POLL - Poor Quality Gig Audio & Video!

steve_maxell

poll2  

115 members have voted

1. 1. poll2

• Fiverr stop compressing audio/video gig samples.
    • Fiverr compression is not something that bothers me or notice.

That is really terrible and it will cause a problem for the entire category and sales.

I had a client who asked me if I can deliver a file that isn’t as heavily processed because it sounded robotic.

I don’t compress my files so I asked him if he downloaded the file or if he listened in through the playback window within the delivery.

Of course it was the playback window on the site. He confirmed that the quality of the downloaded file was much better.

Seems like I will have to ask clients to download the file directly in order to check the work from now on.

Seriously how is this OK? 20% off every order and we get such a road block?

😡. Pfffft rant over!

It’s a problem they obviously are not interested in right now.

I’ve lost count of the times of heard that… And probably done lots of unnecessary revisions because of this. A sample rate of 22k sucks the dynamics right out of a recording.

I’m embarrassed that I have to mention this. And inconvenience the client who may be checking his recording on his smartphone but not able to download it until later… so they walk around all day thinking what a Lo-Fi recording that was. :robot:

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Is commenting on your post just to keep it alive ,ok? :thinking:

I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION !!!

Granted, I haven’t yet tested it — but it came from watching this video about maximum loudness on Spotify.

(“How Loud Should You Master Your Music?”)

In it, he explains that the site itself sets a maximum loudness limit of -1 or -2 db,and anything louder than that is “crunched down”, making it sound like crap. If you are like me, for advertising purposes on the internet, I tend to punch my audio up to -0.1db, to get the loudest possible effect - in case someone is using a laptop or tablet with crappy built-in speakers.

Well, it turns out, that may be harming your audio upon upload to a site with a built-in limiter of -1 or -2 db. Again, I haven’t yet tested this theory, but it is possible that this is the cause of the horrible compressed sound. Something to consider !!!

Let me know if you tested this theory in the comments.

• Like 9

Granted, I haven’t yet tested it — but it came from watching this video about maximum loudness on Spotify.

In it, he explains that the site itself sets a maximum loudness limit of -1 or -2 db,and anything louder than that is “crunched down”, making it sound like crap. If you are like me, for advertising purposes on the internet, I tend to punch my audio up to -0.1db, to get the loudest possible effect - in case someone is using a laptop or tablet with crappy built-in speakers.

Well, it turns out, that may be harming your audio upon upload to a site with a built-in limiter of -1 or -2 db. Again, I haven’t yet tested this theory, but it is possible that this is the cause of the horrible compressed sound. Something to consider !!!

This sounds like a reasonable solution,

However my -1db file from 1 year ago on my gig is good.

The bit rate sucks currently, I’ve kind of given up on it 😦

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

I don’t think many ‘Fiverr’ buyers notice.

It’s not an across the board thing - files that were loaded up ages ago are fine - it’s newer files that are compressed.

The other thing to think about it the cost of hosting higher quality audio - I don’t want them to take a greater commission to cover the cost, personally.

Not true.

I had such a hard time looking for the “right” mix and mastering engineer only to realize that i cannot tell how their work sounds because of the poor audio quality Fiverr plays back in previews.

• Like 8

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/29/2019 at 5:53 AM, stevebatesvo said:

Tried it with a ceiling of -5db.... does not help... 

• Like 8

• 8 months later...

Fiverr obviously wants to limit the amount of data they have to store, but they wouldn't even have to turn off their compression. Quite literally all they would need to do is allow people to embed a YouTube video where their video isn't compressed and doesn't sound like complete garbage.

• Like 5