How Often Do You Update Your Gig?

donebyar

I actually never do! When it's not broke, don't fix it they say right? The only times I've edited my gig was mainly in the beginning. Once I got some orders I realized what needed to be done to polish my gig. For example add certain questions to my requirements, add a video etc.

The only change I've made (like 2 months ago) was raising my prices. Changing the keywords I haven't done for example, and I wouldn't know when you notice when that would be needed. I guess that's a good move when you don't receive orders for a long time

My advice would be to only make changes that truly improve your gig. Don't just edit it for the heck of it. And also write down all the changes you want to make and do it all in one go. And my last thought; not getting orders doesn't always mean your gig isn't right. Sometimes it's just a slow month (god knows I've had those) and usually it picks up again, with many orders in one week before it goes radio silent again. But of course, it's never wrong to stay critical about your gig 😄

I'm only speaking from own experience of course, so do with this information as you please! 

Constantly. My gig is my business, and my business is a rose bush that needs constantly pruned to stay healthy. Sometimes my images need updated to be better looking. Sometimes I get new work I want to highlight in my portfolio. Sometimes I have a bad experience with a miscommunication between me and a customer, and I need to clarify my copy or add a Frequently Asked Question. Sometimes the business just changes - my book editing gig used to be for an Amazon publishing company called Createspace, but a few years ago that was phased out and replaced with KDP so I had to totally revise my copy to replace that. Oh and of course I constantly change my pricing to reflect demand, new skills I might have learned, or the fact that I don't feel like doing something so I jack the price up really high. (Yes, really.)

I never stop editing my gig.

36 minutes ago, donebyar said:

I am curious to know how often you update your gig, and why.

I frequently update my gigs. I'm always analyzing their performance and as I learn new things and I implement changes accordingly. I try to update my gig images once a year. I find that to be the sweet spot. It keeps things fresh, but I'm still very recognizeable. I don't want to confuse my buyers to I try to make smaller changes to the branding, rather than jarring huge changes. I also like to test out new things on new gigs, so if I make a new gig, I'll be more generous with my "go crazy" quota, meaning I might test out all new branding, styles, sales pitches and so on, to see what works better. Changes that makes sense are then transferred over to my main gigs - the real moneymakers. 

My FAQs are also updated frequently, based on the questions I get from buyers. 

I treat gig videos the same way as gig images. 

I keep my profile description updated as well, along with my portfolio. 

I also test out new ways of making the order process quicker and smoother. For example, I noticed that many buyers didn't answer all the questions I have for them at the beginning when they order my writing gig. So I worked on making that process smoother with better questions and instructions. 

So I would say: constantly. I don't edit everything at once, and I always test new things before I implement anything to my biggest moneymakers. Every change I make has to have a purpose, and I make sure to analyze the results over time, to see what works. 

For pricing, I follow a very simple strategy: if I have more work than I can handle well, I increase my rates by 10-20%. I analyze and implement pricing changes every 6 months. 

@rachelbostwickI completely agree haha! I also have to admit, I just simply wouldn't really know what I'd have to change. And most importantly; if it would make a difference 😅

I think it all depends on what someone personally notices what can be improved (e.g. updating your FAQ) & maybe a little the field you're in too? 

28 minutes ago, smashradio said:

So I would say: constantly. I don't edit everything at once, and I always test new things before I implement anything to my biggest moneymakers.

I think I based my thought on not editing too much on my early beginning days where I read editing constantly was advised against. I think when you have multiple gigs and plenty of reviews you have more room to experiment, since the orders will roll in anyway. But maybe the editing doesn't affect your gig presence on the search page a lot anymore? 

Since Fiverr doesn't allow us to share our personal websites, my plan is to bring my content here. I plan on updating weekly with new content.

Like one week a PDF similar to a blog post, the next, a video, and then the next, a graphic with a quote.

Good idea or horrible idea?

1 hour ago, rachelbostwick said:

If you mean on your gig, honestly, it's not for that. You should have your best work in your gig and keep it there. You can rotate it out if you have better work.

I have been thinking about what you said, and I agree. This isn't the place for that.

I have already put a video and a PDF up, but I can take a down. I will add a video more appropriate for this site as well as a portfolio.

I constantly think about ways I can improve my gig, I'm always taking notes on ideas, and for me the biggest one is any time I experience any difficulty with a buyer or order. Straight away I'll look to see if I can improve something with my gig description or FAQ's, to see if I can reduce the chance of encountering the same problem again.

Archived