Is fiverr the wrong place to order a logo?

justmesui

I totally agree 😉 it all depends on requests and budget. I exaggerated a little bit there, but surerly we can agree that good custom logo can’t be designed in 10 minutes or for $4. 🙂 except maybe with some new seller who really needs reviews for start of his career on Fiverr

good custom logo can’t be designed in 10 minutes or for $4

The cost is just whatever the person charges for it. People don’t question 95% off at the department store, they just buy the item in bulk quantities. As far as the time, that depends. It’s possible to have a great idea in under a day. Or even under an hour. It will take longer than that to produce a finished design, but some of the logo designers are selling ideas cheap, not finished products.

You asked me how much I have paid for it, instead of wondering about this practice

Yes, the reason I asked is that if you had, for example, paid $100+ for it then I think the overall experience (not just the product) should be better. It should include some consultation, some over and back etc. For $5-20, IMO, a free-to-use template design with a name added, colors altered and maybe a little customization is good value although in general, I would only use those for a personal blog or something low value.

The reason I did not query the practice is that I know there are many sellers who operate shadily and I also know that the ToS covers what to do if you meet one of these sellers. I cant give better advice than Fiverr themselves do on that.

In order to give advice then I need to know what you are really looking for! You mentioned the seller only had one price, did you look around? There are 50,000 logo design gigs, what made you choose that one? I have recently purchased a logo and it took me a very long time to choose a seller. In the end I found one and was happy with it as they followed my instructions perfectly and created something unique for me. I have since gone off it though and am looking at replacing it. 😃 Getting a logo done is a tough job.

The more Sellers in any given category there are, the more difficult it will be to choose a good Seller.

In reference to:

For $5-20, IMO, a free-to-use template design with a name added, colors altered and maybe a little customization is good value

Let me start by explaining that I really, really dislike template design, to put it mildly. It annoys me. And pricing is subjective. You might well get a full custom design for $5. Maybe it would be extremely hard to find, but it’s certainly possible.

Templates are commonly used in design though. How many people use stock photos? Ad agencies even use them, and sometimes for nothing more than adding a company’s product in the model’s hand. Also, much of web design today is template based. Some web programming is too. There is a commonly used, free-to-download website software (insert whatever industry buzzword is appropriate right now instead of website software) that is very popular, right? I don’t like those options, but plenty of people (and large corporations) use them every day.

“We are professional logo service.”

If that’s a direct quote, the writing would be a red flag for me.

“for this money you will get crap”

Actually I have seen some Sellers indirectly reference that.

Some statements that bother me:

• “priority service” - Sellers can already set a timeframe and offer a set number of revisions, so why mention that?
  • offering to follow your instructions more exactly for more money (?)
  • offering to evaluate your needs for cheap, with the work itself costing a lot more (if it’s in logos, you should get a logo of some kind, not a document that explains what would be good for a logo)

answered the standard questions

Do you mean the Fiverr suggested questions that are used when the Seller doesn’t add any? I would also consider that a red flag, as the Seller should have something they thought of to ask you.

how can I trust a seller

So if you buy something from a store, and you don’t like it, or it breaks, you are suspicious of every item sold in that store? I’m just pointing out that each Seller on Fiverr is (supposed to be) a different person. 🙂

I didn’t ask for a refund!

I didn’t ask for revision!

I didn’t ask for the extras I’ve paid for!

I didn’t critizised the missing communication!

I didn’t rate this work!

I was just about to forget this Gig and set a new order (another seller) to get a new logo.

That list is a disservice to Fiverr Buyers and Sellers alike.

Am also a logo designer on fiverr.First of all,as pointed out by others in this thread,sellers aren’t meant to solicit for reviews for refunds.The seller was wrong on this part. But if the design she provided didn’t satisfy you, you could have asked for a revision to let the seller know your dissatisfaction and to talk things through to know if the seller can actually given you the design you require. Probably,the information you provided might not have been detailed as you thought and the price you were paying wasn’t that high and the seller just thought she could give you a design and you would like it.Not every seller treats orders the same way. Many prioritize the prices. Like me, i treat every order the same way but not every one would be like me, some have alot of orders in queue and would just like to rush through some…And on the part of the information provided, why i said it might not be detailed as you think is because i have had an experience like that…The buyer provided a skeleton info, i used my initiative and designed to the little and puzzled information provided. The buyer didn’t ask for a modification but wanted to cancel, i declined the request, at first i questioned myself, my talent and creativity but when i talked things through with the buyer i found out that the information he provided and what he wanted done didn’t just fit in together. AT the end of the day, i got him what he wanted and left a happy customer…So probably, the fault in the design doesn’t lie solely on the seller…

Archived