ATTENTION USA SELLERS: 1099s will be issued by the end of the month if you made over $20,000

misscrystal

New update from CS about your 1099s:

Hi again,

I’m back with an update.

The 1099 form will be issued directly from our Finance department to you as a user by the end of this month.

This is only if you earned over $20,000.

So this raises a question I have:

We get a 1099 from Paypal and a 1099 from fiverr but this is for the same income.
But to the IRS it looks like we have two separate incomes.

New update from CS about your 1099s:

Hi again,

I’m back with an update.

The 1099 form will be issued directly from our Finance department to you as a user by the end of this month.

This is only if you earned over $20,000.

So this raises a question I have:

We get a 1099 from Paypal and a 1099 from fiverr but this is for the same income.

But to the IRS it looks like we have two separate incomes.

I would think that it would be easy enough to prove to the IRS if you were to be audited how Fiverr income is moved to your PayPal, and should not be counted on the PayPal 1099, even if it is. Pain the butt if they do that, but, not something that could not be explained, if need be. If you have an accountant, they should be the one explaining to the IRS if you do get audited.

In my experience, having read on different platforms online for almost 25 years, those companies tend to wait til the 11th hour to send out the 1099’s and we get them either end of January or beginning of February. This should not hold you up if you want to at least have a rough draft of what you earned and what you may owe. All you need to do is take what you earned in 2020, add that to your other earned income and then begin to weep if you do owe taxes. Most times, IC’s will owe tax if they do not have a 9 to 5 type job that is paying into the tax base already. Also, IC’s are supposed to be filing quarterly tax returns and paying estimated taxes. Most do not do this and this is also why many who have a decent income freelancing will have a huge tax bill in April - what happens is, they penalize you for not filing quarterly!

GG

I would think that it would be easy enough to prove to the IRS if you were to be audited how Fiverr income is moved to your PayPal, and should not be counted on the PayPal 1099, even if it is. Pain the butt if they do that, but, not something that could not be explained, if need be. If you have an accountant, they should be the one explaining to the IRS if you do get audited.

In my experience, having read on different platforms online for almost 25 years, those companies tend to wait til the 11th hour to send out the 1099’s and we get them either end of January or beginning of February. This should not hold you up if you want to at least have a rough draft of what you earned and what you may owe. All you need to do is take what you earned in 2020, add that to your other earned income and then begin to weep if you do owe taxes. Most times, IC’s will owe tax if they do not have a 9 to 5 type job that is paying into the tax base already. Also, IC’s are supposed to be filing quarterly tax returns and paying estimated taxes. Most do not do this and this is also why many who have a decent income freelancing will have a huge tax bill in April - what happens is, they penalize you for not filing quarterly!

GG

it would be easy enough to prove to the IRS if you were to be audited

Hi GG, hoping to not get audited haha. They would probably send a letter asking for lots of extra money.

• 2 weeks later...

it would be easy enough to prove to the IRS if you were to be audited

Hi GG, hoping to not get audited haha. They would probably send a letter asking for lots of extra money.

Yeah, that is what I don’t get. Two separate 1099K forms for the same income. I’m hoping the IRS will understand that PayPal is a payment processor and not an employer.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that is what I don’t get. Two separate 1099K forms for the same income. I’m hoping the IRS will understand that PayPal is a payment processor and not an employer.

My accountant has been doing this for 40 years and has never seen this happen before, where we have two 1099s for the same income. I expect to have a lot of explaining to do if I don’t want double the taxes. Plus penalties.

She told me to call and write letters to Paypal and also Fiverr and ask why I got 1099s from each one. I have a bad feeling about this. I can imagine going to tax court actually over it. Time to look for a tax lawyer.

We need fiver to give us a letter which states all our payments from fiverr went to Paypal. Otherwise we are in for problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived