Confused buyer makes things complicated.

precords1275

So I received an order to synchronize audio. As in manipulate time to match a video project. The download filled my dropbox with 101gb of random files not in any sort of order, and I was given an entire video project. Generally in this case, I am given a video file and some consolidated audio tracks or stems. I made my own stems using the video program, which was not part of the job, and took up enough time that it was already taking longer than it was worth for a order in this price range. 

Nothing was out of sync; the audio was all there and lined up to the terrible film (not that my opinion on it was asked for, but it was painful to watch on repeat.) I asked for clarification on what needed to be synchronized. Well, they wanted the background noise removed. No big deal, I excel at this. And then they wanted the quality of each scene to be consistent across the entirety of the film, but they had done a poor job of recording it! I did it anyways, and sent 192mb of audio ready to drop into the video editor.

It was rejected because the mix wasn't right. But mixing wasn't part of the job description (neither was any of the other work I did.) Apparently it got loud in a few spots, so I dropped it down and resubmitted explaining that I would not be mixing this film.

The order timed out and I got paid, but it left a real sour taste in my mouth, another professional trying to play dumb and pretend that they didn't understand common industry terminology. They tried to explain that they wanted the quality "synced" across the project... That doesn't even make sense. Oh well, it's over now so onward and upward!

• Like 7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Happens every once in a while. The buyer just makes an order without reading the gig description, FAQ and packages and then asks to do something that is not offered in the gig. Then you can either do it or risk getting a hit on your metrics by canceling the order. It would be better if there was an option to accept or reject an order after the requirements form has been filled up. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, wpemployee said:

Happens every once in a while. The buyer just makes an order without reading the gig description, FAQ and packages and then asks to do something that is not offered in the gig. Then you can either do it or risk getting a hit on your metrics by canceling the order. It would be better if there was an option to accept or reject an order after the requirements form has been filled up. 

That would be nice if we as a buyer had a choice of accepting or rejecting offers WITHOUT affecting our gig stats

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

I lost my seller level because I had a few people message me asking me to do a bunch of work upfront to show that I am capable, and therefore I ignored them because my time = money. But then my communication dropped (I ignored 2 and it dropped way more than it should have.) Don't let it happen to you!

• Like 37
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, precords1275 said:

I lost my seller level because I had a few people message me asking me to do a bunch of work upfront to show that I am capable, and therefore I ignored them because my time = money. But then my communication dropped (I ignored 2 and it dropped way more than it should have.) Don't let it happen to you!

Hey my Friend,

Big sad. 😔

• Like 37
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

Yep, it is important to reply to messages when you see them, even if you are telling them that you can't do what they are asking for. A quick way to quickly reply without spending too much time worrying about the request is to use the Quick Response function. However, if the buyer is asking something against TOS, being unreasonable, rude or spamming then you can report them or block the user. This should not affect your response rate.

• Like 38
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, precords1275 said:

very sad

• Like 31
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...