Sign NDA contract?

freddyfiver1

Never been asked to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA). It requires me to give the buyer my full name and info, which I am not really comfortable doing. Should I be concerned and decline doing business with this buyer?

I sign NDAs all the time for clients not on Fiverr without an issue. get the buyer to read through Fiverr TOS and see if there are provisions in there that will satisfy them. If not, then it’s up to you if you want to sign.

I sign NDAs all the time for clients not on Fiverr without an issue. get the buyer to read through Fiverr TOS and see if there are provisions in there that will satisfy them. If not, then it’s up to you if you want to sign.

If I remember correctly, I think there is a provision in the fiverr tos that says I will keep all info confidential by default, which serves a similar purpose as an NDA. I’ll check it out again. thanks.

well you should ask the buyer to read the TOS and under TOS you shouldn’t have to give that much out.
and I think Under TOS a buyer shouldn’t share his personal information with the seller. please check the TOS to confirm.

but it sounds like little fishy to ask for full name and other personal information.

Nothing fishy about it. It all depends on each individual buyer and project itself. I have signed NDA’s before after getting permission from CS.

It’s up to you to decide if this is something you feel comfortable doing.

This question comes up now and then, so I decide to answer it more fully since I see it regularly posted.

It is technically up to the seller if an agreement is made with a buyer and it involves the provision of personal information. The information cannot be provided until after the order starts and should only be exchanged through the order page, generally via attachments. That said, it was be a complex problem for Fiverr sellers where the option for anonymity is generally highly valued. Providing information can also lead to unforeseen consequences if a buyer assumes that also implies options for outside contact or payment and that can get you into trouble.

Fiverr’s ToS already has some built in protection for buyers since confidentiality can just be stated as part of the agreement a buyer and seller make. If the seller were to violate that and disclose something they shouldn’t, the buyer can report it to Fiverr and the seller can be lose the funds and even be banned if they violate their agreement.

Some buyers don’t feel those protections are enough and they want a legal agreement so they could literally sue a seller in a court of law… Of course, on a global site that might present it’s own problems to the buyer… I can understand why some buyers want that option, but is it worth the risk to the seller? If you do live in the same country as the buyer, do you want to leave the door open for outside contact, feedback repercussions or legal action? (There are some long time sellers here who can tell horror stories about things that have happened when they used their real names and another user went after them.)

Personally, I wouldn’t risk signing any contract with anything but my username. I have signed NDA’s with my username and I tell the buyer that it serves as my business name and is a digital signature of sorts. Some buyers go for it and some don’t. I’ve never violated an NDA, so no buyer has ever had cause to worry anyway. Buyers that don’t feel comfortable enough to have me sign using my business name only can go off-Fiverr or to another seller and I’m fine with that. The bottom line is that it’s up to you, though Fiverr’s no contact rule gives you enough basis to tell a buyer that you just don’t feel comfortable exchanging information that could lead to outside contact.

I wouldn’t do it unless the monetary reward of doing the job was high. I would first check with customer support. What I define as high would be over $2000. NDA’s are customary in some types of businesses.

If I came across this frequently, I would form a corporation and sign as an officer of that.

• 1 year later...

A Non Disclosure Agreement basically means you wont share any information you’ve spoken about to outside sources without ones concent. I dont see any problem with an inventor trying to protect their property while getting help designing computer graphics.

Archived