Custom Gig Pricing

minividpro

Question

I just offered a custom gig to a client. The client has a maximum budget of $150. I priced the custom gig at $150 but when I save it and sent it, it automatically changed the price to $215. Why would it do that? How much money should I price the gig at in order for the client's final quoted price to be $150?

How much does Fiverr take? I don't understand why it increased the price of my gig. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 2

14 answers to this question

1 hour ago, minividpro said:

I just offered a custom gig to a client. The client has a maximum budget of $150. I priced the custom gig at $150 but when I save it and sent it, it automatically changed the price to $215. Why would it do that? How much money should I price the gig at in order for the client's final quoted price to be $150?

How much does Fiverr take? I don't understand why it increased the price of my gig. 

very strange! try from different browser . When I send custom offer always my clients receive with correct amount.

• Like 11
  • Up 1

Are you based somewhere other than the US where the local currency is in $? After posing a custom offer in US dollars, it will convert to you local currency which could explain the difference in price. For example if you post the offer in US dollars and you live in Australia, it would convert the amount to Australian Dollars (which once converted would be look like a higher amount).

Edited by sophiepearce
  • Like 6
  • Congrats! 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sophiepearce said:

Are you based somewhere other than the US where the local currency is in $? After posing a custom offer in US dollars, it will convert to you local currency which could explain the difference in price. For example if you post the offer in US dollars and you live in Australia, it would convert the amount to Australian Dollars (which once converted would be look like a higher amount).

When I receive orders from customers outside USA my price always remains the same, most likely the price changes automatically for the customer in his currency

• Like 4
  • Up 1

Thank you for your help. I tried to create the custom gig again, this time, I only entered the Description of the offer and the price. I don't think it's including any extra services. But, again, it increased the price. I added a price of $124 so with a 20% fiverr markup, I was hoping it would show as $149 but it still shows as $178. I emailed Fiverr support and they replied to me with an answer that had nothing to do with my question. So either the person didn't read my question or it was an AI response that completely messed up.

My pricing on the offer shows as Canadian funds (CA) and so did his specification criteria in his first message (showing his budget is $149) But it could have something to do with the currency but I've checked my profile and it's showing Canadian so I'm not sure what else to check. 

Is there any workaround for this? This is my first gig. :( So frustrating to run into this issue.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, venonusa said:

When I receive orders from customers outside USA my price always remains the same, most likely the price changes automatically for the customer in his currency

Yes I understand this, that's why I asked if the seller is outside of the US. As this is what they will be seeing once they submit the custom offer to the customer on their side of the conversation. The seller didn't say whether the customer is seeing the same price as them.

• Like 7
  • Up 1

4 minutes ago, sophiepearce said:

Yes I understand this, that's why I asked if the seller is outside of the US. As this is what they will be seeing once they submit the custom offer to the customer on their side of the conversation. The seller didn't say whether the customer is seeing the same price as them.

We are both Canadian. But is Fiverr converting it to American? Even if it is, it's still not adding up.

$125 Can = $171.45 but when I enter $125 as the offer, it shows the client the price is $178

Would it be adding taxes on top? Is there some calculation I'm not aware of that can help me figure out what number to plug in to get to $149?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, minividpro said:

Thank you for your help. I tried to create the custom gig again, this time, I only entered the Description of the offer and the price. I don't think it's including any extra services. But, again, it increased the price. I added a price of $124 so with a 20% fiverr markup, I was hoping it would show as $149 but it still shows as $178. I emailed Fiverr support and they replied to me with an answer that had nothing to do with my question. So either the person didn't read my question or it was an AI response that completely messed up.

My pricing on the offer shows as Canadian funds (CA) and so did his specification criteria in his first message (showing his budget is $149) But it could have something to do with the currency but I've checked my profile and it's showing Canadian so I'm not sure what else to check. 

Is there any workaround for this? This is my first gig. 😞So frustrating to run into this issue.

Are you sending your custom offer as $149 (CA)? I live in the UK (£) but when I send over a custom offer, I need to enter the value in US dollars. This could be why it's increasing as it's converting your offer form US to CA when you send it across. To save this issue, I always discuss custom offers with customers in US even though my local currency is £.

• Like 4
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, sophiepearce said:

Are you sending your custom offer as $149 (CA)? I live in the UK (£) but when I send over a custom offer, I need to enter the value in US dollars. This could be why it's increasing as it's converting your offer form US to CA when you send it across. To save this issue, I always discuss custom offers with customers in US even though my local currency is £.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the currency but I am at a loss as to how to change it. When I go to enter the price it doesn't allow me to specify the currency. I'm assuming it's Canadian because my profile shows as Canadian currency. And it doesn't make sense even if it's American currency. The conversion doesn't seem to add up.  But, I guess I don't know what conversion rate they're using. I'm using just the conversion rate online.

$125 Can = $171.45 American but when I enter $125 as the offer, it shows the client the price is $178 (could it be adding tax?)

Do you know if I am supposed to input the price that I want to offer, after Fiverr's cut? So if the client has a budget of $149, do I enter $119.20 ( $149 minus 20%)

Seems strange to me that Fiverr doesn't tell you the calculation. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, minividpro said:

Fiverr takes 20% from us, but that's from the quoted price (e.g. $150 Canadian in this case.) That doesn't show up for the buyer at all.

BUT the site DOES add a fee on top of what you quote depending on the order's size (I think it's a flat fee?) The buyer pays it (and then you pay 20% of what you quoted them (for example, if the gig is 5 dollars, they pay, say, 7( I'm not sure how much exactly) but your 20% is taken off from the 5 bucks, not 7.)

What I'm thinking is that it might just be that it just shows up a bit higher since the CAD is a touch weaker than the USD. (so, for example, if the flat fee is, I don't know, $5 per order or whatever, it'd be more/less in other currencies.) I do actually think, though, that if the currency isn't specified, you are quoting them in USD but I'm not entirely sure about that. 

11 hours ago, minividpro said:

Do you know if I am supposed to input the price that I want to offer, after Fiverr's cut? So if the client has a budget of $149, do I enter $119.20 ( $149 minus 20%)

Just to reiterate, NOPE, that's not the way; you'll only be losing more money. The fee is smaller than 20% I think (it could be just 7 dollars, actually.)  What I'd do is check the TOS for the fees in your currency, so you know (just in case) or maybe even place an order to see how it works from the buyer's side! I think that helped me a lot in understanding how the process is! 

(I do think the TOS has a section on this though somewhere, might be just buried by some other stuff.)

• Like 7

After sending the offer of $150, you are seeing the amount $215?

1. If you are seeing this at your end, then might be there some bugs, try to withdraw the offer and log out and then log in and try to send a new offer.
2. If your client is seeing $215, then might be your client is from another country like Canada, or Australia, Because there are differences in currencies and this is the reason, so, confirm with your client.

• Like 3

I heard from Fiverr support who confirmed it is American currency I should be entering in the custom price field, despite the fact that both my settings and the client's settings were set to Cdn currency. The conversion rate was different than what I was seeing online so that was part of why it wasn't making sense to me. Fiverr doesn't state their conversion rate anywhere so you have to guess.

But I'm going to change my currency to American so I don't run into this problem in the future. It's just easier. The client was okay with the higher rate, so that's the good news. :)

Thanks, everyone for your help!

• Like 3