Segregate your gigs by specialty

gina_riley2

Although it may not be your best gig but it could get you a long term client. What am I talking about? Your gigs of course. 🙂

As an example, when I was looking for a seller to write me an article on the history of basketball, I wanted to deviate from my usual set of tried and true sellers. I wanted to hire someone that was a sports enthusiast.

Out of the millions of gigs, I can only remember maybe 5 or so article writers that offered a specialty gig about sports. One was a soccer ️ (European Football) and he had a really nice gig.

Although he had several sales, this gig had none. That didn't matter to me as he is already a proven, experienced seller. I ordered and then continued to keep him for future articles on other subject.

I think it's a good idea to have a catch all gig, but it's okay to have a few specialty gigs. You can catch a good buyer looking for a notch.

Another example, ESL or English as a second language is a hot topic. People seek proofers, editors, etc. They are willing to pay top dollar and many companies charge 3x up to 5x more than their regular editing gigs. If you happen to fall into this category, you can make some really good money with minimal competition. Not many sellers on 5r sell that.

So, this is not a trick to get more orders, sometimes the road least traveled is the better route.

Good Morning, Gina! 👋🏻

I agree with you. I have 11 active gigs and one that our friend Gjorgji has created a gig image for, but I still have to make the write-up. All of them are for proofreading of some sort. I do offer to proofread ESL, but my price is only slightly higher than my regular prices.

If you have different gigs in various niches of proofreading, your service is out there more often in the search. I have been contacted many times through my catch-all gig to do proofreading for business or one of the other services I provide.

It is good to see you here creating thought-provoking advice that this forum needs. We have too few buyers that come to the Fiverr Forum to give we sellers valuable advice from a buyer's viewpoint. Thank you. 

On 10/4/2021 at 9:53 AM, gina_riley2 said:

I think it's a good idea to have a catch all gig, but it's okay to have a few specialty gigs. You can catch a good buyer looking for a notch.

I second this! Ever since I've started to make more specific gigs, I've been getting more and more orders. Some might be 'too' specific (for example I have two gigs that are game-writing but only for 1-1 genre (sort of) but that seems to help people who are looking for these kinds of things exactly! 

I don't offer ESL specific writing (although technically I am qualified) but I do think that's a really good market to break into, too. I have several buyers coming to me almost every week looking for games for kids/students in general! I feel like even tourism/travel related things could be great right now (since everyone wants to leave the house!) When I'm purchasing art, I also try to look for someone who offers exactly what I need (like, game assets, etc.) instead of just a general gig (scouting the market right now for my own game one day!) It's risky to go the very specific route but also helps a lot if you know what you're doing (I think, that is!) 

Archived