We NEED to block buyers

salidarvuelta

I’m asking this for for years. This would be one of the best improvements here.

Indeed, some buyers don’t get it at all.

I have to think on the one to whom I explained that seen the conversation I’m not willing to do any job for him, no matter how much he is willing to pay. We just weren’t a good match.
His reply was: so when will you send me your custom offer, so we can start the project?

I’m asking this for for years. This would be one of the best improvements here.

Indeed, some buyers don’t get it at all.

I have to think on the one to whom I explained that seen the conversation I’m not willing to do any job for him, no matter how much he is willing to pay. We just weren’t a good match.

His reply was: so when will you send me your custom offer, so we can start the project?

That makes them want it more, when you refuse. They also pay zero attention to anything you say.

That makes them want it more, when you refuse. They also pay zero attention to anything you say.

Yes, rejection creates obsession.

If you want to make use of it to your advantage, it works all the time. To little sellers see that.

It’s mandatory.

There are some buyers that simply don’t get it. We need a tool to get rid of them and to prevent them from purchasing our gigs or contacting us.

Please. PLEASE. I’m willing to PAY for this feature.

There are some buyers that simply don’t get it. We need a tool to get rid of them and to prevent them from purchasing our gigs or contacting us.

Right on!

Especially sellers who have a track record and a reasonably low cancellation rate.

I’ve had people who didn’t want to pay for what they are asking, ordering one thing, but sending specs/scripts for things WAY outside the price of the gig they ordered.

I cancel on them, they order again a week later.

My cancellation rate is around 3% over 3000+ gigs. There are a few buyers who I won’t work with anymore, but they try to order occasionally. (I had one guy send me the same order via different accounts… )

Thankfully I don’t have many of those problem buyers. Most of my repeat buyers are wonderful.

I’ve wondering if CS does anything when someone orders again and again after we tell them we won’t work with them?

Hearing of this buyer abuse experience from established sellers here makes me feel like I don’t stand a chance in Fiverr. I’m a new seller here, after months of not getting orders I finally made a breakthrough and things were looking up. My clients were happy and left fantastic reviews. Then it happened… a 4 star rating from a new buyer which just reduced my overrall rating to 98%. The buyer actually said he liked my work and thinks that I’m an excellent designer blah blah but still left 4 stars for all, communication etc. It just does not make sense, gave no opportunity to me to remedy even. When I asked if there was a problem… the buyer said, no problems just it was not perfect but its ok… What?? sigh Now I am worried he will order again and just keep leaving low ratings just because he feels like it. They don’t understand how Fiver works that reputation really matters here. I still left him a 5 star review as I did not want to indulge in a tit-for-tat loop with buyers generally… in the end I know, I will be the one to suffer. Sadly, there is no option to block future orders from this buyer… so I guess, I will be at their mercy. 😦
I second the motion to block buyers when needed, to afford some protection to Sellers.

Hearing of this buyer abuse experience from established sellers here makes me feel like I don’t stand a chance in Fiverr. I’m a new seller here, after months of not getting orders I finally made a breakthrough and things were looking up. My clients were happy and left fantastic reviews. Then it happened… a 4 star rating from a new buyer which just reduced my overrall rating to 98%. The buyer actually said he liked my work and thinks that I’m an excellent designer blah blah but still left 4 stars for all, communication etc. It just does not make sense, gave no opportunity to me to remedy even. When I asked if there was a problem… the buyer said, no problems just it was not perfect but its ok… What?? sigh Now I am worried he will order again and just keep leaving low ratings just because he feels like it. They don’t understand how Fiver works that reputation really matters here. I still left him a 5 star review as I did not want to indulge in a tit-for-tat loop with buyers generally… in the end I know, I will be the one to suffer. Sadly, there is no option to block future orders from this buyer… so I guess, I will be at their mercy. 😦

I second the motion to block buyers when needed, to afford some protection to Sellers.

Hey there

Thank you for sharing your story.

What I would advice is the following:

a) Explain that you are new in fiverr and you have only a few feedback and a bad one affects you a lot and he/she may feel ok to change it to 5 stars.

b) If (a) do not work it is ok. Don’t be sad. It will not hold you as back as you may think it will.

Keep up doing good work and don’t let minor situations hold you back.

Hey there

Thank you for sharing your story.

What I would advice is the following:

a) Explain that you are new in fiverr and you have only a few feedback and a bad one affects you a lot and he/she may feel ok to change it to 5 stars.

b) If (a) do not work it is ok. Don’t be sad. It will not hold you as back as you may think it will.

Keep up doing good work and don’t let minor situations hold you back.

Thank you @aggelosmariospa for your encouragement and inspiring advice. I did try (a), short of telling the buyer specifically to change the rating to 5 stars and it did not work. Can’t be too demanding, in a delicate situation so I just let it be. I want to believe that it will not affect other buyer’s perspective and I will continue to persevere and hope for the best.

I read somewhere (google) that if a gig is deleted, all reviews including bad reviews will be removed as well, is it true?

Thank you @aggelosmariospa for your encouragement and inspiring advice. I did try (a), short of telling the buyer specifically to change the rating to 5 stars and it did not work. Can’t be too demanding, in a delicate situation so I just let it be. I want to believe that it will not affect other buyer’s perspective and I will continue to persevere and hope for the best.

I read somewhere (google) that if a gig is deleted, all reviews including bad reviews will be removed as well, is it true?

I do not think this is true. I believe for that you should better contact customer support…

Problematic buyers are the worst part of any selling experience. We’ve all been on the other side of the “counter” and we know what is to treat businesses and employees with respect. We also know what it feels like to be subjected to unfair tirades, unreasonable actions/ requests and temper tantrums.

That’s why I let my lawyer, Swifty Barrowitz, deal with escalated issues. For those of you that know of me (fiverr forum famous in the house!) you know all about Swifty. He’s the second most famous lawyer in the Tri- City Tennessee area and the Intercontinental House of Ham - Ham eating contest winner for three solid years. Swifty comes from an eclectic, New York, Jewish background and he suffers no fools.

Recently I had a buyer purchase my minimum sales package. He denied delivery on the basis of it not containing items only purchasable through my premium offerings. Once I established that reason wasn’t in this buyer’s cooking ingredients - I simply had to relay a story of a similar buying situation involving The Seatle Great Wheel, Roy Orbison and one Mr. Swifty Barrowitz…It went like this…(insert wavy lined dream sequence here):

Hello Gimpy Simplebuyer (name has been changed to protect possible criminal charges)-

The air is distressed tonight. The fog is hanging low enough to break the outer realm of my studio window… I can feel it’s hefty weight pressing in through the walls …and with a sick enough sense… you can almost hear it moaning, longing to suffocate the oxygen from my dark den of supposed creativity. Jumping Dictators on a Pogo stick! Who can work with this cheerless pursuit of bloodletting drifting through the ether?

Anyhoo, I received your sick headed delivery demands. This is the last time I do business with any graduate of “Vlad The Impaler’s School For Consumers.” If you do not discontinue your badgering of me, I will be forced to turn you over to my entertainment lawyer Swifty Barrowitz. Swifty is, of course, a former private investigator, ex marine, morose card hound and a lifetime card holder of the carny union (member number not available).

Or perhaps you should ask the last prospective buyer, Mr. Farfromthinkin, who attempted this torment… if you can find him. See, Chip - do you mind if I call you Chip- Swifty direct messaged this pestering bag of internet toughness himself. Only… he didn’t say it was Swifty. In this case, Swifty was posing as a sweepstakes company. Through the help of some deep webbed individuals and Swifty’s own knowledge of “acquiring information” Swifty gained possession of this buyer’s personal information via a sweepstakes ticket.

The man instantly remembered writing his name on the card at his local grocery store. Swifty even sweet talked the manager of the grocery, claiming to be “loss prevention” and had them send secret camera footage of the buyer on the day he placed his information in the hopes of winning an all expenses paid trip to a “reputable vacation destination.”

A call was made. Ticket information given. Hotel accommodations… And, as the final prize in a regular amusement arcade of goodness, Swifty informed the buyer that he would receive $10,000 dollars at the top of the “Seattle Great Wheel” at nine pm sharp.

The park was especially empty as the night wore down. The buyer was rested… feet throbbing from the long lines, but an otherwise great evening was closing in. The dark had brought a chill and passersby zipped their sweatsuits and lurked behind their hoods. There was no line to greet as the dumb heathen inched closer to the great Ferris wheel. It was a magnificent construction. Beams of it’s pale, 175 foot frame splashed against the water that the ride overlooked.

A ride attendant stood solemnly at the controls. He was covered by a sweatsuit jacket and the wind made swishing noises as it bounced off his crooked frame. The buyer could barely make out his face from under the hood as the attendant offered, “We’ve been waiting Mr. Farfromthinkin.”

He waved his hand toward the open gate where the ride sat motionless. Farfromthinkin got into a jotty little gondola and exhaled a sigh… he had finally been treated like the king he was… The ride began slowly. The cranking of wheels and gears sang into the waters and the cart swayed ever so slightly. Farfromthinkin could almost see above the remaining park goers head’s as he noticed something odd.

They had all stopped moving. Each in a sweatsuit. Each with a hood attached. Each not moving at all.

Unease started to wash over him as he slowly made his way to the top. Suddenly his phone rang.

“Yes?” He said… unsure of anything at all.

“This is Swifty Barrowitz, Lawyer of Mooch… he doesn’t know it Farfromthinkin, but I’ve come to give you your prize. You want it? It’s this…You don’t know a Mooch. You’ve never heard of Mooch. You’ll never speak of Mooch again…”

Directly below Farfromthinkin could see a burly, well dressed man talking on his phone. He knew it was the voice on the other end. He continued, “You like Roy Orbison, Farfromthinkin?”

“Kinda…” Squeaked a frightened voice.

“Kinda. Well, I kinda like him too. He’s got this song. It’s called the comedy…or the comic or something. I want to sing it to you. Would you like to hear a song, Farfromthinkin?”

“Um… yea, yes…sir.” A dark trauma had set in now.

"Ahem…

I can hardly hear the music from the carousel

The wind picks up, the carriage starts to sway

As one by one the lights go out

It’s closing time

I see you take his hand and walk away walk away…

And I’m up while the dawn is breaking

Even though my heart is aching

I should be drinking a toast

To absent friends

Instead of these comedians…"

Farfromthinkin was a frozen cone of fear…but he managed to peep out, “Sir…isn’t that an Elvis Costello song?”

“Not anymore man…Not anymore…”

With that, the hooded sweatsuit wearers began shutting down every booth. One by one, the lights went out. And there, perched in the darkness in a swaying gondola of The Great Wheel in Seattle sat Farfromthinkin. I never heard from him again."

So… if ever you need my help, or the help of my lawyer, just feel free to contact me. Because, let’s face it, who doesn’t dig some Roy Orbison…

Momma said there’d be days like these. There’d be days like these Momma said.

Ya’ pays ya’ money and ya’ takes ya’ chances.

Success to you all and greetings from Cancun.

Momma said there’d be days like these. There’d be days like these Momma said.

Ya’ pays ya’ money and ya’ takes ya’ chances.

Success to you all and greetings from Cancun.

Ya know… I really went for the gusto on that last tirade. It may be my forum masterpiece. Which begs two questions:

1. What kind of person says forum masterpiece?

and

2. Am I really understanding this whole time management thing?

Ya know… I really went for the gusto on that last tirade. It may be my forum masterpiece. Which begs two questions:

1. What kind of person says forum masterpiece?

and

2. Am I really understanding this whole time management thing?

I dont know about this but your fingers need a massage after typing all this.

P.S Create an anonymous poll about who read it whole.

My only 4* rating was given by some random woman that showed up, ordered a 5$ gig, got it in like 10 minutes, said it was wonderful, marvelous and gave the 4 stars. When I asked her what was wrong, she said she never gives 5 stars for voiceover work. Then she asked me to produce another custom order for another 5$ gig, wich I obviously refused.

My only 4* rating was given by some random woman that showed up, ordered a 5$ gig, got it in like 10 minutes, said it was wonderful, marvelous and gave the 4 stars. When I asked her what was wrong, she said she never gives 5 stars for voiceover work. Then she asked me to produce another custom order for another 5$ gig, wich I obviously refused.

My first one star review was from a mentally ill woman who lied and said I delivered the order in minutes when I actually delivered in four hours. I had tried to help her by chatting for hours with her and it became apparent she was verbally abusive to everyone she ever was in contact with, then was angry that they avoided her.

Almost every day I remind myself never to try to help people.

I had decided that wow this lady is terribly ill and I never want another order from her when I had been chatting with her, but then forgot about her and she was able to place another order to turn on me as she did on everyone she ever knew. Had there been a block feature she would have been blocked. She set off alarm bells as I learned about how she deals with everyone she meets.

I dont know about this but your fingers need a massage after typing all this.

I’m not interested in who doesn’t read the entirety of the content. I’ll be the first to admit that some of my musings are inappropriately long. In the grand scheme of things, it’s just some forum post. It doesn’t need a vote. I’m here often enough that you can choose to skip passed my ramblings if they don’t float your boat.

On the other hand…boy, am I here a lot. I do a lot of back end reading and dig through old posts whenever some random, yet to be researched by me, topic strikes my fancy. Because I’m here so often - I choose to offer a specifically different tonal approach from the traditionally condensed forum offerings.

I’d hope that the forum mainstays… people that spend a large portion of their day hopping in and out of the topics… I hope they view my illogical, never ceasing, head splattering, choose-your-own-adventure narratives as a comedic rest from the barrage of similar topics and retorts.

In the case of this topic, I found it interesting and I agreed. I thought it to be more entertaining if I did so with a story…rather than a “me too.” Either way, my “take” on the issue doesn’t sway any balance or mean a thing more to the issue.

But you did get a Roy Orbison song out of it.

she said she never gives 5 stars for voiceover work

I had a similar instance with a customer that said, "revisions equate to lower stars."

That’s a fine standard to have…if you’ve come to believe that working harder is somehow lesser than, but the weird catch to this gig was his revision. He wanted the volume on his custom song louder. He liked the song, I nailed every detail that he was after and he raved about the quality. The song was mastered to be as loud as any radio material … but different people produce to different volumes.

What I’m saying is, I got a four star rating because the buyer didn’t turn up his speakers.

That happened.

she said she never gives 5 stars for voiceover work

I had a similar instance with a customer that said, "revisions equate to lower stars."

That’s a fine standard to have…if you’ve come to believe that working harder is somehow lesser than, but the weird catch to this gig was his revision. He wanted the volume on his custom song louder. He liked the song, I nailed every detail that he was after and he raved about the quality. The song was mastered to be as loud as any radio material … but different people produce to different volumes.

What I’m saying is, I got a four star rating because the buyer didn’t turn up his speakers.

That happened.

Similar experience… seems like rating is a punishment tool for some buyers. In my case, I sent mockups within a few hours of the order for his feedback because I did not want to take any chances on not getting it right. He gave his feedback, I made changes accordingly and delivered just before the 24 hour deadline. He accepted the delivery and did not ask for a revision and just punished me with 4* rating. When I asked why did I get 4*? was there a problem with the files… his reply was " its important for you to understand that the rating does not mean there is a problem, its just not perfect but its ok" I don’t get it, why not just ask for a revision to make it perfect, he had no trouble asking for revisions in the previous order and I would have done it gladly. Let’s face it, ratings/reviews is just an easy way to punish sellers, but that’s always the case in any marketplace where you have to deal with customers. Yes, customer is always right, yes… seller must succumb (for reputation sake), buyer’s gets a freebie or store credit etc, rinse and repeat. It’s just the way it is (unless of course you have Swifty on speed dial) Unfortunately, there is no comeback for a bad review, your ratings take a dive and it stays forever. That is why its so important to block some users, especially when there is harrasment and bullying… Really wish Fiverr protect us sellers too.

The buyer actually said he liked my work and thinks that I’m an excellent designer blah blah but still left 4 stars for all, communication etc.

We all get a few of those. Don’t stress over a 4 star rating. Just keep building and getting mostly 5 stars. Note that having a 4 star rating actually gives you MORE credibility with some buyers. If you’re new and they are all 5 star, many will assume it’s your friends and family ordering. A 4 star is a real buyer.

Move on: Improve your service, refine your deliveries, and keep getting better at what you do. Most of us can continue to improve, no matter how many 5 star orders we have delivered.

If you get 1 or 2 star ratings more than once every few hundred orders, THEN you have a major issue. Also note: If you do enough, you’ll also get a 1 star rating at some point.

Someone will want something for nothing, and you will not do it, and take the one star because you did the work. You’ll get paid and move on. You want to keep those to maybe one in five hundred. If you don’t have a 1 star, you haven’t done enough.

Archived