I will pay if I like your design

mr_ingenious

No.

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

No.

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

Thank you. But sometime it gets confusing to decide. As for startup gigs.

The issue starts with many sellers offering ‘you only have to pay if you like it’- making it very easy to scam them. I’ve made a couple buyer’s requests and at least half of the sellers said that I can wait with placing an order until I like the product (which I assume is a way to avoid negative reviews). I can easily understand many buyers feeling like they can just do the same with everyone once a couple newbies present this as an actual way of well, getting what they want.
TL.DR.: Don’t do it. Chances are they “won’t like” your work.

Never ever ever!

Think of this scenario:
You send them the design and they ask for multiple revisions until they receive the design that they like. After they get that design, they can just block you and keep their design for free! Now you’ve just spent tons of time for no money at all!

Or this scenario:
Once you send them a starting design, they find tons of things that they want to change. You’re spending hours and hours working on their design, but they might not even order. They could keep bothering you all day to fix the design!

There’s so many possible things that could go wrong with making the design first!

• 2 weeks later...

The issue starts with many sellers offering ‘you only have to pay if you like it’- making it very easy to scam them. I’ve made a couple buyer’s requests and at least half of the sellers said that I can wait with placing an order until I like the product (which I assume is a way to avoid negative reviews). I can easily understand many buyers feeling like they can just do the same with everyone once a couple newbies present this as an actual way of well, getting what they want.

TL.DR.: Don’t do it. Chances are they “won’t like” your work.

Don’t do it. Chances are they “won’t like” your work.

Wonderful Speech! Thanks.

Archived