I changed my focus on how I used fiverr

ruthsalmun

I used fiverr casually because last year I was still in school, now I graduated. The thing is, I got tired of getting small jobs low paying, I know its starting over by removing old gigs, changing to higher prices, but I'm doing this while job hunting and there's no hurry. I realized that if I'm freelancing I might as well do what I like, and I kind of hate how fiverr sets this very low bar when it comes to paying artists. We are not worth 5 dollars, and I will never do a job lower than 35 dollars ever again. I feel like some people here work so hard to get a really good portfolio, and I'm tired of lowering my value, I have found costumers that now pay me from over 50 dollars, I understand why I was getting less previously, but now I feel like I can never go back to that. I'm hoping this year my gigs can increase even more in price as I gain experience.  I don't know if anyone else is feeling like this?

I love hearing this.  This helps raise the bar for everyone.  It is good that you know your worth, and it sounds like have a success plan. 

18 minutes ago, ruthsalmun said:

I don't know if anyone else is feeling like this?

Definitely.  I'm still very much a neophyte here, but I've already graduated from beating the bushes for $5 gigs, to "I won't get out off the couch for less than $20", and my average selling price has risen to $50.  

We would love to hear back later how your plan is going. 

I agree, but Fiverr is a very hard market to be in. The way it has positioned itself in the market is simply not conducive to good pricing. It constantly undercuts industry rates. Sure, going from $5 to $50 is easy (depending on the field of work, naturally), and going from $50 to $500 is doable. But to go from $500 to $5000 (and certain things are definitely worth the $5000, or even much more - a logo for a big company, a video that is the cornerstone of an ad campaign that will bring millions in revenue) is next to impossible. There's a clear ceiling. 

At the moment I'm not interested in doing anything under $125 (and this is for really simple things), preferably over $500, and I find that even when I advertise my prices clearly I'm still flooded with a bunch of tire kickers that ghost once I confirm that my prices are, indeed, what's on public display. Because why wouldn't they be? Do these people realize what a day rate of a professional editor is? No, they don't. Because they are utterly unqualified leads.

Hard agree, for now I'm a bit flexible, however I have become more strict an confident of my prices. I am working towards getting better jobs outside fiverr too, but this place is nice for small gigs. I also feel it si important to have prices in display, if someone can't pay for it, then they should look for lower quality work.

Yes, don't be afraid of raising your prices! I do design and I started off with $5 gig and it didn't feel good working on those design back then because it was extremely underpaid. I don't want to keep feeling that way, so I started raising my price as I gain more reviews and buyers. I am happier now doing business here with my new rates. I've seen so many great sellers charging much much less than they should be because they are afraid of losing their repeat clients. The thing is, clients who actually see value in your work and respect your profession wouldn't mind the rate increase.

Archived