Fiverr support team is asking money to deposit to verify my identity?

eshatjubayer

Question

Okay, yesterday I got a warning message as well as a qr code. I got the message in my fiverr message and in email said from fiverr. When I scan the qr code it took me a page to fill bank account info. I checked the url there's also fiverr in the url. So I didn't doubt to fill info. But now she is asking to deposit money to my account. $150. It seems suspicious. What's going on? I knew about phishing url but I got email from fiverr, in the url there's fiverr also even i got it in the fiverr message also. Can you explain what's happening?

• Like 2

13 answers to this question

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, eshatjubayer said:

but I got email from fiverr, in the url there's fiverr also even i got it in the fiverr message also. Can you explain what's happening?

Any one can probably change their display name to "Support Fiverr" or maybe "Fiverr Support" (Fiverr might not have prevented that yet even though there have been multiple scam attempts and actual fraud). Anyone can create a site/url with "Fiverr" at the start, eg. fiverr.anyrandomsite.com - that doesn't mean it's part of Fiverr's site. Scanning the QR code can send you to any random site (you can check what site by the websites that show you the data that's in QR codes). Fiverr doesn't send QR codes to people's Fiverr inboxes or ask them for $ to verify. You can also check their username (not just the display name) and when they joined and where from (eg. it probably starts with "id" and a random number if not the real Fiverr and probably joined very recently since Fiverr will stop each scammer quite soon after the scam attempt so they usually have recent join dates).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

Any one can probably change their display name to "Support Fiverr" or maybe "Fiverr Support" (Fiverr might not have prevented that yet even though there have been multiple scam attempts and actual fraud). Anyone can create a site/url with "Fiverr" at the start, eg. fiverr.anyrandomsite.com - that doesn't mean it's part of Fiverr's site. Scanning the QR code can send you to any random site (you can check what site by the websites that show you the data that's in QR codes). Fiverr doesn't send QR codes to people's Fiverr inboxes or ask them for $ to verify. You can also check their username (not just the display name) and when they joined and where from (eg. it probably starts with "id" and a random number if not the real Fiverr and probably joined very recently since Fiverr will stop each scammer quite soon after the scam attempt so they usually have recent join dates).

Thank you for your elaborate response. I checked the url before submitting also but i didn't check the last portion of url. Fortunely that card had no money. Fiverr should prevent theses scammer any time soon. Otherwise it can cause serious damage to newbies and their financial life.

• Like 2
  • Up 2

1 hour ago, eshatjubayer said:

So I didn't doubt to fill info.

5 minutes ago, eshatjubayer said:

Fortunely that card had no money.

If you filled in the card details then you could still contact your bank about it and let them know, in case the scammer now have your card details and might be able to use it in future. If they have the card info maybe the bank could send a new card and monitor the transactions etc.

• Like 1
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, uk1000 said:

If you filled in the card details then you could still contact your bank about it and let them know, in case the scammer now have your card details and might be able to use it in future. If they have the card info maybe the bank could send a new card and monitor the transactions etc.

You helped me a lot. I'll definitely do that.

• Like 3

Hi @eshatjubayer, we recommend reading our Terms of Service and following the account activation and verification steps provided on the website. Also, providing your email address is a violation and can lead to a restricted status, so make sure to avoid that in the future. Good luck and welcome to Fiverr 🍀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Omg, I got this QR code message just now. And it told me to fill my bank card details in the website the QR provided. But I wasn't able to choose paypal option, their site is buggy. I am so glad to know it's a scam, thank you for this post. I never thought this would happen to fiverr, I see fiverr as a very secure and a professional site. But due to post like this, we are saved. Looking forward to get rid of these fishers, I can understand that these problems can happen to professional sites too.

• Like 3
  • Congrats! 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ana_tomy said:

Hi @eshatjubayer, we recommend reading our Terms of Service and following the account activation and verification steps provided on the website. Also, providing your email address is a violation and can lead to a restricted status, so make sure to avoid that in the future. Good luck and welcome to Fiverr 🍀

I know I'm repeating myself, but I think a  simple message from Fiverr when you register "hey guys, remember that Fiverr CS does NOT write to you in your inbox' could be very useful. I've read the TOS and to be honest it didn't really explain this as well as it could (last time I checked at least.) Sometimes making sure people know what's going on can be very helpful! 

Just to explain - some people might not understand everything in the TOS or even just not see every bit. Yes, that's an issue, but the fact that people pretend to be Fiverr get away with it also shows that more should be done about the situation. People need to be aware of basic scams. At the moment, a new buyer or seller's impression can be ruined very easily by just one bad person. 

Edited by katakatica
  • Like 3
  • Up 4

18 hours ago, eshatjubayer said:

Thank you for your elaborate response. I checked the url before submitting also but i didn't check the last portion of url. Fortunely that card had no money. Fiverr should prevent theses scammer any time soon. Otherwise it can cause serious damage to newbies and their financial life.

exactly, newbies will lose everything before they know anything.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ana_tomy said:

Thanks for your reply. I will keep that in mind. But one question, how can they send messages on fiverr?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marigoldypixel said:

Omg, I got this QR code message just now. And it told me to fill my bank card details in the website the QR provided. But I wasn't able to choose paypal option, their site is buggy. I am so glad to know it's a scam, thank you for this post. I never thought this would happen to fiverr, I see fiverr as a very secure and a professional site. But due to post like this, we are saved. Looking forward to get rid of these fishers, I can understand that these problems can happen to professional sites too.

I'm very cautious when it comes to filling info. But it seems like they planned it meticulously. They sent email where display name is "fiverr", they sent messages on fiverr where name is "fiverr support" even they has "fiverr" beginning in the url too. I checked everything still got scammed. I didn't realize until they told me to deposit money to the card they stole.I was lucky, my card didn't have money. But someone might have. So I do believe fiverr should handle these scammer strictly.

• Like 2