Sharing e-mail with buyer

roaldfrosig

Hello, I’m new to this forum, so I’m not sure if I chose the right category to post this in.

I’m having a conversation with a buyer, that has been like this:

(buyer): hi, pls send me your gmail address so I can share the excel file to you via gdrive

(me): Hi, I cannot give you my e-mail address as it is against fiverr’s terms of service. You should be able to share excel files via fiverr’s platform, I have recieved exxcel files this way before

(buyer): Hi, as per fiverr’s terms, giving e-mail address is fine as long as it will be used to complete a task. I can’t really share the file here for security purposes.

I’m unsure what to answer. Is the buyer’s interpretation of the ToS correct? And even if it is, is it safe to share my e-mail address? Do any of you have suggestions for what I should answer?

• Like 11

• To protect our users’ privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, ■■■■■/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.
  • Any necessary exchange of personal information required to continue a service may be exchanged within the order page.

The above is from the Terms of Service at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

Make sure to carefully read the Terms of Service as a violation can risk your account.

Enjoy the forum. 🙂

• Like 11

You can also ask customer support, quoting what the buyer told you, and in case they think it’s fine to humour that buyer, well, you’ll have that black on white officially then.
And if they say no, you can quote what support told you (probably that email exchange only when necessary for the gig and that links for file sharing need to be the kind that don’t need an email), then the buyer can be annoyed at support instead of you (of course, in case it’s someone who likes to be annoyed, they’ll be annoyed at both you and support then ;))

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 8

Hello, I’m new to this forum, so I’m not sure if I chose the right category to post this in.

I’m having a conversation with a buyer, that has been like this:

(buyer): hi, pls send me your gmail address so I can share the excel file to you via gdrive

(me): Hi, I cannot give you my e-mail address as it is against fiverr’s terms of service. You should be able to share excel files via fiverr’s platform, I have recieved exxcel files this way before

(buyer): Hi, as per fiverr’s terms, giving e-mail address is fine as long as it will be used to complete a task. I can’t really share the file here for security purposes.

I’m unsure what to answer. Is the buyer’s interpretation of the ToS correct? And even if it is, is it safe to share my e-mail address? Do any of you have suggestions for what I should answer?

I can’t really share the file here for security purposes.

That’s B.S. I don’t know if he has placed an order yet but I hope not. It is not safe to share your email address nor is it needed. Everything has to be done through fiverr.

If he has placed an order you should take a screenshot of what he said about needing to get your email due to it being unsafe to send a file to you, and send it to customer support and ask them to cancel the order based on him being unwilling to comply with fiverr’s TOS.

• Like 7

• 11 months later...
Guest abuguchialuka

In addition to what @lloydsolutions said, as per Terms of Service, all the information and materials exchange must go through Fiverr.

Email addresses don’t seem necessary in this case. The buyer can just send you a Google Drive link. Buyers have shared such links with me before, and didn’t need my email address to do it.

@catwriter

In a case where you need to collaborate on a document with the buyer, wouldn’t you need to be logged into your gmail to work on the document in Google Doc?

@catwriter

In a case where you need to collaborate on a document with the buyer, wouldn’t you need to be logged into your gmail to work on the document in Google Doc?

I don’t offer any service where that kind of collaboration would be necessary.

• Like 5

Guest abuguchialuka

I don’t offer any service where that kind of collaboration would be necessary.

Okay.

Thank you for responding.

I appreciate.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I have a similar question as well. I just bought a service from this platform and found a coder to convert MT4 indicators into pine script coding. I made payment then for the deliverable; he was asking for my email address with password. He said he could only link the output with my email. I'm not comfortable sharing my email password. What should I do next? Please advise.

• Like 5