Are Additional Payments Normal?

holybela

Question

Good morning

I am afraid I am new to Fiverr and just wondered if I could ask a question.

I hired someone on Fiverr a couple of days ago on my other account to design a banner for my website.  The fee looked reasonable and around what I expected to pay for such a service and their work examples looked good despite no reviews.

I hired them, filled out their questions page and left it with them.  All I wanted was something basic, no logos, no actual designing but I’m too busy to fiddle about with design editors.

an hour later, I receive a message requesting an additional fee which is 5x what I originally paid to create this product.

I checked the listing and also profile incase this was detailed but there is nothing.

im not sure if this is how Fiverr works with counter offers after purchase, the fee is now so high, I could have went to someone local for cheaper.

am I being taken for a ride or is this normal :/

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, holybela said:

im not sure if this is how Fiverr works with counter offers after purchase, the fee is now so high, I could have went to someone local for cheaper.

Hmm - sounds quite sketchy. Unless you'd asked for something extra (or not covered by the original order which seems unlikely based on what you wrote) it seems like a bait-and-switch kind of situation. Of course, if you'd accidentally ordered the wrong thing (which has happened to me before and I had to adjust prices/delivery times with buyers) then that's another thing - but to me it sounds like you knew exactly what you were ordering. Unfortunately some categories on here seem to have lots of new sellers who are convinced that this is the way to go. I most likely would message CS and see what they say and look for someone with a (perhaps higher price) but at least a good amount of reviews. 

8 hours ago, holybela said:

am I being taken for a ride

Yes, unless the banner you want is a lot (and I mean A LOT) more complicated than you realize. Which is unlikely, so the seller is probably trying to trick you into paying more.

8 hours ago, holybela said:

is this normal

No, it's definitely not normal. I mean, mistakes happen, sometimes a buyer accidentally orders the cheaper package, or doesn't understand how much something costs (for example, there are buyers who hire a video maker for $20 and expect a video they've seen on the national television that would cost $10,000 at least, or hire a copywriter for $20 and expect something like an Apple ad), but most of the time, when the seller demands five time as much as their gig typically costs, they're just trying to take advantage of a buyer who is new to Fiverr.

Archived