Does staying online all the time help in getting order?

bigbrains

But your profile says your average response time 1 hour.

I have never stayed online during the night (even though it’s peak activity time for my buyers). In case they message me during the night, I answer their queries when I start work in the morning.

How we justify it.?

@ashikcserng

I work on Fiverr from 10 am to 7/8pm, Indian time. During my working hours, I respond quite promptly to any messages I receive from prospective buyers (within an hour of receiving the same). I’m assuming Fiverr has an algorithm to calculate this, and that the messages I receive during the night (which I reply to in the morning) don’t affect the average response time to that extent. Probably it’s outnumbered by the messages I receive (and reply to) during my working hours? Not sure, maybe someone can shed light on this calculation.

• Like 3

Why do you say this? What is your experience?

Your profile shows you have zero feedback. Zero.

Will people please stop offering such poor advice.

Thank you for such a great advice and yes probably the best time to be active is when you are comfortable with the timings. one should not disturb his sleep for maintaining their average response time.

• Like 1

There is a reason that sellers get 24 hours to reply to a new enquiry (without it affecting their statistics). It is physically impossible to be online all the time on the site, tbh. You’ll be wrecking your peace of mind, your sleep cycle and a lot of other things - please don’t subscribe to this notion that ‘staying online gets you more orders’. I live in India and most of my clients are from the US - I’ve been on this site for 4 years now and I have never stayed online during the night (even though it’s peak activity time for my buyers). In case they message me during the night, I answer their queries when I start work in the morning.

I completely agree with @english_voice in the last part of his message. It is very physically draining and unhealthy.

Thank you! And I fully agree with your points.

It doesn’t matter where in the world you are from, what your background is, etc - if you’ve got skills to share and you’re a good seller - then Fiverr needs you!

But it frustrates me when some people repeat bad advice, as I know there will be some very desperate individuals somewhere in the world who will follow that bad advice.

If someone tells them it’s a good idea to reply to a message at 3am - they will do it. No! Get a good night sleep, then wake up naturally, and THEN reply to the message.

• Like 2

@ashikcserng

I work on Fiverr from 10 am to 7/8pm, Indian time. During my working hours, I respond quite promptly to any messages I receive from prospective buyers (within an hour of receiving the same). I’m assuming Fiverr has an algorithm to calculate this, and that the messages I receive during the night (which I reply to in the morning) don’t affect the average response time to that extent. Probably it’s outnumbered by the messages I receive (and reply to) during my working hours? Not sure, maybe someone can shed light on this calculation.

Probably it’s outnumbered by the messages I receive (and reply to) during my working hours? Not sure, maybe someone can shed light on this calculation.

I think you’re right and that it must be outnumbered by the messages you receive when you are able to quickly respond (so if you’re able to respond during your active hours within a few mins to new messages that arrive then, your average could should be able to show as 1 hour with enough of them). For people who only get their messages from people in another timezone at eg. 3 AM the response time can then get quite high.

Also it’s quite unfair to sellers how it rounds response times when it gets to > a day (eg. what would be a 1.5 day response time would get shown as 2 days due to rounding - so Fiver would then have added 12 hours to the true average).

• Like 2

Probably it’s outnumbered by the messages I receive (and reply to) during my working hours? Not sure, maybe someone can shed light on this calculation.

I think you’re right and that it must be outnumbered by the messages you receive when you are able to quickly respond (so if you’re able to respond during your active hours within a few mins to new messages that arrive then, your average could should be able to show as 1 hour with enough of them). For people who only get their messages from people in another timezone at eg. 3 AM the response time can then get quite high.

Also it’s quite unfair to sellers how it rounds response times when it gets to > a day (eg. what would be a 1.5 day response time would get shown as 2 days due to rounding - so Fiver would then have added 12 hours to the true average).

but I don’t know why this doesn’t happened with me. one of my buyer messaged me at 2 am as per my timezone and I replied him in the morning and suddenly my response time move to 6 hours. after that I have to keep checking my phone in the midnight so that I can manage the 1 hour response time… any solution or opinion for this?

• Like 1

but I don’t know why this doesn’t happened with me. one of my buyer messaged me at 2 am as per my timezone and I replied him in the morning and suddenly my response time move to 6 hours. after that I have to keep checking my phone in the midnight so that I can manage the 1 hour response time… any solution or opinion for this?

I agree it’s unfair really and you can be unlucky really (about the times the messages appear and whether there are enough to average out the ones that you receive in the middle of the night) but just try to get enough buyers that you will get enough from timezones that you can respond to faster. Maybe send enough offers to buyer requests that you can do well and hopefully some of them will message you during times you can respond faster.

• Like 2

Thank you! And I fully agree with your points.

It doesn’t matter where in the world you are from, what your background is, etc - if you’ve got skills to share and you’re a good seller - then Fiverr needs you!

But it frustrates me when some people repeat bad advice, as I know there will be some very desperate individuals somewhere in the world who will follow that bad advice.

If someone tells them it’s a good idea to reply to a message at 3am - they will do it. No! Get a good night sleep, then wake up naturally, and THEN reply to the message.

Yes absolutely, couldn’t agree with this more.

True. I feel your frustration. The worst is when some posts package it under titles such as ‘sure-fire ways to get orders on Fiverr’ or ‘tips that guarantee success on Fiverr’ because that just isn’t true. I just wish people don’t follow herd mentality in these aspects and actually do their research before blindly following some pieces of advice, especially since the forum is also filled with posts by sellers who do not advocate staying online 24/7.

Yes. Hundred per cent. Quality of sleep is so important and burning the midnight oil every day is just going to be very detrimental to overall levels of productivity. :woman_shrugging:t4:

• Like 2

Yes absolutely, couldn’t agree with this more.

True. I feel your frustration. The worst is when some posts package it under titles such as ‘sure-fire ways to get orders on Fiverr’ or ‘tips that guarantee success on Fiverr’ because that just isn’t true. I just wish people don’t follow herd mentality in these aspects and actually do their research before blindly following some pieces of advice, especially since the forum is also filled with posts by sellers who do not advocate staying online 24/7.

Yes. Hundred per cent. Quality of sleep is so important and burning the midnight oil every day is just going to be very detrimental to overall levels of productivity. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Well said! I know that some of my posts might come across as mini rants, but ultimately I’m trying debunk some of the rubbish that people post in order to protect less experienced sellers (and buyers). The very fact that people repeat such nonsense about trying to stay online 24/7 must mean they believe it to be true - otherwise, why would they post it?

Being a freelancer and protecting your mental and physical health is already tough enough. We don’t need silly people encouraging us to do things that will damage our health.

• Like 3

For people who only get their messages from people in another timezone at eg. 3 AM the response time can then get quite high.

Ah yes, this makes sense.

1.5 days is actually quite tricky - it’s neither one day nor two days. I think the platform just rounds it to the latter instead of the former, to give buyers the outer statistic and keep them informed that a reply can take up to 2 days. But yes, it does hurt the seller in a way (because some buyers might be deterred by the 2 day wait time if they are looking for some quick work).

• Like 1

I barely ever get orders when I am online. In fact, I usually get most orders during the days when I am busy doing other things and spending very little time on Fiverr.

So, I think the new go-to advice should be: Stay OFFLINE 24/7 🙃

haha, what we expect for, they will hide us. And when we stop thinking about it for a while, It suddenly come. a comment scenario.

• Like 1

For people who only get their messages from people in another timezone at eg. 3 AM the response time can then get quite high.

Ah yes, this makes sense.

1.5 days is actually quite tricky - it’s neither one day nor two days. I think the platform just rounds it to the latter instead of the former, to give buyers the outer statistic and keep them informed that a reply can take up to 2 days. But yes, it does hurt the seller in a way (because some buyers might be deterred by the 2 day wait time if they are looking for some quick work).

Though if they’re going to show it in days rather than hours (when it’s >= 24 hours I assume) then they should probably show with 1 decimal place. That way they wouldn’t be showing it with 12 more hours than the actual hours when it’s 1.5 days. eg/. they could show it as “Response Time: 1.5 days” instead of 2 days (if saying 36 hours wasn’t clear enough).

• Like 1

Though if they’re going to show it in days rather than hours (when it’s >= 24 hours I assume) then they should probably show with 1 decimal place. That way they wouldn’t be showing it with 12 more hours than the actual hours when it’s 1.5 days. eg/. they could show it as “Response Time: 1.5 days” instead of 2 days (if saying 36 hours wasn’t clear enough).

Fair enough. Guess their automation system doesn’t have this provision in place. Have you written this in the platform’s Feedback section? They might look into the same. :thinking:

• Like 2

Fair enough. Guess their automation system doesn’t have this provision in place. Have you written this in the platform’s Feedback section? They might look into the same. :thinking:

I’ve posted in the forum’s suggestion section for a better way to calculate and display response times. It didn’t mention that specific thing about the response times >= 24 hours though. That’s rarer though. But the whole response time thing could be shown in a better/fairer way (so that, like the thread title, people don’t feel they need to stay on all the time / have to respond half way through the night to keep their response rate low enough. As it is it pressures the sellers too much and isn’t that informative to buyers).

Though Fiverr might not actually be reading the suggestions section of the forum. They used to be more involved with the forum.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...