AI Update.

newsmike

Major ruling from judge. AI Created art cannot be copyrighted. For now this relegates AI to the more mundane applications like the Amazon help bot. If the revenue stream from such works cannot be financially protected from unlimited usage the creators are somewhat more protected. So no new Batman movie written by AI, for now...

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/ai-works-not-copyrightable-studios-1235570316/

Since Fiverr is running an AI art contest right now, you could take any AI created art and submit it whether you actually created it or not.

Here's my submission.

file-20220912-26-8603of_1.jpeg

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 14
  • Up 1

35 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Since Fiverr is running an AI art contest right now, you could take any AI created art and submit it whether you actually created it or not.

Though it would probably be against this competition rule (see https://contests.fiverr.com/ai-art-2023/terms)

6.1 Each applicant hereby represents and warrants that (i) the AI Art Image(s) and any other content submitted by the applicant for the contest (the “Submitted Content”) shall be original and shall not infringe any third party rights, including copyrights, trademarks or service marks; and (ii) the applicant’s use of the AI tool, to create the Submitted Content, was in a proper manner and in compliance with such AI tool terms of services and any other applicable law and/or regulation. The applicant shall be the sole liable for any claim caused due to a breach of these representations and warranties.   

35 minutes ago, newsmike said:

So no new Batman movie written by AI, for now...

Though hypothetically if the script was written by AI, the script wouldn't be copyrightable but the film would be (if the film was created by people). Though they could create the general ideas for the script with AI but do enough human work on the script to make it copyrightable.

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 4

If AI has a million haters, then I am one of them. If it has ten haters, then I am one of them. If it only has one hater, then that is me. If AI has no haters, then that means I am no longer on Earth. If the world loves AI, then I am against the world.

(if you can't tell, I'm definitely very happy with this ruling)

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 10

One thing about that lawsuit is that it was trying to give the copyright author name to the machine (or software) but the ownership to the man.

He listed the author as "creativity machine" and wanted to get the copyright to it transferred to himself as a "work for hire".

No one on Fiverr are trying to say the author is the software I think. Maybe he would have had more chance if he said he was the author of the work (by creating the prompts and other parameters) and stated exactly what he did and used. But that still likely wouldn't have been enough human authorship.

But let's say he spent 3 days editing the work before submission (enough human authorship for it to be copyrightable), the copyright office still wouldn't allow the copyright registration if he again put "creativity machine" as the author. Instead he should have put himself as the author but again listed everything he did so that the copyright office knew which parts he had done (and amount of work he put in) and which parts the AI did. Then they would probably give him the copyright registration of that finished work that he put all that effort into (even though he changed the work that he created with AI to create that finished work).

Edited by uk1000
  • Like 4