Why grammar is super important for us sellers

smashradio

So if you’re client is a grammar ****, watch out!

I assume this was a deliberate mistake? 😉

Grammar does matter to me as a buyer on Fiverr (And as someone who spends a fair bit of money elsewhere online.) The fact is, it doesn’t take long to check and use correct grammar, and, all other things being equal, people will likely hire someone with a better command of language and grammar.

Why penalize yourself in the first place by not checking for grammar and English mistakes?

If it makes a difference to even 10 percent of buyers, then I don’t see why people wouldn’t do that.

I assume this was a deliberate mistake?

Seinfeld had a Soup N, so I don’t see why Grammar N is something that gets flagged.

Why penalize yourself in the first place by not checking for grammar and English mistakes?

Why assume everyone is great with grammar and spelling? To detect errors you must first know what is an error, not everyone knows that.

Besides, anything can kill a sale, a bad gig image can be very destructive, so can a bad profile picture. Think of how many times we publish a gig, thinking everything is perfect, only to find an embarrassing mistake weeks or months later.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seinfeld had a Soup N, so I don’t see why Grammar N is something that gets flagged.

Why assume everyone is great with grammar and spelling? To detect errors you must first know what is an error, not everyone knows that.

Besides, anything can kill a sale, a bad gig image can be very destructive, so can a bad profile picture. Think of how many times we publish a gig, thinking everything is perfect, only to find an embarrassing mistake weeks or months later.

pretty wise said, I like it 🙃

Actually, it was “your” versus “you’re.”

Anyway, I feel we’re talking at cross purposes here - grammar does matter to some buyers, it may not matter to others. My view is that you should do everything (including gig images, descriptions, grammar, etc) to maximize the chance of sales. To do otherwise is to penalize yourself.

Since I don’t have anything else to add to the discussion, I will yield the floor.

I think grammar matters to presenting a professional image,

If I’m hiring a hip hop artist, a dancer, a makeup expert, personal trainer, singer, logo designer, graphic designer, then grammar is secondary if it’s a factor at all.

It’s like a TV production, the people in front of the cameras are pretty, the people behind the camera are often scary. Often wearing shorts, sometimes they’re obese or have tattoos or look like bikers. Why? Because they’re not paid to be pretty. It’s the same with reporters vs. cameramen, the reporter might be wearing a suit while the cameraman wears whatever he wants.

if you don’t care enough about your gig description and messaging to check it for grammar, spelling, etc, how can I know you will care about what you deliver?

Because I’m not hiring for your grammar. If I hire a designer, I’m paying for amazing designs. If his grammar is great but his designs are so-so, I will be disappointed.

Look, everyone thinks that what they do is the most important thing. English teachers think everyone needs good grammar, math teachers think everyone needs math, sports coaches think everyone needs sports. The reality is very different. I rarely if ever use math, I have zero use for trigonometry, calculus, and most of the math I learned in school. I might do an equation once in a while: “If I make $50 a day, how much will I make in a 30-day month.” But for the most part, math plays little relevance in my life.

Grammar is more relevant, people who can’t write, can’t create, can’t be original, are often great at catching spelling or grammatical mistakes. So if you’re client is a grammar ****, watch out!

I agree with this to an extent, but it can be difficult to communicate with someone regarding an order if they don’t have good English. This obviously says nothing about their abilities, but it is something the buyer must consider before placing an order. Will that seller be able to understand their requirements? Is the explanation of their gig offering clear?

Anyway, I feel we’re talking at cross purposes here - grammar does matter to some buyers, it may not matter to others. My view is that you should do everything (including gig images, descriptions, grammar, etc) to maximize the chance of sales. To do otherwise is to penalize yourself.

Since I don’t have anything else to add to the discussion, I will yield the floor.

I know the difference between your and you’re (you are). Don’t remember making that mistake on the forum.

I will agree that for some buyers, grammar matters. Then again, for some buyers, looks matters, video matters, price matters, national origin matters, etc. I feel sorry for those discriminated against for not being “native English speakers.” I can tell you there are plenty of native English speakers that can barely speak it, much less write it.

Will that seller be able to understand their requirements? Is the explanation of their gig offering clear?

All buyers have a responsibility to communicate clearly. I speak perfect English, yet I’ve deal with native English speakers who couldn’t be clear if their lives depended upon it.

Grammar only matters to writers.

I think grammar matters to presenting a professional image, no matter what service you are providing. Buyers use all sorts of subconscious and subtle cues to decide who they are going to buy from. After all, if you don’t care enough about your gig description and messaging to check it for grammar, spelling, etc, how can I know you will care about what you deliver?

I think grammar matters to presenting a professional image, no matter what service you are providing

You mean there’s a difference between the following?

sign_009.jpg.3670f9503bc76f08abc34877c484a07a.jpg

404x404.jpg.b0b47784a4425271d34a19b895cc57cc.jpg

Fiverr and Seinfeld have very little in common. In addition, what was okay even in comedy isn’t always okay in today’s climate. If someone flags you, it is easier to change the behavior and move on than to come up with arguments.

Although I’m usually not the grammar police (note a less sensitive way to word this) I’ll point it out for you in case you want to understand what Paul was referring to:

I know the difference between your and you’re (you are). Don’t remember making that mistake on the forum.

As far as I know, you didn’t mean “you are client”.

Fiverr and Seinfeld have very little in common. In addition, what was okay even in comedy isn’t always okay in today’s climate. If someone flags you, it is easier to change the behavior and move on than to come up with arguments.

Although I’m usually not the grammar police (note a less sensitive way to word this) I’ll point it out for you in case you want to understand what Paul was referring to:

As far as I know, you didn’t mean “you are client”.

I appreciate you finding my grammatical mistake. I tried doing CTRL-F but it doesn’t work well here.

I’m just surprised at how mainstream expressions that continued to be used long after Seinfeld ended are suddenly politically incorrect in the forum. The whole flagging system is dubious, I’ve seen perfectly innocuous comments being flagged.

“I don’t like him, I’m gonna flag him.” Kinda like the down arrows one sees on Daily Mail.

Yes, grammar matters, but thinking “I can’t sell on Fiverr because my grammar is bad” is a mistake.

I think grammar matters to presenting a professional image, no matter what service you are providing

You mean there’s a difference between the following?

c95ba28a48a162abd4481e1578ff82a1f1d1fcd8.jpg

😯 What is it shredded beef soup (broth) or somethin’? 😶

The Grammar 🚔police spiel just keeps going & going.

energizerbunny.jpg.ffa1201b4527febe37ffbced787e9db6.jpg

I appreciate you finding my grammatical mistake. I tried doing CTRL-F but it doesn’t work well here.

I’m just surprised at how mainstream expressions that continued to be used long after Seinfeld ended are suddenly politically incorrect in the forum. The whole flagging system is dubious, I’ve seen perfectly innocuous comments being flagged.

“I don’t like him, I’m gonna flag him.” Kinda like the down arrows one sees on Daily Mail.

Yes, grammar matters, but thinking “I can’t sell on Fiverr because my grammar is bad” is a mistake.

I’m just surprised at how mainstream expressions that continued to be used long after Seinfeld ended are suddenly politically incorrect in the forum.

It’s a global professional site and what is acceptable on an American comedy TV shows has never been a standard that applies here. There was a shift from a casual forum to a more professional one when Fiverr changed to Discourse for multiple reasons and the moderators aren’t given all of those reasons. In reality, only a handful of users have really had any problem using the forum without breaking the rules too often. As far as the grammar mistake, I assumed it was a typo originally and I make mistakes like that all the time on the forum. I don’t claim to be a guru at writing even though I think I can write a decent blog post.

I agree that grammar can be important as the OP states, although I personally think attitude is even more important. If you make a minor typing a mistake, a buyer can ignore that. If you were to call the buyer a name, including N***, I doubt most would find that appealing.

I’m out of this now, I have no more horses in whatever race you are running. If you want to get flagged, you know how, and I really think you know how to avoid it too. That’s up to you. ☮️

Mike, no teef to eat beef? 😯 What is it shredded beef soup (broth) or somethin’? 😶

The Grammar 🚔

energizerbunny.jpg620×720 70.7 KB

Actually, I’ve been there. It is killer Texas BBQ. Great stuff, but the sign seemed to fit the discussion.

BrisketRibsSausageFranklinBBQ380.jpg.25f0e3510dca98115827613fc42e7fbf.jpg

you are right but mostly unprofessional individuals on fiverr got very bad communication skills

Alas, your comment is a clear example of poor grammar. 😉

71278_1.png ubaidhussain:

you are right but mostly unprofessional individuals on fiverr got very bad communication skills

Alas, your comment is a clear example of poor grammar. 😉

Dry humour is strong with you oh learned one 😂

Actually, I’ve been there. It is killer Texas BBQ. Great stuff, but the sign seemed to fit the discussion.

bd39e783dbbcf16a71dc37c976fe9e918dad5d73.jpg

Oh, coolio!

Mmmmm, oh so tempting 😋

Love me some juicy BBQ

:ok_hand:t4:

Archived