How have you responded to Fiverr asking you to upload your projects to showcase them?

tomerrose

I have a good profile with quite a lot of good reviews, but I feel stuck about the part of "uploading projects" and "building a portfolio".

I am a translator and editor, and mostly, people will not want me to share their as-yet-unpublished stories or books or articles. 

So much so, that I find it inappropriate to ask them for permission.

Yet, of course I'd like to have a portfolio as well.

I can perhaps upload examples of already-translated projects, but they were not done on Fiverr - does that matter?

I'd be interested to hear what other people do.

Best regrds
T.

Edited by tomerrose
  • Like 7
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, tomerrose said:

I have a good profile with quite a lot of good reviews, but I feel stuck about the part of "uploading projects" and "building a portfolio".

I am a translator and editor, and mostly, people will not want me to share their as-yet-unpublished stories or books or articles. 

So much so, that I find it inappropriate to ask them for permission.

Yet, of course I'd like to have a portfolio as well.

I can perhaps upload examples of already-translated projects, but they were not done on Fiverr - does that matter?

I'd be interested to hear what other people do.

Best regrds
T.

This is a tricky situation for writers, translators, editors, and proofreaders. There are ways to persuade clients to give you some flexibility, but I would only try this with clients I know well and trust. You could start the conversation like this...

"Hi there! I have a quick question for you before we get this project off the ground. Firstly, I want to say that it's been engaging and rewarding working with you, and I'm proud of the results we've achieved together. As I continue to grow my business, it would be an honor to showcase this project in my portfolio here on Fiverr. In appreciation for considering this request, I'd be delighted to also offer an X% discount on our project. However, I completely understand if you'd like to maintain your privacy and not showcase anything in my portfolio, so I take no offense to a "no" on this one. Many thanks!

This method worked well for me, though be ready to encounter a fair share of rejection. I haven't tried it on my writing clients yet, but I intend to. I've used it with my voice-over clients for years. I know it works, but I employ it judiciously. Some clients want nothing beyond an exchange of custom offers and deliveries. Others will tell you their life stories. I'd advise you to steer clear of those perpetually in a rush or a sour mood. 

Edited by smashradio
  • Like 9
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1