Expectations, how to deal with them

manuelmarino

Ok, I said about this in another topic as reply, but I think it deserves its own thread. 

Consider this case: in a scale of 1 to 10 quality points, freelancers probably deliver even at 10 points, but there is an 11. In my case since I'm a composer I talk about the big names that are paid 2 millions USD and more per feature film, ok? so have in mind this example.

I create music, but my prices are very low compared to such big names. This is normal, freelancers usually give very high quality products fast and easily, to customers in need with a lower budget. It's perfectly normal, it's part of our business. The problem is the expectations. I can't deliver a 2 million dollars product for 200 USD.

It's not fair, it's absurd, it's totally out of the schemes.

I'm sure this happens also in other industries. The problem is: there are customers with absurd expectations. They expect the 2 million dollars product for a very low price, impressive low price compared to the 2 millions.

A reasonable person understand without any explanations the kind of market we freelancers work on. We don't work in the "2 million dollars per feature film" market. BUT THIS IS OBVIOUS!

Ok, but there are customers that can't understand this, and the solution is: we need to educate them, teach them, in a gentle and polite way of course.

If you remember my thread about relationship, creating a strong relationship with a customer can help you educate him/her. It's not about "convincing them", but helping them to understand something totally reasonable and obvious for us as freelancers and probably for the 99% remaining customers.

Your ideas?

1 hour ago, manuelmarino said:

we need to educate them, teach them, in a gentle and polite way of course.

I've tried this, both inside and out of Fiverr.

In most cases, they get it. In other cases, no matter how politely and nicely you explain it to them, they just don't get it and say things like
"I paid you, so do your job" "You're just saying you can't do it because you're not skilled enough."

Surprisingly rude and dumb people like that do exist.

How do I deal with them?
I just say good day, and walk away. My work at the office doesn't allow me to do this, but Fiverr does!

8 hours ago, manuelmarino said:

Ok, I said about this in another topic as reply, but I think it deserves its own thread. 

Consider this case: in a scale of 1 to 10 quality points, freelancers probably deliver even at 10 points, but there is an 11. In my case since I'm a composer I talk about the big names that are paid 2 millions USD and more per feature film, ok? so have in mind this example.

I create music, but my prices are very low compared to such big names. This is normal, freelancers usually give very high quality products fast and easily, to customers in need with a lower budget. It's perfectly normal, it's part of our business. The problem is the expectations. I can't deliver a 2 million dollars product for 200 USD.

It's not fair, it's absurd, it's totally out of the schemes.

I'm sure this happens also in other industries. The problem is: there are customers with absurd expectations. They expect the 2 million dollars product for a very low price, impressive low price compared to the 2 millions.

A reasonable person understand without any explanations the kind of market we freelancers work on. We don't work in the "2 million dollars per feature film" market. BUT THIS IS OBVIOUS!

Ok, but there are customers that can't understand this, and the solution is: we need to educate them, teach them, in a gentle and polite way of course.

If you remember my thread about relationship, creating a strong relationship with a customer can help you educate him/her. It's not about "convincing them", but helping them to understand something totally reasonable and obvious for us as freelancers and probably for the 99% remaining customers.

Your ideas?

thanks 

Archived