Sellers Shouldn't be "Required" to leave public feedback for Buyers

I know this has been said before. I feel like saying it again.

Requiring Sellers to leave public feedback for buyers is pointless and frustrating.

The vast majority of sellers are not going to leave honest feedback without knowing how the buyer rated us.

First, because way too often, (like maybe once every few months but STILL too often) I have buyers who don't communicate whether they are happy with an order or not until it's time for a review. Therefore, I don't know how I feel about them until I see their review. If they are perfectly satisfied, I am also perfectly satisfied. Happy to leave them a good review.  If they are not happy with their order, and using a review as the only way to communicate it, I am not happy with them. I've taken to shooting them a message after the order to encourage them to communicate with me, but honestly, it's not a great solution.

Second, because I have a few buyers I work with who are difficult to work with. I wouldn't consider them to be five-star clients. But I keep working with them because I am used to their quirks and they pay me. Why would I rate them honestly? I want to keep working with them. I'm not going to talk badly about them, no matter what.

Now I understand that sometimes there are phenomenal customers who deserve a great review. And sometimes there are buyers who are just bad, and taking the time to write them a bad review is a good service to the community. In both of those cases, I think a seller would willingly write a review. But requiring one in order to see the customer's review just isn't productive.

• Like 5
  • Up 3

8 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Is this even being seriously discussed?  It would be a huge disaster if they tried to implement it. 

I just mean, required in order to see the Buyer's review. I'd like to be able to see the buyer's review without having to submit my own.

• Like 4
  • Up 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, rachelbostwick said:

I just mean, required in order to see the Buyer's review. I'd like to be able to see the buyer's review without having to submit my own.

Yes, holding your review hostage until you review the client is BS.  I just always give 5 stars and say Thank You for the order, which renders the review completely fabricated and useless.  Go team Fiber. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Yes, holding your review hostage until you review the client is BS.  I just always give 5 stars and say Thank You for the order, which renders the review completely fabricated and useless.  Go team Fiber. 

That's mostly what I do, too.

• Like 4

To be fair, it serves a purpose. If a buyer is abusive or downright bad, you can see that in the seller feedback. Of course, those sellers pay a price in the form of private feedback that might be negative. However, I did end up passing some offers from buyers with 2 or more bad reviews from sellers. So it does help. I do agree that a lot of people will just leave 5 stars and thank you. But there are those that will share exactly what happened, if there were issues. And you can see both sides of the coin in the seller and buyer reviews. So it's not exactly pointless, because there are sellers that will leave bad reviews and help others stay away from bad buyers. 

• Like 3

On 6/8/2024 at 12:32 AM, rachelbostwick said:

The only way I can see this working is if you had the option to forfeit your ability to review the buyer in order to see their review.

I think Fiverr would still rather you just leave a review though.

• Like 1

I’m surprised you don’t want to feedback the buyers. This is something Fiverr has put in the sellers hand after interactions have been made, and let’s the other sellers know what client they are dealing with as well. I figured sellers would be happy about having the ability to review buyers as well, seems only fair since buyers review the sellers. 

• Like 1