What if buyer asks for revision on messages instead of request revision button?

designsbysimm

Question

This is my first client who is requesting a revision. He messaged me to change something. I said yes. But I didn't get any notficiation that he used any "request revision" button. So should I tell him to use that button? Or should I just deliver usign the "deliver again" feature myself? Even though my time is finished.

3 answers to this question

Overall I'd say it's best to inform your client that in order for you to revise and make changes, they ask for this through the request revision button. Otherwise you'll risk having to make more changes than what you've stated in your gig and you'll be taken advantage of. 

However, I have to admit I'm guilty of making changes myself despite the buyer not going through the 'official' way. Whenever I did this it was because it was such a minor change, I knew it could be easily solved and telling the buyer to request a revision would be more hassle than making the actual change. So far this 'system' hasn't been abused by buyers. It goes without saying though that if a buyer ever came back for another revision, I'd tell them to do so through a revision request. To avoid this from happening I now also mention it whenever I deliver my order just to be safe. I mention something like 'if you want something changed that's not a problem at all, just tell me through a revision request and I'll adjust it accordingly'. 

I don't know the extent of the revision your buyer is requesting. But if it's a minor change I personally (I know other sellers will probably disagree) don't see the harm in changing it and using the 'deliver again' button. But that's because for me it has always went well and I haven't had to deal with horror client behaviour. 

I hope this little essay I wrote helped a bit!

I don’t really care if they request a revision with the button or just asked it in messages. 
If I can deliver it before the order will be marked automatically completed then I’ll just do it and deliver it, it still counts as a revision. 
if I need more time then I just drop a note that I received their revision but it will be great if they can also press a button for revision to avoid order auto completing itself. 

I ask buyers to use the button. It’s not a major tragedy if they don’t but some of them send revisions via messages because they think that they can get more revisions this way. That those sent via messages don’t count, they’re just “comments”. I prefer to remind them that there is a proper procedure. 

Archived