Would you order from yourself?

1 hour ago, renco007 said:

Good discussion. I have no idea about this before

I'd love to hear your insight on the topic of taking a second look at what you write/sell! Would love it if you could elaborate! How do you make sure you only offer something you would be happy to buy?

• Like 42
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 2:34 AM, ozan_erdi said:

EXACTLY. Even if being online would be the right way to do it, they would still not be able to do much.

I do think that before Fiverr got THIS big, little things like that probably did matter. But now with all the competition, it's just... not the same, I guess? (which, to be fair is probably for the best. Of course everyone wishes they could make money just by being online but that's now how life works. I have some relatives who are a bit older and CONSTANTLY believe scammy pages that offer 'positions' like that, so I totally get it, to be fair. Just... not a great look for the site in a way. 

leads to a failure %99 of the time. 

What I'm noticing is that the 1% gets... way too loud, I guess? Especially nowadays with social media being everywhere and all. It's much easier to spread nonsense. (and they often get paid for it.) Sure, in a way people on here who 'make it' are also part of, say, a 5% or something, but at least we aren't lying about how we got here and all. 

A client of him asks why he should pay that much to something that took 30 minutes to do.

I feel like people don't always know how much work goes into it before. With all the 'expert sellers' (who aren't really experts' selling, say, 30k words done in a week or something I also often get the 'why so slow?/expensive?'
I like to just say it's worth the wait/money 😛

• Like 44

6 minutes ago, katakatica said:

What I'm noticing is that the 1% gets... way too loud, I guess? Especially nowadays with social media being everywhere and all. It's much easier to spread nonsense.

30 minutes ago, katakatica said:

Of course everyone wishes they could make money just by being online but that's now how life works.

Agreed. Nonsense is always more interesting. Why do people know more about the Kardashians instead of Greta Thunberg? Why are the Flat Earthers taken seriously? Same about the business. If someone comes up to me in my economicly exhausting times and offers some miracles instead of the boring "work hard facts" i would be interested too. Like many people who fails with crypto trading, many people will fail at freelancing too. But if you look at them, you would think they are doing a lot.

31 minutes ago, katakatica said:

I like to just say it's worth the wait/money 😛 

You can also say they are buying a guarantee instead of a risk. Risk is cheap, guarantee isnt. 😄 

• Like 36

On 7/19/2022 at 10:09 AM, katakatica said:

It's been a while since I've written anything like this, so please bear with me for a second - but hopefully this one tip will actually get to people who need it. (and if not, we can still have a great discussion about the topic, so... win-win.)

We see 5-10, if not more, new sellers a week, complaining about not getting orders, which is pretty standard. It takes a while for a business to really get going and right now we ARE in the middle of the summer, so of course some niches might be less busy than normal.

But... here is the thing. Many people don't seem to get past the 'whyyy I have no orders' phase, so they never quite get to the solution. 

I think before complaining/crying about the site not working out, take a good look at your gig and think. 

Now, I know - you do SEO and you are online 45 hours AND you even promote on social media.

Great but... do you know why that isn't working?

Everyone else is doing the same thing (well, everyone as in, new sellers.) 

You might be following tips and tricks from obscure youtube channels that just seem SO trustworthy, but so are thousands of others. Sure, there might have once been some truth to these videos once, but when everyone starts applying them... what's going to happen? 

That's impossible, right? 

You might be making gigs that look 'perfect' on the outside and yet still fail to catch the eyes of your buyers. I've seen logo gigs with 'bleh' samples but great writing, writing gigs with super gig images but descriptions full of grammar mistakes... and the list goes on. 

You need money - and that's understandable... but take a good look at what you are offering and ask yourself 'would I buy this?  s this something that people would take a second look at and go 'ah, that's what I've been looking for!' If the answer is 'no', why? What could you improve to make it better? Are you selling something you enjoy making or are you just selling something people told you to sell? Is there something else that you'd prefer to do? 

Just... take a step back, breathe, and think for a second. 

I think its a really effective idea to change perspective. I always tried to make everything as appealing as possible. But I never really asked myself this particular question. "Would I order from myself?" It really shines some light on things that could be improved. 

I will think about that for a while. Thanks! ^^

• Like 38

This is a great question and to be honest, if you don't ask yourself if you would buy from yourself, then you shouldn't expect anyone else to buy from you!

I'm new to Fiverr and even I have had to sit down and say "Hey ma'am, are you actually doing the things you need to achieve what you want?" If you're not sure, what do you do? Well, I reached out to more experienced folks on this platform AND outside this platform who have actually been doing what I've started doing for a WHILE. Not days or months, but YEARS. I'm sorry but I was a "professional" in my "former" career and guess what? It took YEARS to get to that "professional" level. I learned it from the ground up and I'm glad I did because the people who took short cuts didn't last very long.  

I'm an "apprentice" now and that's fine; I won't be there for long if I continue to monitor myself and understand that this is a learning process AND a work process that takes TIME. Do I hope to learn quickly? Of course. Would I rather learn it the right way? Absolutely. Because when it comes down to it, I want to eventually become the master teacher for myself.  Yup... that's the goal. 

Much success to everyone (especially, anyone new to the platform). My advice? Learn from the RIGHT people, work smarter (not harder), and be PATIENT. We'll get there. 

Happy Writing!

Angela 

Edited by omnilegentangel
  • Like 41
  • Up 1