling myself as a proofreader on the autism spectrum.

jacobkrehbiel

26 minutes ago, jacobkrehbiel said:

Do you believe that will be seen enough as an advantage?

Is that a market that is currently underserved? if so, then, yes, it could be an advantage. What does your market research tell you?

27 minutes ago, jacobkrehbiel said:

Do you think it's smart to wear it that much on my sleeve? 

That's up to you. Is it something that will resonate with your target customers?

As long as you have a quality service, it shouldn't matter where you are on any spectrum; same for all of us. 

As far as using it as a marketing point, hard to say.  Some percentage of the buyers will see it as a disability and shy away, others will see it as an opportunity.  There is really no better way to know than to try some A-B testing.  

I have dropped you a PM.

I would suggest you run two gigs, one highlighting your autism and one without. Do vary the gig content, however, as we cannot have identical ones. But both can be for editing-based services (of which proofreading is one). 

If you are good at proofreading, you will attract clients to both gigs. I don't feel it will work against you to mention or highlight your autism but having two gigs would be even better. Personally, I'd probably be more drawn to the autism one and I would not see this as a downside--rather the opposite.

On 3/21/2022 at 7:55 PM, jacobkrehbiel said:

Do you believe that will be seen enough as an advantage? Do you think it's smart to wear it that much on my sleeve? 

I was just having this conversation with my mom. I'm getting into copywriting because I just learned you don't need a college degree. I've been transparent on applications, explaining that I don't have a degree because I went into kidney failure the day after my high school graduation, and, frankly, haven't been right since. She couldn't believe I would be forthcoming like that, but I don't know why I wouldn't be...

It's all true: I planned to go to college for journalism, but there was no way I could have at that point. Then, a few years ago, I finally got a "root cause diagnosis." I'm thinking and feeling much better now, so here I am!

No shame in my game, so I'm glad to see you're putting your real self out there, too!

Archived