What is the Best Laptop for Freelancers/Graphic Desigers?

official_nomi

poll  

328 members have voted

1. 1. poll

Maybe have a challenge where you compare the rendering of the same scene (or video/composition) on the Pavilion laptop vs another quality desktop computer and see if there are any differences in speed of render?

I imagine, if they can use the same processor, the laptop may still be limited by speed to prevent overheating eg. less room for fans (but I’d think a desktop should be able to use better/faster processors?). Maybe the laptop can have less RAM, or not the best GPU etc.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe have a challenge where you compare the rendering of the same scene (or video/composition) on the Pavilion laptop vs another quality desktop computer and see if there are any differences in speed of render?

I imagine, if they can use the same processor, the laptop may still be limited by speed to prevent overheating eg. less room for fans (but I’d think a desktop should be able to use better/faster processors?). Maybe the laptop can have less RAM, or not the best GPU etc.

I’ve got my Alienware on a cooling pad but in six years it’s never had one problem. I’ve never downloaded Windows Updates for one thing, which I’m sure can at some point mess up any computer.

I’ve got my Alienware on a cooling pad but in six years it’s never had one problem. I’ve never downloaded Windows Updates for one thing, which I’m sure can at some point mess up any computer.

I’ve got my Alienware on a cooling pad but in six years it’s never had one problem

But even so, maybe the laptop limits the CPU speed (if it could go as fast as a desktop) so that it doesn’t overheat.

The performance of Pavilion when doing rendering is not good.

You can do it, but Pavilion (and in general laptops) are not good for rendering tasks. Slow speed, burning out faster than others, etc.

They are OK with Photoshop, but not with 3D Max for example.

Have a nice WE!

🙂

That’s because the apps for 3D are CPU dependant and the mobile chips designer for laptops don’t have the necessary power for rendering. Although, if you utilize your GPU (some apps allow) a gaming laptop would be perfect.

If you want fast rendering, you need to go with the Intel Xtreme-Series of processors or the AMD Threadripper ones.

They are OK with Photoshop

I do agree with this. That’s because photoshop is optimized to use just two cores - and it benefits from clock speeds.

Although, it depends on the task.

But even so, maybe the laptop limits the CPU speed (if it could go as fast as a desktop) so that it doesn’t overheat.

Well, a laptop or a desktop computer that has a bad thermal design (not enough airflow or just bad cooling) would make the CPU throttle. So in order for the fans to achive “optimal” temperature, the CPU downcloks its boost clock.

There are many things that you can do to fight this. However, this isn’t an IT forum so I would talk more on the matter.

That’s because the apps for 3D are CPU dependant and the mobile chips designer for laptops don’t have the necessary power for rendering. Although, if you utilize your GPU (some apps allow) a gaming laptop would be perfect.

If you want fast rendering, you need to go with the Intel Xtreme-Series of processors or the AMD Threadripper ones.

They are OK with Photoshop

I do agree with this. That’s because photoshop is optimized to use just two cores - and it benefits from clock speeds.

Although, it depends on the task.

Well, a laptop or a desktop computer that has a bad thermal design (not enough airflow or just bad cooling) would make the CPU throttle. So in order for the fans to achive “optimal” temperature, the CPU downcloks its boost clock.

There are many things that you can do to fight this. However, this isn’t an IT forum so I would talk more on the matter.

This laptop definitely gets super hot on the bottom. It has extra large airvents but it’s not enough. I would love to find a more powerful cooling fan for it to rest on. But it doesn’t shut down. I do hear an extra set of cooling fans come on sometimes when I have many websites open at one time.

This laptop definitely gets super hot on the bottom. It has extra large airvents but it’s not enough. I would love to find a more powerful cooling fan for it to rest on. But it doesn’t shut down. I do hear an extra set of cooling fans come on sometimes when I have many websites open at one time.

That’s completely normal for a gaming (Alienware) laptop.

There was an aftermarket cooling pad designed for gaming laptops, but I can’t remember the model or the brand. It was around $100. That might help you, but not much.

If you are super-tech-savvy, you can try to undervolt your CPU. If you are not gaming, there won’t be any difference and your laptop would run a lot cooler.

The third thing, your thermal paste might be worn out, changing it can help you get cooler temperatures.

That’s completely normal for a gaming (Alienware) laptop.

There was an aftermarket cooling pad designed for gaming laptops, but I can’t remember the model or the brand. It was around $100. That might help you, but not much.

If you are super-tech-savvy, you can try to undervolt your CPU. If you are not gaming, there won’t be any difference and your laptop would run a lot cooler.

The third thing, your thermal paste might be worn out, changing it can help you get cooler temperatures.

I love this laptop so much. I tried getting a new Alienware as a backup, and the keyboard space key was making a clicking noise every time I used it. So I sent it back. This keyboard is silent, as they should be.

You can do it, but Pavilion (and in general laptops) are not good for rendering tasks. Slow speed, burning out faster than others, etc.

I’ve had three of them and they do rendering just fine. Not sure what you are talking about. They were not slow. Why would they be?

And why would a laptop be bad at rendering if it has the latest Intel processor? You can do anything with a laptop or a Pavilion you can do with any other high quality computer. I’m using a $2500 Alienware laptop. It’s up to anything. It’s referred to as a “gaming laptop” due to the specs being up to the requirements of gaming.

Alienware is really for rendering but not the Pavilion HP. They tent to burn out.

• 3 weeks later...

The first requirement of freelancers should be lightweight laptop with great battery life as they will need to work from anywhere. Now, if you are into freelance graphic designing, you will need a bit powerful machine. Combining both lightweight design and power, some of the few options that comes in mind are New Dell XPS 15 or 13, MacBook Pro, etc…

Especially the brand is not a fact. From my end, the configure should be

Processor: Core i5 or i7
Ram: 16 - 32 GB DDR4
Screen Size : 15" or +
Storage: 512 SSD M.2
Battery Life 4 to 8 hrs

Right now I am using 2 different laptop one is customize ACER SWIFT 3 and another one is MacBook Pro 2015mid.
I customized the ACER SWIFT 3 change the HDD to SSD and it’s working like a rocket and MacBook outstanding.

☺️

• 5 months later...

I do architectural designs and use photoshop for post renderings and graphics at times. My pc is Alienware R4, 2017 model, Dell. Its fast and does all the things I need to get done. I will recommend this as well to you. Just around $2500 when I got it.

• 5 months later...

I do architectural designs and use photoshop for post renderings and graphics at times. My pc is Alienware R4, 2017 model, Dell. Its fast and does all the things I need to get done. I will recommend this as well to you. Just around $2500 when I got it.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Archived