How to detect AI and quality issues when buying content

sydneymorgan

Buyers trying to get original, quality content may feel misled by sellers using AI-powered writing tools to generate content instead of producing it from scratch. As a writer, I've lately been met with many potential clients asking me to "prove" that I actually write.

AI writing tools have been around since I started my writing career 8 years ago. The difference now is that they've gotten very widely known and far more powerful in the past few months, and that has buyers concerned. In my opinion, writers can use these tools, but I believe it should always be disclosed to the client if they do — and hopefully they do more than just copy/paste what the AI generated and sell it to you. 

Is AI-generated content a bad thing?

Whether you love AI or hate it, you have to make sure you follow the best practices: 

• Content should be original and add new insights instead of regurgitating ideas already on the web 
  • Content should demonstrate first-hand experience and expertise (part of Google's E-E-A-T model)
  • Content should match your brand's voice and speak directly to your target reader's pain points

The biggest issue with AI-generated writing is that it doesn't do any of these things. A writer can edit and expand on it to make it so, but how do you know if your writer is using AI to generated some or all of the content they're sending to you? 

Detecting AI

I have tested many tools over the past few months and I have found that the absolute best is Copyleaks (free to use for now). This will tool will tell you approximately how much of the text was AI generated. It works best on longer pieces of content.

No doubt, this tool is not foolproof, which is why I firmly believe the best AI detector following this tool is YOU. When reading content, ask yourself: 

• Did the writer use varying sentence lengths and a wide vocabulary? 
  • Did the writer avoid redundancy in terminology and concepts? 
  • Did the writer follow the instructions you gave them for structure?
  • Did the writer incorporate any unique insights that imply industry expertise?
  • Did the writer include links to all of the sites they referenced during research?
  • Did the writer properly express your brand's personality with their writing style?

If you can't confidently answer "YES" to all of these questions, it really doesn't matter if they used AI or not (though the probability that they did does go up). Your content should always meet these standards if you're paying fairly for it. 

I hope that helps! 🙂

• Like 85
  • Up 7
  • Thanks 7

Great info!

There are loads of tools out there, and while no one's fretted about this yet, I know it's only a matter of time. When it happens, I'll just point them to this forum post and ask them to try it themselves.

I do lean on AI in my work, mostly for research. It's a lifesaver when I'm stuck on a headline or need to dig up more info on a topic. ChatGPT is my go-to for headline ideas and article outlines, while Bing Chat helps me hunt down specifics. It's like having a research assistant at my fingertips. But getting an AI to do my writing for me? Not a chance. I'm all for help, but there are some things only a human touch can achieve.

• Like 67
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

There's no way to figure out if it's AI-generated content or not, it essentially generates the output based on what we humans have taught it. And AI detection tools aren't there yet. For instance, if I run your gig description through the same tool you shared (i.e., copyleaks), it says 'AI Content Detected,' but I guess you've already acknowledged that it's not foolproof.

All in all, my assumption is that at some point, we will all be buying AI-generated content, and the role of writers would be to expand on ideas with the help of AI and stitch together pieces that make sense (and by that, I mean an article made up of multiple paragraphs generated by AI), much like how musicians would put together musical notes to create a beautiful song. So long till the idea is original and the content isn't plagiarized, I guess it's alright.

• Like 38
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

• 3 months later...

I've been a writer since 2001: books, blog posts, articles for magazines, online editorials, professional journals, and graduate research. No that I'm a content creator, I do a lot of blog writing and employ AI to help me. Instead of Googeling topics and doing research, I use AI to lay the research groundwork. If you use a good AI tool, it will provide citations, so you can go grab additional information.

The AI content isn't the blog post. It's the research for one section of the blog post. It takes a human mind to craft the entire post, the content for the precise audience needs. Then I add the voice and tone that's needed to match my client's brand.

• Like 27
  • Up 3

• 3 weeks later...