Buyer leaves factually (proven) false review, not an opinion, and Fiverr insists it's an opinion

So I had one of those buyers who ask for Y, purchase an order for Y, are told throughout the entire order we're developing Y and, after delivery, that buyer requests additional Z (not wanting to pay extra). 

After realizing I was never supposed to deliver Z, but only Y, the buyer gave up and simply accepted the delivery, leaving a 1 star review. 

The problem was: the buyer left a review saying my code was buggy. The delivered code on the platform is completely free of bugs, which Fiverr or anyone can verify, but after reaching out to the support Fiverr insists it's an opinion.

Saying I'm not communicative enough, or that I don't have great design taste, that's an opinion. Saying I delivered a buggy code, while the code is literally there without 1 single bug, it's a factually false statement. This isn't a subjective opinion, it's a factual lie, also called defamation, and anyone trying to say otherwise has literally 0 idea of the difference between a fact and an opinion.

They also insist this review doesn't violate their Terms of Service and Community Rules. I guess we're all allowed to lie on facts and call it an opinion.

We all know how Fiverr favors buyer all the time, just be safe out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Up 4

Don't forget you can reply to reviews to give your side of the story. I had a similar situation and pushed back in my reply. I have since had customers message me saying that they loved my "no nonsense" approach and subsequently ordered based on my reply.

• Like 1
  • Up 3

17 hours ago, leonardosous268 said:

So I had one of those buyers who ask for Y, purchase an order for Y, are told throughout the entire order we're developing Y and, after delivery, that buyer requests additional Z (not wanting to pay extra). 

After realizing I was never supposed to deliver Z, but only Y, the buyer gave up and simply accepted the delivery, leaving a 1 star review. 

The problem was: the buyer left a review saying my code was buggy. The delivered code on the platform is completely free of bugs, which Fiverr or anyone can verify, but after reaching out to the support Fiverr insists it's an opinion.

Saying I'm not communicative enough, or that I don't have great design taste, that's an opinion. Saying I delivered a buggy code, while the code is literally there without 1 single bug, it's a factually false statement. This isn't a subjective opinion, it's a factual lie, also called defamation, and anyone trying to say otherwise has literally 0 idea of the difference between a fact and an opinion.

They also insist this review doesn't violate their Terms of Service and Community Rules. I guess we're all allowed to lie on facts and call it an opinion.

That is the fact, unfortunately.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2024 at 3:50 AM, leonardosous268 said:

Hi @leonardosous268! I'm sorry this happened to you. As @andywarburton mentioned, you're always able to leave a public response for a negative review you do not quite agree with. If choosing to reply, just remember to do so tactfully and maintain respect, not letting any anger show.

A misguided response can make the situation worse, whereas an empathetic and professional reply can help convert future customers who would have otherwise been put off upon reading the bad review. 

On 4/24/2024 at 8:50 AM, leonardosous268 said:

The problem was: the buyer left a review saying my code was buggy.

When I checked the review it it doesn't mention "buggy" or bugs (the review from a week ago). Though maybe it's been changed since then.

On 4/24/2024 at 8:50 AM, leonardosous268 said:

If it did lie then it might be covered by the following link

https://www.fiverr.com/community/standards/violence-unlawful

Misinformation is false or inaccurate information that is spread either accidentally or with the deliberate intent to mislead or deceive others (disinformation). Given the potential harm misinformation can cause to individuals and the general public, Fiverr will promptly address any efforts to spread misinformation through the platform and/or to the general public. User accounts which violate this policy will be permanently suspended from the platform.

but it might really be about the sections they mention further on in that link, about spreading fake news etc.

• Like 1