Will I ever get my first order?

the_civil_panda

I published two gigs over a year ago, and just published a new gig. I haven't received one single order. This isn't fair, . but then again life was, is, and will never be fair. I know that. However, I have a suggestion, I think it would be a good idea if Fiverr dedicated one day per month where it displays gigs that never got orders on the first page to give people a chance at getting some orders. If their service isn't as good as promised, that's on them. But it would serve the fiverr community overall. There are many talented sellers who never get a chance to prove that they can actually offer great service to buyers, but they never get a chance to do that. I think dedicating just one day per month to them isn't too much to ask. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, the_civil_panda said:

I published two gigs over a year ago, and just published a new gig. I haven't received one single order. This isn't fair, . but then again life was, is, and will never be fair. I know that. However, I have a suggestion, I think it would be a good idea if Fiverr dedicated one day per month where it displays gigs that never got orders on the first page to give people a chance at getting some orders. If their service isn't as good as promised, that's on them. But it would serve the fiverr community overall. There are many talented sellers who never get a chance to prove that they can actually offer great service to buyers, but they never get a chance to do that. I think dedicating just one day per month to them isn't too much to ask. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

If your Fiverr gigs haven't received orders:

1. Optimize gig descriptions and use relevant keywords.
  2. Offer competitive pricing and promote gigs on social media.
  3. Use high-quality gig media to showcase your services.
  4. Communicate promptly and professionally with potential buyers.
  5. Seek feedback and continuously improve your gigs.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, the_civil_panda said:

I have a suggestion, I think it would be a good idea if Fiverr dedicated one day per month where it displays gigs that never got orders on the first page to give people a chance at getting some orders. If their service isn't as good as promised, that's on them. But it would serve the fiverr community overall. There are many talented sellers who never get a chance to prove that they can actually offer great service to buyers, but they never get a chance to do that. I think dedicating just one day per month to them isn't too much to ask. I'm curious to know what you guys think.

What you're describing is actually similar to something I think Fiverr was secretly implementing in its algorithm...

👩‍🏫 Theory time! 

For a while, especially after the pandemic when there was a sudden influx of new sellers, it seemed like Fiverr would shuffle around search results every once in a while to try to even things out.

Do I have proof? No, not really XD

But my evidence comes from the way orders would come in. There would seem to be — once every month or two (after a dry spell 🌵) — a number of prospective buyers who would contact me in a short period of time. If I was able to handle their requests, it seemed to boost my conversion rate and that would seemingly — in turn — get me even more exposure and brand new buyers. 🥳🎉
If I was correctly interpreting what was going on  — and that's a big if — because I'm not R2-D2 and I can't just ask the algorithm 🤖 ... it was actually a pretty clever strategy...

... until the 419 problem got worse. 🤦 Oh my gosh. I would have one prospective seller who would contact me with a legit project, and then an ostensible 419 seller who would basically knock the ball out of my hands (as it were) and cause a downtick in my conversion rate (which is why one of my first posts on this forum was to argue that conversion rate should be geoweighted 🌎 to tackle the 419 issue).

But over the past year, the algorithm seems to have abandoned this shuffle-and-see strategy (if it ever was the strategy to begin with), and now I'm half convinced it's relying too much on 📢 Gig Promotion.

At any rate, I see that your services are primarily language based. The only time I have thus far purchased something on Fiverr was from an amazing young lady in Indonesia (shabrinaaarifah) who translated an old Japanese short film 🎬 for me. She went above and beyond, and I would expect Japanese translation to be in especially high demand... and yet after three years, I remain her only order to date. 😔

And that's why my suggestion would be to diversify your offerings, especially now that generative AI is getting so sophisticated. My writing services, for example, have had far less interest since ChatGPT came into play, with only my legacy customers holding on thus far. My only new customers this whole year have been for my lightsaber rotoscoping gigs (something that AI probably still has difficulty accomplishing if it's trying to track a poorly lit plastic blade 😅).

Perhaps it might require learning some brand new skills, but diversifying your offerings might be key. I did that a few years ago when I learned 3D animation, something I'd long wanted to do, and that did arguably "pay dividends" not only on Fiverr but seems to be continuing to do so elsewhere as well.

• Like 3
  • Up 3

12 hours ago, themarineiguana said:

What you're describing is actually similar to something I think Fiverr was secretly implementing in its algorithm...

👩‍🏫 Theory time! 

For a while, especially after the pandemic when there was a sudden influx of new sellers, it seemed like Fiverr would shuffle around search results every once in a while to try to even things out.

Do I have proof? No, not really XD

But my evidence comes from the way orders would come in. There would seem to be — once every month or two (after a dry spell 🌵) — a number of prospective buyers who would contact me in a short period of time. If I was able to handle their requests, it seemed to boost my conversion rate and that would seemingly — in turn — get me even more exposure and brand new buyers. 🥳🎉
If I was correctly interpreting what was going on  — and that's a big if — because I'm not R2-D2 and I can't just ask the algorithm 🤖 ... it was actually a pretty clever strategy...

... until the 419 problem got worse. 🤦 Oh my gosh. I would have one prospective seller who would contact me with a legit project, and then an ostensible 419 seller who would basically knock the ball out of my hands (as it were) and cause a downtick in my conversion rate (which is why one of my first posts on this forum was to argue that conversion rate should be geoweighted 🌎 to tackle the 419 issue).

But over the past year, the algorithm seems to have abandoned this shuffle-and-see strategy (if it ever was the strategy to begin with), and now I'm half convinced it's relying too much on 📢 Gig Promotion.

At any rate, I see that your services are primarily language based. The only time I have thus far purchased something on Fiverr was from an amazing young lady in Indonesia (shabrinaaarifah) who translated an old Japanese short film 🎬 for me. She went above and beyond, and I would expect Japanese translation to be in especially high demand... and yet after three years, I remain her only order to date. 😔

And that's why my suggestion would be to diversify your offerings, especially now that generative AI is getting so sophisticated. My writing services, for example, have had far less interest since ChatGPT came into play, with only my legacy customers holding on thus far. My only new customers this whole year have been for my lightsaber rotoscoping gigs (something that AI probably still has difficulty accomplishing if it's trying to track a poorly lit plastic blade 😅).

Perhaps it might require learning some brand new skills, but diversifying your offerings might be key. I did that a few years ago when I learned 3D animation, something I'd long wanted to do, and that did arguably "pay dividends" not only on Fiverr but seems to be continuing to do so elsewhere as well.

Thank you so much for the advice, it made me realize how little I actually know about selling, so I really appreciate it. And yeah, I hope new sellers who are actually skilled band together and make some sort of change happen, so we can have even a small fighting chance. I agree with you that chatGPT and AI are making it really difficult for language gigs, especially essays. Although i fail to see how trasncription, captioning, and subtitles can be replaced by ChatGPT or AI. My only other skill is guitar, I've been playing it for 9 years now, but I'm not comfortable with giving online lessons. To your point, It is smart to learn a new skill, maybe Microsoft Excel or Word, so I'll give that a try. I'd have to learn first though :'). Thanks again!.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me out. I'm not comfortable promoting my gigs on my personal facebook profile (I only use Facebook). Is there a group or community where I can promote my gigs without violating fivvers terms of service ?. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you 🙂 !

• Like 16
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, the_civil_panda said:

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me out. I'm not comfortable promoting my gigs on my personal facebook profile (I only use Facebook). Is there a group or community where I can promote my gigs without violating fivvers terms of service ?. I would really appreciate your help. Thank you 🙂 !

Hi,

I am quite new on Fiverr, may I ask why you are not comfortable promoting your gigs on your personal facebook profile?

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I have 123 impressions and 2 clicks on my gig. So I guess impressions mean people saw my post and clicks mean , well, obviously someone clicked. which made me wonder since 2 people clicked, what could've made them choose not to order. I optimized my gig description many times, I adjusted the prices, I added a video, I put a work sample, I provided information about my background and why I'm qualified, etc. What am I missing here ?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

There are many groups on Facebook for gig promotion. You can join & promote your gig. But it can also attract spammers.

So, I think the best solution is marketing through social media pages. If you are not comfortable promoting your gigs through a personal Facebook profile then You can create your brand pages on multiple social media platforms to showcase your work with your Fiverr profile link & attract more clients. Instagram & LinkedIn are the best platforms to showcase your work & promoting your gigs.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Hi.

I am not well-placed to tell you this. But, you have to double check your gigs. You'll provide services related to writting, proofread, transcription, ... and you are a Native English speaker; so proove it. After that, you might get your first order.

Edited by michmikaia
  • Like 4
  • Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, wayne_mt said:

The word scam is a broad term. It is often used to define many types of dishonest transactions between a seller and buyer on the platform. If you search online, you can find representative lists of the most common types of scams. The scams range in dishonesty, from mendaciousness to deceit. And they affect both buyers and sellers alike.

I've gotten a few clicks, but no orders. Could you give me some information on why that may be please ?

I honestly came here to do honest work because that gets you a long way, scams get you nowhere here ( in real life with blue collar crimes scams can get you to the top) and also that's what I want and believe in: do good work, give the customer their money's worth because god knows not all people are swimming in cash. Anyway, I went off on a tangent there.

I would appreciate your point of view on this topic. thanks.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2023 at 8:36 AM, the_civil_panda said:

added quality videos to every gig

2 hours ago, the_civil_panda said:

Could you give me some information on why that may be please ?

I glanced at your profile page. The videos are better than many I've seen, but there is definite room for improvement. For example, I like the attempt at the radio tuning correlation to finetuning writing, but you've used it on two of your gigs, and one is targeted to college applicates. An old radio like that might not even be recognized by a good chunk of the youngest of your target market, meaning they completely miss the analogy, meaning they probably move on to other gigs.

You also have to keep in mind how the gig images and videos will look at thumbnail size. Some of the text is plain too small to read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1