Should we enable auto reply or not?

perfectwork25

Question

Hello, recently, my response rate has increased to 3 hours from 1 hour. I'm considering setting up an auto-reply on my account because most of the messages that come in late at night remain unanswered for a long time, sometimes 8-9 hours, which affects my response rate. However, I feel that setting up an auto-reply sometimes seems unprofessional. Additionally, a few buyers send their requirements in multiple messages, like 2-3 or even 3-4 messages, and setting up an auto-reply might discourage them from messaging further. I worry this could negatively impact the client's experience. Should we still set up an auto-reply on our account? Also, sometimes I'm online or it's daytime when I may not want the buyer to receive an auto-reply, but the system will still send one. Should sellers set up an auto-reply or not?

• Like 7

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, perfectwork25 said:

Hello, recently, my response rate has increased to 3 hours from 1 hour. I'm considering setting up an auto-reply on my account because most of the messages that come in late at night remain unanswered for a long time, sometimes 8-9 hours, which affects my response rate. 

Auto reply DOES NOT affect the average response rate. We still need to reply to messages manually and system takes only that into account!!

• Like 7
  • Up 6

I read on the Forum once that auto responses were aggravating to buyers who would rather interact with a seller, so I stopped using them. Fiverr gives us 24 hours to respond to a buyer before our response time declines, so what is the point? 

• Like 5
  • Up 1

2 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

I read on the Forum once that auto responses were aggravating to buyers who would rather interact with a seller, so I stopped using them. Fiverr gives us 24 hours to respond to a buyer before our response time declines, so what is the point? 

For the same reason, I never tried enabling or using them. The entire concept feels very robotic/inhuman.

When every requirement and buyer is unique, it makes sense to reply as humanly as possible to them. Plus, if a buyer expects prompt replies at 3AM, then they're already a red flag!! 😂 

• Like 4
  • Up 2

Posted (edited)

I used auto responses for a little over a year primarily for my own purpose of getting more information about their project and needs, and not once did someone reply with such information. So, all it seemed to do was probably annoy people. I know I'd be annoyed by yet another impersonal, automated thing in my life.

Edited by mandyzines
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, perfectwork25 said:

Hello, recently, my response rate has increased to 3 hours from 1 hour. I'm considering setting up an auto-reply on my account because most of the messages that come in late at night remain unanswered for a long time, sometimes 8-9 hours, which affects my response rate. However, I feel that setting up an auto-reply sometimes seems unprofessional. Additionally, a few buyers send their requirements in multiple messages, like 2-3 or even 3-4 messages, and setting up an auto-reply might discourage them from messaging further. I worry this could negatively impact the client's experience. Should we still set up an auto-reply on our account? Also, sometimes I'm online or it's daytime when I may not want the buyer to receive an auto-reply, but the system will still send one. Should sellers set up an auto-reply or not?

I have the auto-reply on and, as far as I know: 1) it does not have any impact on your response rate, in my case it only serves to ask buyers to provide more information on their project; 2) It works only after the initial message from a buyer. They do not receive an auto-reply each time they send a message.

• Like 6
  • Up 2

I aim to respond to messages within 1 to 2 hours

If it is my daytime, I try to reply promptly. At the very least, I acknowledge messages with a quick note like, "Message received, I'm currently away from my computer but will respond more fully soon"

In general, I believe having good ratings and a reasonable number of completed orders is what clients care about most, rather than the average response time displayed on your profile. So generally speaking, I would say try not to obsess too much about this, and more about keeping your gigs looking attractive / professional and performing good when you have ongoing orders

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1