If you're a teenager on Fiverr, do people seem to ignore and dismiss you more when you inform them about your age? 

Guest curiosity_tube

Guest curiosity_tube

I'm a teenager on Fiverr. I had a previous account for about 2 months but had deactivated it since, well, stuff. 
I've recently opened this account and have been getting clients that wanted to talk on a call to discuss wireframes of their vision and stuff. 

So my last client, since I do not have a filled portfolio yet, I offered him a free sample before him investing money in me. He credited me a ton in the chat, and was extremely happy with the sample. Then we came on a call, oh boy.

The moment I started talking, he interrupts me and asks me what my age is. I tell him my age, and he doesn't talk a lot in the call. A few days later, I get a message from him, saying that he did not like the designs and wouldn't like to pay me.

WHAT THE ACTUAL F-

Does my age even matter when you're getting punctual deliveries, and professional work?! If I never had had that call with him, I'm sure I would be working on his project right now. Plus, he liked my work! Before knowing my age, that is. 

So, if you're a teenager, does that ever happen to you? 

Ahem, YES. I don't EVER tell my clients my age unless they seem like a potential future friend (I do game coaching, so everyone's a friend). People just tend to look down on you as soon as you inform them of your age and are unwilling to accept that teenagers are better at what they do than some boomer that's been doing it for 20 years.

On 2/22/2022 at 1:31 PM, curiosity_tube said:

clients that wanted to talk on a call to discuss wireframes of their vision and stuff. 

Personally I would never have a phone call, video call with any client and for no reason. But I think that could depend also of the services you are selling (maybe if you selling services that involves you ad a persona, your voice, singing, acting ecc might be different for sure). In my case I'm offering illustrations so a phone call is absolutely unnecessary!

First reason is because I want everything written down, so in case of any dispute or disagreement I have proof to show to clients themselves but also to CS too how things actually went. And it happened to me some similar experience in past, I was able to send screenshots about the conversation, with a phone call that wouldn't be possible!  

Second, in a phone call informations might get lost, forgotten, misunderstood... again having all informations written down helps you to go back and check 2/3/4 times!

Third, a client who ask me to have a phone call, worse a video call, gives me the impression is violating my privacy and time too. Not everyone feels comfortable to have phone calls with strangers and often that requires more preparation, non mentioning we often have very different time zones, and no I'm not available to have any phone call with a client at 2am. 

I suggest you (depends of your services of course) to just avoid phone calls, especially in your situation being a teenager. Complete your gig, behave and work professionally...if you are delivering what you are promoting in your gigs, your age, look and any sort of personal data shouldn't be any buyer concern!!!

Guest curiosity_tube
2 hours ago, roxana_nesfintu said:

First reason is because I want everything written down, so in case of any dispute or disagreement I have proof to show to clients themselves but also to CS too how things actually went. And it happened to me some similar experience in past, I was able to send screenshots about the conversation, with a phone call that wouldn't be possible!  

That is a very good idea! Surely using that in the future!

Uhh, by call, do you mean the Fiverr approved Zoom meeting function that is only available with certain buyers? If you mean by phone call or any other type of off platform call, you run the very real risk of violating the ToS unless the communication method has been approved by CS...

Guest curiosity_tube
On 2/23/2022 at 6:07 PM, enunciator said:

Uhh, by call, do you mean the Fiverr approved Zoom meeting function that is only available with certain buyers? If you mean by phone call or any other type of off platform call, you run the very real risk of violating the ToS unless the communication method has been approved by CS...

My client was a Fiverr Verified Business so yes, I had the Fiverr Approved Zoom Call

I think buyer never intended to buy from you. How much was your offer ? Unless it's at least 500$+ order I don't think anyone would ask free samples even zoom call. If it was 20$ order anyone could have bought without asking much. It's too cheap. Cheap prices sometimes bring even cheaper clients. 

Archived