Watermark, the updated situation

manuelmarino

Ok, this is very important. Seems that only the graphic categories are protected by the Watermark option. Not the other categories. Which is a real problem.

While the majority of the customers are good guys, sooner or later you'll meet someone who'll try to steal your work. This is an uncommon situation, of course, but could happen.

The only protection we have is the Watermark. I absolutely need a Watermark for sound and music. I don't know the other categories how much this is important.

At the moment I apply a Watermark manually, but an automatic management like with the images, would be fantastic. I'm not reading this anywhere at the moment, even if I know that Fiverr is considering to expanding the Watermark option. Nothing sure anyway. 🙂

Your ideas?

Sound and music are not visual art mediums. Watermarks, by definition, are for visual artwork. If you are specifically selling audio work, what, exactly, would you need to put a visual watermark on? You do not appear to be offering any graphic art services. Doesn't the delivery of the ordered audio, voice, or music file fulfill the services you are offering (and, yes, I did look at your gigs)?

On 8/21/2021 at 12:53 AM, jonbaas said:

Sound and music are not visual art mediums. Watermarks, by definition, are for visual artwork. If you are specifically selling audio work, what, exactly, would you need to put a visual watermark on? You do not appear to be offering any graphic art services. Doesn't the delivery of the ordered audio, voice, or music file fulfill the services you are offering (and, yes, I did look at your gigs)?

He is talking about an "audio watermak", generally a voice at regular interval wich say for example "This track is a demo version". 

I put an audio watermak on all my audio tracks, and I remove it only on the final delivery. However, it's like watermark on video and images, it can be removed with little work, but stealers don't like to work, do they? 🤣 

4 hours ago, teramangala said:

He is talking about an "audio watermak", generally a voice at regular interval wich say for example "This track is a demo version". 

I know. However, my point was, I assume there's a different term than "watermark" (or "audio watermark") for non-visual media. A watermark, according to the dictionary, is defined as both, "a translucent design impressed on the surface of paper and visible when the paper is held to the light", or, in regards to artwork, "a logo superimposed on a digital image". Neither of these apply to audio media, since audio media is not graphical. Surely there's a more audio-specific term for a temporary, "this is a demo version" track, than a graphical "watermark". 

53 minutes ago, jonbaas said:

I know. However, my point was, I assume there's a different term than "watermark" (or "audio watermark") for non-visual media. A watermark, according to the dictionary, is defined as both, "a translucent design impressed on the surface of paper and visible when the paper is held to the light", or, in regards to artwork, "a logo superimposed on a digital image". Neither of these apply to audio media, since audio media is not graphical. Surely there's a more audio-specific term for a temporary, "this is a demo version" track, than a graphical "watermark". 

Perhaps, however every body I know use the term "audio watermark". It's a kind of transluscent sound impressed on the surface of the music. 😁

(Google it you will see a lot of people is using this term, you find it in Wikipedia, but perhaps not in the dictionary)

55 minutes ago, jonbaas said:

I think it's just called an audio watermark. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_watermark

Though there might be other terms for it too.

I think putting an audio watermark (at least an audible one) in the file you attach to the delivery box might get you into trouble (even if you gave them the one without that after the order was complete, though you could give them one with that audio watermark in posts on the order page and when they accept then deliver without it), it would be best to check with CS, since the TOS says:

Using the “Deliver Work” button when an Order was not fulfilled may result in a cancellation of that Order after review, affect the Seller’s rating and result in a warning to Seller.

I agree they should do something so an audible audio watermark can get added automatically and then removed when they accept the order. Maybe contacting CS and requesting it might help it be done. Also putting it in Fiverr Site Suggestions might help a bit if they ever read that (though I'm sure it's been suggested before).

Maybe CS would allow a non-audible audio watermark to be delivered that can, with the right software, still show that you created it - though I'm not sure - it would need to be checked with CS (eg. the final rights to the work would belong to the buyer - if they didn't cancel - so I'm not sure whether that would be allowed in it, though if they did allow it and you did that you could explain it in the gig description/FAQ so the buyer might be less likely to cancel and use the delivered work that they didn't pay for).

Archived