Clients should be told what does what!

Hello, I am Hugo and I am 34 years old from Canada. I want to share my experience with other sellers!
So I have this client who asks me to proofread her document. The document is majority quoted from the Bible without any quotation marks… There is no accentuation, and some sentences make no sense at all. So I fix all of that, which is 12k words, I only asked 40$ for the whole thing… I also offered one revision. So I delivered the job and one day after, the client ask for a couple lines for revision. Those were lines on which I have spent 45 minutes, trying in vein to understand some meaning from it but could not. So she asked me to put it back to her first original form, which makes no sense… I am French, it is my first language… I know what I am doing. If I tell her, the sentence makes no sense, trust me it makes no sense… But since she is the client… there is no much I can do about it. Then she asked for more advices. So, I told her that I am not a critic nor a beta reader, but that paragraphs should be justified, spacing 1,5 or double for easier reading and centered paragraph, which I have already done for her… But it is never enough… She acts like she wants me to teach her how to write a book for 40$ USD… I am rated 5 stars, but I really feel that she will end this streak even if I have done more than my best on her project… So, my point is that, I think the clients should have to watch a little tutorial that tells them, what is proofreading, what is beta reading… so then they do not except us to do magic tricks for a handful of peanuts! Please I want your opinion on this!

I would advice to set your boundaries straight, and kindly refuse to help when it’s out of your responsibilites

Thanks, I kind of did by telling her I am neither a critic or a beta reader. But the rating is making me paranoid! I am top page of French proofreading, 1 bad rating and I feel like it is over. I also refuse all the students essay jobs, because I feel like if they get bad marks, they will give me bad rating. So far I do the jobs for building trust, and rating, not for the money. But, maybe charging too cheap kinda attract those harder to deal with clients!

if she gives me 1 star rating, I got to quit fiverr… Thats what makes me having a hard time to think straight!

I would say risk it mate, that’s a part of having a business. And yes I feel that when I charged less clients wanted more 😉

I wouldn’t be discouraged by the possibility of a bad rating. Oftentimes, no matter how hard we try out best, it’s not really a matter of if you’ll get that negative rating, but when. You can’t please everyone, and some buyers can be incredibly unreasonable, or just difficult to work with despite our best. Being that you have a good streak, I wouldn’t worry. A 1 star in a sea of 5 stars really shouldn’t deter your customer base.

Guest lloydsolutions

Thanks, I kind of did by telling her I am neither a critic or a beta reader. But the rating is making me paranoid! I am top page of French proofreading, 1 bad rating and I feel like it is over. I also refuse all the students essay jobs, because I feel like if they get bad marks, they will give me bad rating. So far I do the jobs for building trust, and rating, not for the money. But, maybe charging too cheap kinda attract those harder to deal with clients!

I also refuse all the students essay jobs, because I feel like if they get bad marks, they will give me bad rating.

Helping with academic work is a violation of the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

That should be your reason to refuse.

Guest humanissocial

No tutorial would help that. The problem isn’t that they don’t understand how to be a decent human being. The problem is that they choose not to be. They’re sadistic and exploitative and entitled. No tutorial would undo that.

Sorry you had to deal with this, but your suggestions wouldn’t change a thing. Maybe increasing your rates would. The leaches are the cheap people.

I also refuse all the students essay jobs, because I feel like if they get bad marks, they will give me bad rating.

Helping with academic work is a violation of the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

That should be your reason to refuse.

Did not know that, thanks! Some people are publishing gigs targeting those clients!

Guest lloydsolutions

Did not know that, thanks! Some people are publishing gigs targeting those clients!

Some people are publishing gigs targeting those clients!

Fiverr is removing such gigs.

No tutorial would help that. The problem isn’t that they don’t understand how to be a decent human being. The problem is that they choose not to be. They’re sadistic and exploitative and entitled. No tutorial would undo that.

Sorry you had to deal with this, but your suggestions wouldn’t change a thing. Maybe increasing your rates would. The leaches are the cheap people.

I have met a top seller asking me for free lines to see what I was worthing… I was shocked and surprise to see that. As in anything there is good and bad people, good sellers and bad sellers. I feel like this is what I need to work the most to have great success on fiverr! I refused his offer instantly, it made me upset to be honest… but well again, there is many types of people on the globe right!

Guest lloydsolutions

I can bet you what you want you can find one in the next 5 mins

If you type “academic gig denied” in the search bar above there are several posts on the subject which you may find interesting.

Guest humanissocial

I have met a top seller asking me for free lines to see what I was worthing… I was shocked and surprise to see that. As in anything there is good and bad people, good sellers and bad sellers. I feel like this is what I need to work the most to have great success on fiverr! I refused his offer instantly, it made me upset to be honest… but well again, there is many types of people on the globe right!

There are many great people, yes! The key is to attract them and repel that bad ones. Good for you for saying no.

Here is another situation… The client makes a request, you give your price and he/she answers back that he has to talk to other freelancers to see their prices. I feel like undercuting the price is showing weakness, Am I right thinking that way? You know you will lose that client, but if it leads to my situation above this page, it is better to stay firm!

So same client again, after 2-3 days of waiting, I asked her if there is more I can do to help her and she said! C’est ton travail fais- le! Which means It is your job,and do it… So I told her I have done my job already 3 days ago. that my offer was including 1 revision and that she received it. Then I open my very first dispute!. I just want to the clien the 40$ dollars back that I have worked more than 10 hours to make! What a great experience this was… But I might grow up from it somehow! And I do not want to blame fiverr on that, maybe for some reason there was a misunderstanding somewhere. But it broke my momentum even if it shouldnt…

Guest humanissocial

So same client again, after 2-3 days of waiting, I asked her if there is more I can do to help her and she said! C’est ton travail fais- le! Which means It is your job,and do it… So I told her I have done my job already 3 days ago. that my offer was including 1 revision and that she received it. Then I open my very first dispute!. I just want to the clien the 40$ dollars back that I have worked more than 10 hours to make! What a great experience this was… But I might grow up from it somehow! And I do not want to blame fiverr on that, maybe for some reason there was a misunderstanding somewhere. But it broke my momentum even if it shouldnt…

ust want to the clien the 40$ dollars back that I have worked more than 10 hours to make

If you choose to do that degree of work for that little money, you are only going to attract incompetent people and scammers.

No legitimate buyer would order something that in depth for that little money. They would be suspicious of quality and unwilling to support people who exploit themselves that way.

I have paused my gigs. I need to wind up because I am very mad. I kept being polite but she was mean talking to me like if I was a dog and everything was granted from me! I know that I have had 4 great customers before this one, but it totally broke my momentum. I want to quit fiverr, even if it is not my fault nor the platform’s fault, the results are still that I am p"*** of*!
So, off course, I will not tell the name of the client, but you guys really have to choose them! That one had 2 times 3 stars, it should have rung me a bell! Someone wrote finall. as comment… I should have seen those details before accepting the order. The client was still 5 stars and will still be… Good luck all!

Archived