How bad does a mutual cancellation hurt your ratings?

janebarnaby

Hello there. I hope you’re having a good day.

Today, I was messaged by a buyer who requested a custom order. I made it for them, and they accepted, creating the order and filling in the requirements. However, it then turned out that they needed the work done in over a month’s time (they did state this in their original message, but I accidentally missed this), and we’ll need to cancel the order to return their money and ensure no late/nonexistent delivery on my side.

However, I’ve heard horror stories about cancellations. I reached level one a few months back, and I’m terrified to lose it. On top of that, my gigs seem to be really struggling, having gone almost invisible a while back, meaning I’ve barely had any orders the past month. I’m afraid that if I cancel it, the algorithm will punish me and I will lose my rank and what little traffic I have.

All in all… How bad of an idea is it to cancel in this situation?

Today, I was messaged by a buyer who requested a custom order. I made it for them, and they accepted, creating the order and filling in the requirements. However, it then turned out that they needed the work done in over a month’s time (they did state this in their original message, but I accidentally missed this), and we’ll need to cancel the order to return their money and ensure no late/nonexistent delivery on my side.

However, I’ve heard horror stories about cancellations. I reached level one a few months back, and I’m terrified to lose it. On top of that, my gigs seem to be really struggling, having gone almost invisible a while back, meaning I’ve barely had any orders the past month. I’m afraid that if I cancel it, the algorithm will punish me and I will lose my rank and what little traffic I have.

However, it then turned out that they needed the work done in over a month’s time

I don’t think there should be any problems here because I think the sooner you get the job done with your client satisfied, the better.

Is that job a very lengthy one that your buyer wanted it done in over a month’s time?

However, it then turned out that they needed the work done in over a month’s time

I don’t think there should be any problems here because I think the sooner you get the job done with your client satisfied, the better.

Is that job a very lengthy one that your buyer wanted it done in over a month’s time?

This particular gig is for reading and critiquing manuscripts, and the manuscript in question will not actually be ready until mid-October.

This particular gig is for reading and critiquing manuscripts, and the manuscript in question will not actually be ready until mid-October.

it’s okay as long as the delivery time is as much as the client wants the job done in.

If not, then I think that there is an option to edit the delivery time. I am not sure but I think that it has to be done from the side of the buyer. Though I could be wrong

it’s okay as long as the delivery time is as much as the client wants the job done in.

If not, then I think that there is an option to edit the delivery time. I am not sure but I think that it has to be done from the side of the buyer. Though I could be wrong

I wish that would work, and that was the buyer’s initial idea too, but the delivery time would have to be extended by a full month and then some. Orders on Fiverr max out at 30 days, sadly.

How bad of an idea is it to cancel in this situation?

I don’t know how bad a mutual cancelation would hurt in your case, but given that you’re experiencing a slump in sales, it would be better to ask CS to cancel the order for you. If you can afford to wait for their reply, that is.

The only time I needed to contact them to do that for me, it worked great. I asked if they could cancel the order without hurting my stats, and although the CS agent said they couldn’t guarantee anything, my stats didn’t take the hit.

How bad of an idea is it to cancel in this situation?

I don’t know how bad a mutual cancelation would hurt in your case, but given that you’re experiencing a slump in sales, it would be better to ask CS to cancel the order for you. If you can afford to wait for their reply, that is.

The only time I needed to contact them to do that for me, it worked great. I asked if they could cancel the order without hurting my stats, and although the CS agent said they couldn’t guarantee anything, my stats didn’t take the hit.

I was thinking of that as well, since I’ve had CS cancel an order for me before so there wouldn’t be repercussions for me, and they were super helpful. The ticket system right now is telling me to just deal with it the resolution center, though.

image.thumb.png.1d26bbfd20606b802ec9fb62f19f6f79.png
image1107×630 45.6 KB

Oh, it seems they’ve changed things! I hadn’t seen that message before, and I find it worrying. Are they trying to tell us they won’t cancel orders for us anymore? I hope not.

Maybe you could be cheeky and select a different option? I don’t know how CS would see it though…

There seems to be a text below it that’s basically this size that guides you to an actual customer support ticket. It; s almost like they’re hiding it. Hm. I will have to try that.

Edit since this didn’t send: I sent a ticket to support. I’m happy to wait a while since there’s a 17-day timer, and I think (hope) everything will be resolved by then.

Oh, it seems they’ve changed things! I hadn’t seen that message before, and I find it worrying. Are they trying to tell us they won’t cancel orders for us anymore? I hope not.

Maybe you could be cheeky and select a different option? I don’t know how CS would see it though…

If that is so, I hope that they managed to implement something that will evaluate the cancellation reason in the same way they (seemed to) do it manually if contacted about cancellations.

If this is the case, then this isn’t a mutual cancellation.

You’re unable to complete the work, because the Buyer has failed to provide you with the necessary information/details to complete the work.

If the buyer was ready to go now, you’d be happy to work right? So it isn’t a mutual cancellation, and you shouldn’t agree to it being one. Request Customer Support cancel the order, for the above-mentioned reason. They will most likely agree to it, and your cancellation rate won’t take a hit.

UPDATE

After I sent the customer support ticket three days ago…nothing has happened yet. The original email said their response time at the time was 12-18 hours, but I’m not sure if that was up to date. Either way, I sent an additional message yesterday explaining that I couldn’t complete the order since the necessary pieces for me to work weren’t delivered, but it hasn’t got a reply yet. Thankfully, the timer had 17 days, so I can afford to be patient, but it’s still worrying.

According to many forum posts, support can take up to ten days or even more to reply. I have faster support due to my level and usually got a reply within few hours but the last one took longer too, may have even been next day, I don’t remember.
I think that announced response time just still says whatever it said before Covid.

Archived