[solved] What's your experience with asking "street prices"?

viennadesign

it’s basically the online version of an automated cold call

That’s completely untrue. While Facebook Ads would be relatively like cold calling, Google ads is showing an ad to someone who has searched for or shown interest in that service/product which is completely different to cold calling. The same is true of SEO, showing up high in organic search results is extremely effective and moving from page 2 to page 1 or from position 5 to position 1 is likely to transform a business exponentially. Respectfully, for a marketing expert to dismiss SEO and Google Ads (responsible for $80bn in advertising in 2016) is extremely surprising!

keep in mind that even on Fiverr you need to communicate with your customers. So that 50/50 probably doesn’t change that much

As I said in my previous comment, it completely changes and in saying that, you contradict what you said previously about acquisition cost only being paid once.

Anyway, I’m not going to attempt to increase competition on Fiverr by showing you any more reasons to stay here. It has been an interesting discussion though so thanks for that.

Google ads is showing an ad to someone who has searched for or shown interest in that service/product which is completely different to cold calling.

well, yes and no actually. It is of course true that in the google search ads the customer does the first step. But that is only one way of google ads. Others are in-app ads, youtube ads, on-page ads, ads inside of gmail, ect. So a lot of it is based on metrics that need no direct customer activity towards a active need.

equally when you cold call, you don’t just call anyone, you call a target audience that has been vetted to show or have that need, through various metrics of market analysis. So, basically you cold call a lead and hope to turn him/her into a qualified lead.

Google does a similar thing: when you write a mail about ice cream, google metrics say “oh, he mentioned ice cream, he might want ice cream, let’s show him a ice cream ad in his google mail account”.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have thought that value-based pricing is very important for publishing. equally i would have assumed that the network in your case i really key, since it’s hard to get into the big agencies and publishing houses.

The issue is that value-based pricing is very difficult without understanding analytics / audiences etc - which is a whole world I do not want to get into! In terms of getting in with the agencies, it was through building up a good portfolio and going super-niche which really helped there,

it was through building up a good portfolio and going super-niche which really helped there,

that is an awesome strategy 🙂 i highly recommend that to everyone, although it is a lot harder than it sounds. I’m planing on going way more niche in 2018, but find it pretty hard to decide on a area i want to go into. is your niche customer based or topic based? (like for example would you write only about Italian food or only for Italian restaurants - bad example, but you get the idea.)

it was through building up a good portfolio and going super-niche which really helped there,

that is an awesome strategy 🙂 i highly recommend that to everyone, although it is a lot harder than it sounds. I’m planing on going way more niche in 2018, but find it pretty hard to decide on a area i want to go into. is your niche customer based or topic based? (like for example would you write only about Italian food or only for Italian restaurants - bad example, but you get the idea.)

is your niche customer based or topic based?

Very much topic-based - specifically business, finance, and tech. About 60% of my work is tech (SaaS, cloud IT, service management, analytics, business intelligence), 20% is finance (mainly money transfer / currency exchange, payment processing, and ICO / Crypto) and 20% business (Starting a business, running a business etc.)

One thing you’ll notice from that list is they are all pretty “dry” topics, that many people would consider a bit dull. That’s good for those of us who enjoy writing about them, as there’s not as much competition, and because it’s specialzied writing, that transfers into better rates.

ou can have a site admin and a ads agency at your service for that price of 80k all year round.

80K is nothing in the advertising business. And I’m not sure $80k gets you a top admin either.You sure won’t get a years worth of either with any quality at all for 80K.

80K is nothing in the advertising business

i do advertising. most small businesses do not have a 80k budget for ads per yer. they spend maybe a couple of thousand, but mostly below 10k. equally a admin for a small business does some wordpress updates and some small changes, which is another couple for hundred or thousand if there is something bigger to do. so both together is way way below 80k

80K is nothing in the advertising business

i do advertising. most small businesses do not have a 80k budget for ads per yer. they spend maybe a couple of thousand, but mostly below 10k. equally a admin for a small business does some wordpress updates and some small changes, which is another couple for hundred or thousand if there is something bigger to do. so both together is way way below 80k

So you have it all figured out. But you cannot occupy the “I’m small potatoes” and the “But way too big to be here” positions at the same time.

is your niche customer based or topic based?

Very much topic-based - specifically business, finance, and tech. About 60% of my work is tech (SaaS, cloud IT, service management, analytics, business intelligence), 20% is finance (mainly money transfer / currency exchange, payment processing, and ICO / Crypto) and 20% business (Starting a business, running a business etc.)

One thing you’ll notice from that list is they are all pretty “dry” topics, that many people would consider a bit dull. That’s good for those of us who enjoy writing about them, as there’s not as much competition, and because it’s specialzied writing, that transfers into better rates.

Very much topic-based - specifically business, finance, and tech.

Interesting. thank you again. i guess that also makes it more of a area where companies have enough money to pay well, because i assume there texts are aiming at big deciders in big companies, rather than small businesses.

Very much topic-based - specifically business, finance, and tech.

Interesting. thank you again. i guess that also makes it more of a area where companies have enough money to pay well, because i assume there texts are aiming at big deciders in big companies, rather than small businesses.

aiming at big deciders in big companies, rather than small businesses.

About half and half really - I only have a couple of “household names” I have written for. Most of the larger clients come through marketing agencies, and the smaller clients come direct. Although the current white paper I am working on is for one of the top three software companies in the world (via an intermediary) and came through Fiverr… (Not coincidentally, it is also the highest-priced custom offer I have sent out - but that was due to length / complexity, not the size of the client).

So you have it all figured out. But you cannot occupy the “I’m small potatoes” and the “But way too big to be here” positions at the same time.

So you have it all figured out.

Me? Lol, no! I tell you what i do for a living and what my customers need. Based on Forbes.com the average small business has a revenue per year of well below 100k - so there is no way they are spending anything near 80k on their website and ads.

So you have it all figured out.

Me? Lol, no! I tell you what i do for a living and what my customers need. Based on Forbes.com the average small business has a revenue per year of well below 100k - so there is no way they are spending anything near 80k on their website and ads.

so there is no way they are spending anything near 80k on their website and ads.

Agree. I did not address what the average small business spends. I corrected your premise that anyone can do a good job of advertising or hire a competent admin for those prices, let alone do both for a full year.

aiming at big deciders in big companies, rather than small businesses.

About half and half really - I only have a couple of “household names” I have written for. Most of the larger clients come through marketing agencies, and the smaller clients come direct. Although the current white paper I am working on is for one of the top three software companies in the world (via an intermediary) and came through Fiverr… (Not coincidentally, it is also the highest-priced custom offer I have sent out - but that was due to length / complexity, not the size of the client).

I am working on is for one of the top three software companies in the world (via an intermediary) and came through Fiverr…

And it doesn’t bug you that you can’t contact them privately? wow, that takes, and i don’t really have a better word for that: huge balls. I wouldn’t want to risk that without having the chance to call them directly. kudos!

I am working on is for one of the top three software companies in the world (via an intermediary) and came through Fiverr…

And it doesn’t bug you that you can’t contact them privately? wow, that takes, and i don’t really have a better word for that: huge balls. I wouldn’t want to risk that without having the chance to call them directly. kudos!

In my business, the folks who make millions a year never speak to the client directly. Al handled by an agent. Again, by trying to show what a pro you are, you are revealing your inexperience.

What qualifies as a small business:

“The definition of small business is dependent on which industry code a company is in,” said Molly Gimmel, owner of Design to Delivery, a Maryland-based consulting firm that navigates businesses through the government procurement process and tries to help them win and manage government contracts.

Definitions for each code can be found on the SBA’s website.

“My company’s primary code is 541611,” Gimmel told BusinessNewsDaily. “In that industry, a small business is defined as one whose average revenues — based on the last three completed fiscal years — is less than $7 million.”

from BusinessNewsDaily.com

so there is no way they are spending anything near 80k on their website and ads.

Agree. I did not address what the average small business spends. I corrected your premise that anyone can do a good job of advertising or hire a competent admin for those prices, let alone do both for a full year.

I corrected your premise that anyone can do a good job of advertising or hire a competent admin for those prices, let alone do both for a full year.

Let’s agree that the cost per year depends on what the customer needs. Most small businesses i handle are 1-2 man stores that sell shoes or carpets or stuff like that. Their webpages are wordpress with some seo and some pictures. So, not a 80k job at all.

What qualifies as a small business:

“The definition of small business is dependent on which industry code a company is in,” said Molly Gimmel, owner of Design to Delivery, a Maryland-based consulting firm that navigates businesses through the government procurement process and tries to help them win and manage government contracts.

Definitions for each code can be found on the SBA’s website.

“My company’s primary code is 541611,” Gimmel told BusinessNewsDaily. “In that industry, a small business is defined as one whose average revenues — based on the last three completed fiscal years — is less than $7 million.”

from BusinessNewsDaily.com

In that industry

That is the most important part. If you are in a billion dollar industry where most players make 700 million or more, 7 million is small. but that is not how “small business” is defined on the average. "Small businesses in many countries include service or retail operations such as convenience stores, small grocery stores, bakeries or delicatessens, hairdressers or tradespeople (e.g., carpenters, electricians), restaurants, guest houses, photographers, very small-scale manufacturing, and Internet-related businesses such as web design and computer programming. " THAT is the definition of a “small business” - not at 7 million per year company among giants

I feel so bad for people who spend maybe $1000 of their meager savings on something like facebook ads and expect to make a profit. I’ve seen this happen.

I feel so bad for people who spend maybe $1000 of their meager savings on something like facebook ads

If they don’t know what they are doing, i feel bad for them too. It’s important to get the know-how beforehand. You wouldn’t climb a mountain face without a guide either… unless they want to kill themself or in case of marketing their business. But a lot of people do it anyways and kill their own business within the first 1-3 years

Nope. They found me through Fiverr, so would never go outside the platform. I hope to get future work. That’s fine by me.

Just to clarify to others what I meant in my other reply, which is now about a mile up the page:

I am not saying that Fiverr is a bad site, or that it cannot be used to make a full-time living. I’d be a hypocrite if I said that. Almost all of my income comes from this site.

What I was trying to say, is that it is generally better to have your own business foundation. Fiverr is great, but it can be rather unsteady, depending on everything I have heard from these forums as well as my experience of gigs being rejected, accounts being banned, etc. While you can easily make a living here with a little elbow grease, it’s good to have a place where you are in 100% control of your finances and who you market to in order to see your services.

There is nothing wrong with Fiverr, or any other freelancing gig places, but it is good to use it as a launching platform.

As ViennaDesign states, it is probably better to put 20% of your income into ads instead of putting 20% into Fiverr (although they do it for ads too), simply because you can then seem more legitimate to a wider swath of clients. Maybe it is just me, but I think “here is my website where you can request my services” sounds better than “here is my Fiverr link”

Again, there is nothing wrong with Fiverr, but I think it would probably be better to use Fiverr as a way of getting experience in order to launch your own independent business than to stick with Fiverr and possibly become part of their blacklisted accounts due to algorithm changes.

I have a gig that is no longer listed in the search results despite once being my best selling gig, and Fiverr says they will no longer put it in the search results despite it still existing and people can still order from it. If I had my own site that I marketed myself, that would not be an issue. I have full control of my business.

But like I said, there is nothing wrong with Fiverr, it is a great site to earn a living on. But it should probably not be your main business headquarters for life.

I guess in short, I am saying

1. Don’t put all of your eggs in one Fiverr basket

and

1. Maybe consider working to expand your business and take full control of it, even if you still use Fiverr on the side.

EDIT: Holy crap, I did not mean for this reply to become a book. I guess I ramble too much…

Just to clarify to others what I meant in my other reply, which is now about a mile up the page:

I am not saying that Fiverr is a bad site, or that it cannot be used to make a full-time living. I’d be a hypocrite if I said that. Almost all of my income comes from this site.

What I was trying to say, is that it is generally better to have your own business foundation. Fiverr is great, but it can be rather unsteady, depending on everything I have heard from these forums as well as my experience of gigs being rejected, accounts being banned, etc. While you can easily make a living here with a little elbow grease, it’s good to have a place where you are in 100% control of your finances and who you market to in order to see your services.

There is nothing wrong with Fiverr, or any other freelancing gig places, but it is good to use it as a launching platform.

As ViennaDesign states, it is probably better to put 20% of your income into ads instead of putting 20% into Fiverr (although they do it for ads too), simply because you can then seem more legitimate to a wider swath of clients. Maybe it is just me, but I think “here is my website where you can request my services” sounds better than “here is my Fiverr link”

Again, there is nothing wrong with Fiverr, but I think it would probably be better to use Fiverr as a way of getting experience in order to launch your own independent business than to stick with Fiverr and possibly become part of their blacklisted accounts due to algorithm changes.

I have a gig that is no longer listed in the search results despite once being my best selling gig, and Fiverr says they will no longer put it in the search results despite it still existing and people can still order from it. If I had my own site that I marketed myself, that would not be an issue. I have full control of my business.

But like I said, there is nothing wrong with Fiverr, it is a great site to earn a living on. But it should probably not be your main business headquarters for life.

I guess in short, I am saying

1. Don’t put all of your eggs in one Fiverr basket

and

1. Maybe consider working to expand your business and take full control of it, even if you still use Fiverr on the side.

EDIT: Holy crap, I did not mean for this reply to become a book. I guess I ramble too much…

have a gig that is no longer listed in the search results despite once being my best selling gig, and Fiverr says they will no longer put it in the search results despite it still existing and people can still order from it. If I had my own site that I marketed myself, that would not be an issue. I have full control of my business.

That and also Fiverr can close their doors when ever they like. Remember Vine? One of the biggest, most beloved, viral video pages on the planet? It was bought by Twitter - then, a bit later Twitter decided it doesn’t like the big attention Vine get’s over Twitter - so they closed it down. Millions of followers gone i a second. Vine Stars dead in the water. Huge incomes through endorsement eradicated just like that.

The Vine Stars that survived are the once who build their community not just on vine, but also on other pages and even their own pages and merch stores. Risk Management. The more legs your chair has, the harder it is to cut them all.

I completely support these last two posts - although I love Fiverr, and have no issue paying the commission, I believe having diverse revenue streams as a freelancer is essential. Fiverr is best as part of the work mix as a freelancer, and it’s a great way to get exposure. But, it would make me nervous if it were my only form of income.

It’s not that unusual for successful Amercican entrepreneurs I assure you.

I’ve done this for many years. Fiverr makes it so easy. No more problems with websites, payment processors, seo, all of that. I love what I do.

There are so many good points in this thread (and a few points gone astray) so I thought I’d chime in on a few. After reading the majority of the thread after it happened in real-time, I think all of these are important:

I’ve done this for many years. Fiverr makes it so easy. No more problems with websites, payment processors, seo, all of that. I love what I do.

That and also Fiverr can close their doors when ever they like. Remember Vine? One of the biggest, most beloved, viral video pages on the planet? It was bought by Twitter - then, a bit later Twitter decided it doesn’t like the big attention Vine get’s over Twitter - so they closed it down.

although I love Fiverr, and have no issue paying the commission, I believe having diverse revenue streams as a freelancer is essential. Fiverr is best as part of the work mix as a freelancer, and it’s a great way to get exposure. But, it would make me nervous if it were my only form of income.

I think that there are a ton of people who use Fiverr daily to work full time and make anywhere from a few hundred a month (full-time pay in some countries) to six figures a year. Like @misscrystal, many of them are perfectly happy with Fiverr because it covers so many bases and is totally free - you only pay commission if you make money - period. When you market on your own, you pay whether the marketing is successful or not. You also have web site fees, payment portal fees, etc. In my own off-Fiverr businesses, I hire people on Fiverr to help me with some of the things I can’t do or don’t want to do. It’s the cost of doing business and sometimes it’s a loss.

That all said, @lucycodex and @paulmaplesden have a seriously good point when it comes to where you put your eggs. I’ve seen some of the full-timers on Fiverr discussing their business in off-forum or private discussions. Some of them are really nervous about various changes that have happened or will happen. They are right to be concerned if they didn’t build alternate sources of income or save for a long dry spell.

I do both - I save a portion of all my Fiverr and other income and at one time I had enough to live for six months without income. With that savings I didn’t have to have alternate sources if I didn’t want to or couldn’t, but I also had a B, C and D for what I would do over six months if I lost my income sources. Right now my savings is depleted because I chose to spend it for now, but I only did so when I had a solid backup source of income for immediate purposes and my goal now is to rebuild my savings.

This isn’t something that only applies to Fiverr, though. This applies to anyone self-employed and those employed in any job that can go out the window. As @viennadesign mentioned, any successful business can go down in an instant. People have proven that Fiverr can be used to make a full-time income or more, though it takes time and effort like anything else. I doubt that the majority of Fiverr’s user base does make full-time wages because a large percentage of the user base is made up of beginner sellers or those lacking the skills they claim to have.

The ones who are successful are the ones who get exactly of of Fiverr what they want to get out of Fiverr. I’m happy right now making a portion of my living freelancing at home in my pajamas and not out handing out flyers or calling a CPA. Not everyone is happy doing that. There are very few comments in this thread that are just wrong, it’s just a variety of opinions. Interesting read! Good luck to all.

There are so many good points in this thread (and a few points gone astray) so I thought I’d chime in on a few. After reading the majority of the thread after it happened in real-time, I think all of these are important:

That and also Fiverr can close their doors when ever they like. Remember Vine? One of the biggest, most beloved, viral video pages on the planet? It was bought by Twitter - then, a bit later Twitter decided it doesn’t like the big attention Vine get’s over Twitter - so they closed it down.

although I love Fiverr, and have no issue paying the commission, I believe having diverse revenue streams as a freelancer is essential. Fiverr is best as part of the work mix as a freelancer, and it’s a great way to get exposure. But, it would make me nervous if it were my only form of income.

I think that there are a ton of people who use Fiverr daily to work full time and make anywhere from a few hundred a month (full-time pay in some countries) to six figures a year. Like @misscrystal, many of them are perfectly happy with Fiverr because it covers so many bases and is totally free - you only pay commission if you make money - period. When you market on your own, you pay whether the marketing is successful or not. You also have web site fees, payment portal fees, etc. In my own off-Fiverr businesses, I hire people on Fiverr to help me with some of the things I can’t do or don’t want to do. It’s the cost of doing business and sometimes it’s a loss.

That all said, @lucycodex and @paulmaplesden have a seriously good point when it comes to where you put your eggs. I’ve seen some of the full-timers on Fiverr discussing their business in off-forum or private discussions. Some of them are really nervous about various changes that have happened or will happen. They are right to be concerned if they didn’t build alternate sources of income or save for a long dry spell.

I do both - I save a portion of all my Fiverr and other income and at one time I had enough to live for six months without income. With that savings I didn’t have to have alternate sources if I didn’t want to or couldn’t, but I also had a B, C and D for what I would do over six months if I lost my income sources. Right now my savings is depleted because I chose to spend it for now, but I only did so when I had a solid backup source of income for immediate purposes and my goal now is to rebuild my savings.

This isn’t something that only applies to Fiverr, though. This applies to anyone self-employed and those employed in any job that can go out the window. As @viennadesign mentioned, any successful business can go down in an instant. People have proven that Fiverr can be used to make a full-time income or more, though it takes time and effort like anything else. I doubt that the majority of Fiverr’s user base does make full-time wages because a large percentage of the user base is made up of beginner sellers or those lacking the skills they claim to have.

The ones who are successful are the ones who get exactly of of Fiverr what they want to get out of Fiverr. I’m happy right now making a portion of my living freelancing at home in my pajamas and not out handing out flyers or calling a CPA. Not everyone is happy doing that. There are very few comments in this thread that are just wrong, it’s just a variety of opinions. Interesting read! Good luck to all.

I had enough to live for six months

This is so important. Whenever I advise other freelancers on how to reduce stress, one of the first things I recommend is having six months of expenses squirreled away.

I’d also like to add that this is one of the best threads I have been involved in - good points being made on all sides, civil discourse, and open-mindendness. That’s one of the other things about Fiverr - the community is mostly awesome!

One thing i would add to @fonthaunt post is to put aside money you can invest in further education. A steady education is paramount to staying on top and being a leading figure in your niche. If your budget is low things like online lectures and ebooks or audiobooks are great. If your budget is higher it’s worth investing in mentors and live lectures. If you are lucky enough to be in a big city you also have tons of events where achieved entrepreneurs speak for free or for an ok ticket price.

Bonus tip: search youtube for speeches of achieved entrepreneurs. They often tell you amazing things you wouldn’t find any other way. I even use these in my lectures for my students, because often they are really good and down to the point.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for being part of this amazing conversation. I learned a ton, got some new ideas and insights, and some really interesting arguments too.

Considering the all in all, an specifically that i don’t pay until anything comes my way, i guess it doesn’t hurt to put my portfolio on here and see what happens. After all, and as many pointed out, it’s always good to diversify. 90% of success is just showing up, as they say 🙂

so, thx again for all the insight and for taking the time ❤️

Archived