Note to sellers - Top tips to selling more on Fiverr (Buyers Perspective)

hmbespoke

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are great tips and I get your frustration, but the sad truth is that those sellers will not read these tips. Every now and then I purchase logos myself and I don’t bother to use buyer requests section anymore. It’s less time consuming to use the search.

Just recently we had a thread here where newbies were asking for templates. Pretty much all the experienced sellers said that you shouldn’t use a boilerplate template, however, a few days later newbies started to post in the same thread questions like where can they get a decent template. 😒

That being said, I’m sure there will be few who will follow these tips and discover a gold mine 🙂

That being said, I’m sure there will be few who will follow these tips and discover a gold mine 🙂

Actually I have followed these type of methods, before reading this thread. But sadly not even a single response came from a buyer. I have been in Fiverr about a month, I am really stressed and depressed. 😞

Hey guys,

This may have been covered by someone else, however here is the perspective of a new user (buyer) to the site. Here is my experience from using Fiverr and there are some simple things sellers can do to get attention and ultimately sell more.

I work in Marketing and am pretty great at it, but really rubbish at design. I was on the hunt for a logo on Fiverr and I really love the concept of bringing global buyers and sellers together. I posted my job and added an attachment of what I was after using the graphic tool I am expert at MS Paint (haha).

BIG BIG DISAPPOINTMENT

Within a few hours of my job going live, I had 30+ offers from designers and that’s exactly what I wanted. However, 99% of the sellers who contacted me were making a huge mistake. They were thinking like DESIGNERS, not MARKETEERS (yes, you read right). I got loads of messages from three types of sellers and I expect Fiverr lets you (the seller) create a bog standard blurb which you just send when new jobs appear. It is the same as uploading your C.V. on a jobsite and creating a standard cover letter…you probably won’t get hired (along with the thousands of people who applied for the same job in the same manner). The three types of sellers are:

Jargon Overkillers

I will give you a 2D or 3D LOGO design, providing the file in png. for print ready, jpg format and include multiple revisions, Free Editable and Source file, I am highly experienced in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Flash lnDesign, Corel Draw, Text Design Pro.

Flag Flyers

I am a Level 2 seller and have been in the industry for 4 years. Here is a list of my service 1- 2 High-Quality Initial Concepts 2- JPG/PNG & 3D Mockup delivery 3- 300dpi res. 4- 24 Hour Delivery 5- Source File & Vector Files 6- Transparency 7- Revisions 8- Favicon 9- Stationary 10- Social Media Kit and much more.

Make no effort sellers

Hi I can design a nice thing for you, or See my profile for my work

The main thing these sellers miss is, WHAT DOES THE BUYER want? As a buyer, I spend about 5 seconds (literally) on each seller’s message. I’m not interested in the content that the three types of sellers above have to say, or at least not at this stage of the buying process. With 5 seconds in the shop window, you want to use that time to stand out and be seen through the crowd of designers.

WHAT GIGS DID I LOOK AT? (Do these things from today - please)

Of the 38 messages that came to me, I only spent time looking at 2. Why?

1. They addressed me by my name, meaning they took the time to look at my message and attend to the small details
  2. They didn’t talk about their experience, vectors, Indesign or other design mumbo jumbo. They mentioned the name of my project (small details), they mentioned they had seen my attachment.
  3. They very briefly talked about my idea (BINGO) and addressed some of the pointsI raised. It might have been a single line but that shows interest, attention to detail (again) and crucially THEY PUT THEMSELVES IN MY SHOES.

These were the Personal Touch Sellers

Once you have my attention, now you can tell me about the many many years you worked in design and vector files, now you can put on your designer hat.

Another important factor in the buying decision that is overlooked is

1. Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation - Very important

I appreciate this is a global site, hence there are a lot of people who’s first language is not English. However, the cool thing about the arts (music, design & dance) is they are universal and transcend language barriers. However, language is still key to getting the job to showcase your universal design language. Bad spelling and grammar is also a turnoff, I need to know that we will be able to communicate clearly. However, if you are not a natively English speaker (and I 'm not), there is a really cool tool to help you. GRAMMARLY, a free online tool that Instantly checks and correct grammatical, spelling, and punctuation mistakes. Simply download the extension and it runs in the background, correcting any errors in your email, chats, Facebook, Instagram or Fiverr posts.

These are very simple steps and granted it means you spend a bit more time sending out job request, but you are focusing on quality over quantity. Note how my initial decision to consider a seller is not price, technical know how or previous jobs, it is you putting yourself in my shoes.

I will happily look at your profile text and write it for you, free of charge. If you send me a pretend job, I can respond in the way a Marketer would just to give you and idea.

Please let me know what you think and if you put these steps into action, what differences you see.

Thanks for reading and all the best.

to get attention

Hey @hmbespoke

Sorry I could not call you by your name because I did not find your name anywhere in the post.

Overall your post is well n good. I appreciate the time you spent on this,really it will help all.

You proved that you’re a marketer, because Your post got attention by everyone. 🙂

Actually I have followed these type of methods, before reading this thread. But sadly not even a single response came from a buyer. I have been in Fiverr about a month, I am really stressed and depressed. 😞

Copy here the last buyer request you responded to with your offer and we’ll tell you what you did wrong.

Exactly, day by day my sales are decreasing and thats very stressfull

Copy here the last buyer request you responded to with your offer and we’ll tell you what you did wrong.

This was the buyer’s request:

Hi. Here is the requirement, rating in woocommerce store should show as 4.50 out of 5.00. Currently only 4.50 stars are visible. We want both stars and text (ex - 4.50 out of 5) to be shown. Please let us know if you are going to use plugin or going to edit theme code to fix this.

Delivery Time - 1 days Budget - $5

This was what I offered:

Build, fix or customize your woocommerce website

Greetings Abul Hasan! I see that you are facing problem in your WooCommerce store website. Your issue is very much solvable, I will use the required code or plugin to fix the STAR issue. It should not take long. You can rely on me for the job, since I am a certified Front-End Web Developer from CodersTrust and BASIS Institute of Technology & Management. I have an honors degree in Computer Science and Engineering from National University of Bangladesh. I have more than 3 years of experience in the web development field. I am a Web Developer with experience with Wordpress, HTML5, CSS, Bootstrap, PSD to HTML, Jquery, Javascript and PHP. So after seeing my vastly affluent profile, I hope you will not deny my offer. Let us have a conversation to clarify more about the project. Thank you

This was the buyer’s request:

Hi. Here is the requirement, rating in woocommerce store should show as 4.50 out of 5.00. Currently only 4.50 stars are visible. We want both stars and text (ex - 4.50 out of 5) to be shown. Please let us know if you are going to use plugin or going to edit theme code to fix this.

Delivery Time - 1 days Budget - $5

This was what I offered:

Build, fix or customize your woocommerce website

Greetings Abul Hasan! I see that you are facing problem in your WooCommerce store website. Your issue is very much solvable, I will use the required code or plugin to fix the STAR issue. It should not take long. You can rely on me for the job, since I am a certified Front-End Web Developer from CodersTrust and BASIS Institute of Technology & Management. I have an honors degree in Computer Science and Engineering from National University of Bangladesh. I have more than 3 years of experience in the web development field. I am a Web Developer with experience with Wordpress, HTML5, CSS, Bootstrap, PSD to HTML, Jquery, Javascript and PHP. So after seeing my vastly affluent profile, I hope you will not deny my offer. Let us have a conversation to clarify more about the project. Thank you

Personally I’d say this isn’t a good request to bid on. No website address to check the issue, budget $5 and 24h delivery.

That being said, if you feel that this type of request matches your expectations then my feedback would be:

• First, you didn’t really answer the question. Will you use a plugin OR a custom code? For example, if you will use a plugin then you should specify which plugin. If you decide to go with a custom code then explain in 1-2 sentences why it’s better than using a plugin.
  • Secondly, you said it shouldn’t take long. You have to be more specific than that. Will you be able to meet the 24h delivery or not. If you can’t estimate the time without seeing the backend then say so.
  • Your profile already has the education info, you don’t need to repeat it. You have 800 chars to respond so use these wisely. IMHO education info doesn’t mean much here. I’ve seen plenty of developers with degrees yet they don’t have any practical experience and you can say whatever you want on your profile because there’s no verification process to confirm it.
  • Your experience should be relevant to the request. For example, how is PSD to HTML relevant to this task?
  • Additionally you can ask questions from the buyer. For example my first question would have been the website address. With the website address you could have checked which theme they are using and if they have already done some customization to the code that’s producing this rating info.
  • Last but not least, I think the closing is a bit awkward. Some people might like it, but I would recommend replacing this sentence “So after seeing my vastly affluent profile, I hope you will not deny my offer.” with something else.

It’s up to you if you follow this advice or not. 😉 Maybe others have a different opinion about it.

Personally I’d say this isn’t a good request to bid on. No website address to check the issue, budget $5 and 24h delivery.

That being said, if you feel that this type of request matches your expectations then my feedback would be:

• First, you didn’t really answer the question. Will you use a plugin OR a custom code? For example, if you will use a plugin then you should specify which plugin. If you decide to go with a custom code then explain in 1-2 sentences why it’s better than using a plugin.
  • Secondly, you said it shouldn’t take long. You have to be more specific than that. Will you be able to meet the 24h delivery or not. If you can’t estimate the time without seeing the backend then say so.
  • Your profile already has the education info, you don’t need to repeat it. You have 800 chars to respond so use these wisely. IMHO education info doesn’t mean much here. I’ve seen plenty of developers with degrees yet they don’t have any practical experience and you can say whatever you want on your profile because there’s no verification process to confirm it.
  • Your experience should be relevant to the request. For example, how is PSD to HTML relevant to this task?
  • Additionally you can ask questions from the buyer. For example my first question would have been the website address. With the website address you could have checked which theme they are using and if they have already done some customization to the code that’s producing this rating info.
  • Last but not least, I think the closing is a bit awkward. Some people might like it, but I would recommend replacing this sentence “So after seeing my vastly affluent profile, I hope you will not deny my offer.” with something else.

It’s up to you if you follow this advice or not. 😉

This is so helpful! I really do try to make a personal touch for each buyer, but I do have a basic template for the general qualities for the main types of jobs in apply to. However, I always make sure I am reading the full post and include any hidden words the buyer asks for. I think I just need to include more of their words in the proposal to show that I really do care about the project. Thanks again for this great post!

to get attention

Hey @hmbespoke

Sorry I could not call you by your name because I did not find your name anywhere in the post.

Overall your post is well n good. I appreciate the time you spent on this,really it will help all.

You proved that you’re a marketer, because Your post got attention by everyone. 🙂

Hey @hmbespoke

What do you think guys, I am right?

• 5 weeks later...

you have to make a plan

___>you can write all your skills in a paper, then select your stronger skill

___>your are going to lavarage your stronger skill with your other skills

based on that you develop your services

my strongest is (Local Citation)

I can create beautiful Citation services, means can provide quality high DA sites with proper NAP instant Live links…

so I use that as my strongest point

I also sell Off page SEO

in OFF page seo I sell, Bookmarking, Blog Commenting, Web 2.O

and now I offer local seo____because I know what works

i know that if I offer a service is going to have a good impact in that business___ and it is not just to make money___the intention is to sell one time, do a good job, and then you have a client forever___so that same client brings you more work all the time, without the need of selling
then that client will bring more clients 🙂

How do you get the names as they are not visible in buyer requests 🙂

Someone said the names are visible on the app. For the desktop, if the buyer request has a profile picture in the request (not the case here) you can right-click on it (at least in Firefox) and click “view image info” and look at the associated text. I think there’s another way to get some of the names but it’s not shown normally on the page. So if there’s no normal way to know (at least on the desktop, assuming it isn’t written into the buyer request by the buyer), sellers shouldn’t be expected to mention it. I also don’t know why Fiverr isn’t consistent between the app and the desktop version about this.

Archived