Some Voice Acting Tips

patsvoice

I am new to Fiverr.com but I am not new to the world of Voice Acting, and I wanted to part a few words of wisdom for my Fellow VO brothers and Sisters.

Practice! - First and foremost read out loud as often as possible and do your best to sound conversational. Try to use your eyes and always be a few words ahead of your voice. This will allow smoother transitions when ending or beginning sentences.

Work the Mic - In order not to pop your "P"s or Slam those "S"s, learn how to “work your mic”. Slightly turn your head so that your sound does not hit the mic right up front. Some of us also use our fingers or a pencil to split the air as it comes out, on letters like “P”.

Mouth Noise - Mouth noise is alway a problem when beginning. Most often it is caused by dehydration or cotton mouth. Some people use spearmint gum. Some people use lozenges, some use Granny Smith (Green) apples. Keep water with you and stay hydrated.

These are just a few short suggestions for beginning voice over talents who are looking to impress their clients.

Have a Wonderful Week!

-Pat

Isn’t the point of a pop filter to reduce plosives? I mean, sure – pencils and fingers to split air are probably useful and much cheaper, but I picked up a pop filter for about $8 and it’s significantly helped my recording. It’s so strong that if I blow as hard as I can through the filter, I can’t feel any breeze on the other side!

The /s/ though… Ever since I started doing voice work I’ve paid more attention to the sound of advertisements and shows or movies. Sound natural while reducing sibilants is pretty tricky and just takes some work.

I totally agree on the hydration thing, though! Mouth pops are the most irksome thing to hear in a recording! There’s a little pop of lips or tongue before most people speak and it’s… grating. I do research with natural speech audio clips and listening to participants pop their lips and touch the mic makes me so angry! Luckily, such things are often easily removed in the post-production.

Pop screens do help. When you watch many professionals some don’t use pop screens simply because they don’t like them or think it impedes the sounds.

But pop screens wont get rid of plosives, really it is skill and the ability to work your mic. Your equipment is only as good as your ability to control your vocal cords and the space between you and the mic.

Best of luck!

-Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pat for the wonderful Tips… and i also believe getting a right Mic is very important for the voice over … i use dynamic and condenser mics and all my sellers are very happy but when i wanted to buy some voice over gigs i found some sellers use very basic mic like collar mic and the ones like Handy Audio recorders used by Reports/Journalists…What do you think Pat ?

There are also many mics which don’t need pop filters due to the fact that their baskets already serve as such.

Additionally, use a deesser in your signal chain if you get problems with sibilances.

In my opinion, a good calibrated signal chain words like magic. Either pre- or post-production.

I think you are right. It takes research to find the right mic. My first Mic which did very well for me was an inexpensive xlr large diaphragm mic. Since they I have upgraded. I think often people think they can skip the good mic and use post effects in DAW to make up for it. Personally I use as little Post effects as possible. I like when my mic gives me just high quality sound of exactly how my voice sounds. There are some good inexpensive Mics out there.

Archived